Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CactusJack
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180126_170806325 (resized).jpg
    LISYcontrol_Switches (resized).jpg
    LISYcontrol_Lamps (resized).jpg
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

Cool, glad to hear this is still alive. I have a Cleopatra that I would love to throw one of these in and have some fun with MPF adding some extras to it.

3 months later
    #52 5 years ago

LISY version 4.07 is released today, together with mpf version 0.50.9 it has a big improvement on the sound implementation.
    In addition to control the Gottlieb soundboard you can play your own mp3 files or use the 'text-to-speech' feature.
    Have a look at the new manual on http://www.lisy80.com and the LISY description on mpf website ( http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/examples/lisy/index.html )
    You will also find a BOM for LISY80 ready to order your components with Digikey ( LISY1 BOM will follow ASAP )

#53 5 years ago

More documentation is up now: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/dev/hardware/lisy/index.html. Let us know if you find any mistakes or miss anything in the documentation.

4 weeks later
    #54 5 years ago

I don't think i'm reading this right. There is the ability to add a lcd to mimic a dmd to a sys1 and sys80 game? Or use the MPF to do video clips on a small screen....

Is it one or the other? Or not possible.

I would like to work on retheming my sys1 Cleopatra to 5th Element/Stargate SG1, and my buddys sys80 Raven to a Predator theme.

Subscribed.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

I don't think i'm reading this right. There is the ability to add a lcd to mimic a dmd to a sys1 and sys80 game? Or use the MPF to do video clips on a small screen....
    Is it one or the other? Or not possible.
    I would like to work on retheming my sys1 Cleopatra to 5th Element/Stargate SG1, and my buddys sys80 Raven to a Predator theme.
    Subscribed.

I think the idea would be that you install MPF on another PC and hook that to the LISY board, using it to interface with the game. At that point you can hook up whatever displays + speakers, etc you want directly to the PC

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I think the idea would be that you install MPF on another PC and hook that to the LISY board, using it to interface with the game. At that point you can hook up whatever displays + speakers, etc you want directly to the PC

I just re-read it. He stated to add a crystal lcd would take an additional 6 i/o which was not available.

Yea... If it were not for this project I was considering selling cleopatra off...

If only there were a way to lower the playfield enough to get clearance for some wireform ramps and height for toys on Cleopatra & Raven...

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

I just re-read it. He stated to add a crystal lcd would take an additional 6 i/o which was not available.
    Yea... If it were not for this project I was considering selling cleopatra off...
    If only there were a way to lower the playfield enough to get clearance for some wireform ramps and height for toys on Cleopatra & Raven...

You can control the segment displays using LISY and MPF. Additionally (or instead of you remove the segment displays) you can connect any LCD monitor (or a DMD with additional hardware) to your PC running MPF. There are very few technical limitations.

Jan

1 week later
    #58 5 years ago

Okay... I got a question. Do you need to run this from a pc? So, that means that my pinball machine would need to be tethered to a pc to run the custom code. Or that I would need to build a pc rig inside the pinball unit. Or am I understanding you all wrong.
    Because, I would love to be able to mess around with this product. But, I fear this might not be right for me. As I still want the machine to be an independent machine and not tethered to anything else.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Okay... I got a question. Do you need to run this from a pc? So, that means that my pinball machine would need to be tethered to a pc to run the custom code. Or that I would need to build a pc rig inside the pinball unit. Or am I understanding you all wrong.
    Because, I would love to be able to mess around with this product. But, I fear this might not be right for me. As I still want the machine to be an independent machine and not tethered to anything else.

My understanding:

Using the original segmented displays, you only really need to tether a PC to it for development purposes (developing directly on the underpowered Pi would be painful), and it will run the result 100% on the Pi after you copy the finished setup to it. In order to run anything with the MPF Media Controller (DMD or Video), then it needs to be run on an "external" PC, as the Pi doesn't have enough horsepower to run the Media Controller alongside MPF. My understanding of the latter is that something like a NUC should be powerful enough to do that.

I've got a board on the way to me, and I'll probably go the "segmented display" route and use it to enhance the existing Solar Ride within the limits of the hardware. I'm expecting that I'll be able to duplicate some of the functionality of a Pascal or Ni-Wumpff with few problems, and it will be a good way to experiment with the platform for future pinball experiments, plus the original game is just a dip switch setting away.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from LynnInDenver:

My understanding:
    Using the original segmented displays, you only really need to tether a PC to it for development purposes (developing directly on the underpowered Pi would be painful), and it will run the result 100% on the Pi after you copy the finished setup to it. In order to run anything with the MPF Media Controller (DMD or Video), then it needs to be run on an "external" PC, as the Pi doesn't have enough horsepower to run the Media Controller alongside MPF. My understanding of the latter is that something like a NUC should be powerful enough to do that.
    I've got a board on the way to me, and I'll probably go the "segmented display" route and use it to enhance the existing Solar Ride within the limits of the hardware. I'm expecting that I'll be able to duplicate some of the functionality of a Pascal or Ni-Wumpff with few problems, and it will be a good way to experiment with the platform for future pinball experiments, plus the original game is just a dip switch setting away.

Okay... I think I get what you're saying. And yes I think having it tethered to a pc during the initial coding process is smart. And I don't have an issue with that. It's just after you've finished, I just want to make sure that it can operate on its own.

#61 5 years ago

Yeah just use your notebook or PC during development. You can then later run it on the RPi. Just make sure you get LISY with the RPI3 instead of the Zero because the 3 is a bit faster. Intel NuC or the up board are other small PCs which would work with MPF-MC. Technically MPF-MC works on the PI but it will require a lot of tuning at the end.

