Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CactusJack
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180126_170806325 (resized).jpg
    LISYcontrol_Switches (resized).jpg
    LISYcontrol_Lamps (resized).jpg
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Hi,

today, we are proud to announce support for the LISY platform in the Mission Pinball Framework (MPF).
    The Linux Interface for Gottlieb SYstem (LISY) completely replaces the MPU in a Gottlieb system 1 or 80 machine for less than 100 bucks.
    It allows you to play your original ROM using PinMAME and to run custom code using MPF by just changing a DIP switch.
    No further modifications to your hardware are needed.

Starting with firmware version 4.02, LISY can act as a hardware interface to Gottlieb machines in MPF (current dev version; future 0.50 release).
    Your custom game can either run on a separate PC and connect using USB or serial (very useful during development) or it can run directly on the LISY MPU itself (no extra hardware needed).
    All Gottlieb system 1/80 peripherals are supported: 7-segment displays/20-segment alpha numeric displays, switches on the switch matrix, lights, coils, coils on lamp drivers (such as flipper enable and tilt relay) and sound with the original sounds.
    Furthermore, you can run the MPF media manager on a separate PC to play custom sounds or add a LCD or DMD.

Thanks to bontango for all the excellent work on the LISY firmware. You can get the hardware and hardware documentation at www.lisy80.com. The MPF documentation about LISY and Gottlieb System 1/80 can be found at http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/hardware/lisy/index.html.

Jan

#2 6 years ago

Looks good. Are there any distributors of this board in the USA?

#3 6 years ago

I'm already thinking of ways to improve my Cleopatra, which I believe is the only system1 that plays exactly the same as it's EM version (of those that have an em version). I'm thinking of a way to collect bonus and reset the dt bank for starters.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Shipping from Germany to the US is not expensive (2kg for $16). bontango can probably tell more about it. He is doing this as a non-profit. The hardware is about 60€ which is currently about $60. In total this would be still below $100.

#5 6 years ago

Cleopatra with a dot matrix display would be so cool!

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Cleopatra with a dot matrix display would be so cool!

hmm, don't know that I'd go that far with it, but definitely make more use of the limited alpha-numerics it has. I would also want to leave the machine at basically stock so could revert back to original easily, which unfortunately rules out Cleo multi-ball.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Should probably just order 5-10 at once

I'd been wondering about the feasability of using direct pinmame for early williams boards looks like it wasn't that bad for gottlieb

#8 6 years ago

This is awesome.

#9 6 years ago

Bookmarked. Potentially another option for MPU replacement if corrosion eats the one in our Solar Ride; we actually do have a Pi Zero lying around here somewhere.

#10 6 years ago

Maybe somebody could develop something like this for the Bally home model pinball machines?

#11 6 years ago

Looking at the system 80 version and I see a familiar 3 chip configuration I am assuming of course its not using RIOT's? +1 for that! My only "concern" is what do we do without our standard 7404 switch matrix fuses that protect the special magic chips. Of course you can't design to account for playfield shorts and anomalies like that. I just bought a bulk lot of RIOTs too and now we have a new board design. I am glad we have multiple options for MPU boards now!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from 20eyes:

Looking at the system 80 version and I see a familiar 3 chip configuration I am assuming of course its not using RIOT's? +1 for that! My only "concern" is what do we do without our standard 7404 switch matrix fuses that protect the special magic chips. Of course you can't design to account for playfield shorts and anomalies like that. I just bought a bulk lot of RIOTs too and now we have a new board design. I am glad we have multiple options for MPU boards now!

Each of the magic chips seems to be a plain PIC18 CPU. I haven't actually been able to find the source code anywhere on the mostly german site, but it did say it was available, so just flashing a new one shouldn't be very hard. The PICs are only like $3 on their own. Technology has gotten to the point where an entire CPU is barely more expensive than some single ICs, and it makes stuff interesting...

#13 6 years ago

Hello together, happy to see so much feedback on LISY, will try to answer all your questions...
    At first the important part: as jabdoa said this is a non-profit project. The basic idea was born around ten years ago http://www.flipperkeller.de/projekte/LiSy80.html Sorry, German only on that old page but the pictures are worth a look.
    The main goal is to attract more people to these old Gottlieb pinball machines by providing an affordable way to replace the old, usually ‘battery damaged’, Gottlieb MPUs. As I side effect LISY also provide an easy way to do diagnosing your Gottlieb pinball machine with the integrated ‘LISYcontrol’ which can accessed by a standard web browser (see images attached).
    And, last but not least, with the latest version you can create your own gameplay by using MPF.

- The emulation software is based on pinmame and it is part of piname source on sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinmame/ ) since revision r4296. (Unix tree only)
    - LISYcontrol is part of the image which you can download for free (source including)
    - For the 3 PICs ( PIC18F45K22 ) I can provide the binary if there is interest
    - I do sell the pcb at cost price

At the moment I decided not to publish the PIC source code nor the pcb design. Main reason is that I do want to prevent that someone else ‘jumps on the train’ and doing profit with it and because I do want have some overview who is using LISY.

@KenLayton: I did shipping only to Europe in the past but lets see how best to bring LISY