Jan

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

Yeah just use your notebook or PC during development. You can then later run it on the RPi. Just make sure you get LISY with the RPI3 instead of the Zero because the 3 is a bit faster. Intel NuC or the up board are other small PCs which would work with MPF-MC. Technically MPF-MC works on the PI but it will require a lot of tuning at the end.
    Jan

Time for another stupid question. Is this compatible with the new pi 3b. I don't own a pi 3b yet. Buying one soon as they finally updated the code for retropi. I actually currently own two pi 3s. But, I'm going to stop buying the normal ones and go with 3b's cos they're a bit better. Just an itty bitty bit.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Time for another stupid question. Is this compatible with the new pi 3b. I don't own a pi 3b yet. Buying one soon as they finally updated the code for retropi. I actually currently own two pi 3s. But, I'm going to stop buying the normal ones and go with 3b's cos they're a bit better. Just an itty bitty bit.

I think so. MPF will work for sure. Since the pinout is the same I guess that LISY will also work.

#64 5 years ago

I thought I was done with my stupid questions... But, stupidity knows no bounds... At least for me. Anyway, I am thinking about altering the code for a Raven pinball. Which is a gottlieb system 80b. Is that supported. I'm hoping it is. Cos I got big plans for my Raven.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I thought I was done with my stupid questions... But, stupidity knows no bounds... At least for me. Anyway, I am thinking about altering the code for a Raven pinball. Which is a gottlieb system 80b. Is that supported. I'm hoping it is. Cos I got big plans for my Raven.

According to lisy80.com it is

1 week later
    #66 5 years ago

Got my LISY1 in, built it, and installed it in Solar Ride. Got a couple of minor issues, one with a switch (rollunder won't register, will need to make sure my switch connector isn't failing), one with the sound (seems to be running a MUCH longer pulse running the ROM, so it sounds pretty different), but neither one is serious compared to what I was expecting to revisit with the battery damaged MPU that was in there.

Hopefully this next week I can get a computer set up nearby to start fiddling with MPF on it.

3 months later
    #67 5 years ago

Short update: I just uploaded a new version ( v 4.09 ) of LISY image to www.lisy80.com
    With latest mpf version (0.50.21) this solves a bug around switch detection when using LISY with mpf in Master Mode

2 weeks later
    #68 5 years ago

Did any of these boards ever end up getting over to the US? Or is the best way still to order straight from Germany? Just picked up a Genie and I sense a lisy in its future

#69 5 years ago

Ordering from him is still the best way to get one, since it's really more of a diy programming kit than a drop in replacement, although it'll run the original ROM file in a pinch. I've been fiddling around with mine; in fact, I'm the one who alerted him to the switch detection bug in the MPF side.

Note that replicating Genie's ruleset might be a lot easier than Solar Ride's; The shot advance routines for the bonus multiplier had me running around in circles making sure everything would advance only when called for, and all uniformly.

#70 5 years ago

Ordering from him is still the best way to get one, since it's really more of a diy programming kit than a drop in replacement, although it'll run the original ROM file in a pinch. I've been fiddling around with mine; in fact, I'm the one who alerted him to the switch detection bug in the MPF side.
    Note that replicating Genie's ruleset might be a lot easier than Solar Ride's; The shot advance routines for the bonus multiplier had me running around in circles making sure everything would advance only when called for, and all uniformly.

I'll probably just make some custom rules not a fan of genie's. I was just hoping to avoid international shipping.

#71 5 years ago

I JUST found this! Been needing a few sys1 cpu boards. I have a question though. One of my sys1's has a bad small transformer, so I'm about to lose the 69v etc. What voltages are required to power the cpu/pi board? There is a theory I may have to test of using a new cpu board and led displays with no small transformer.

So the roms for gottlieb's is difficult. I have the games, is there a reader so I can get to pull the rom into a rom file. Or do the visual pinball files have the roms in them?

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I JUST found this! Been needing a few sys1 cpu boards. I have a question though. One of my sys1's has a bad small transformer, so I'm about to lose the 69v etc. What voltages are required to power the cpu/pi board? There is a theory I may have to test of using a new cpu board and led displays with no small transformer.
    So the roms for gottlieb's is difficult. I have the games, is there a reader so I can get to pull the rom into a rom file. Or do the visual pinball files have the roms in them?

I believe the board only needs 5V. The bigger issue you're going to run into is loss of the displays, since the 69v is the main drive voltage for those. It might be time for you to get a set of the Boston displays, as those don't need the 69v.

Archive.org should have the ROMs in one of their MAME archives.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'll probably just make some custom rules not a fan of genie's. I was just hoping to avoid international shipping.

International shipping wasn't bad. I received my example pretty quickly.

#74 5 years ago

I believe the board only needs 5V. The bigger issue you're going to run into is loss of the displays, since the 69v is the main drive voltage for those. It might be time for you to get a set of the Boston displays, as those don't need the 69v.

Nice! Ya that is the plan. Led displays and a new cpu board. I think @forceflow had a theory write up, and I’ll be trying that! Not sure if anyone has tried it successfully yet.

Archive.org, didn’t even think of that. I’ll check! Thank you.

Pretty excited to get a handful of sys1’s working again

#75 5 years ago

Not finding the roms :/

lisy1 is on its way!

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Not finding the roms :/
    lisy1 is on its way!

check your PM.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-and-system-80-support-in-the-mission-pinball-framewo/page/2?hl=lovelycoconuts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.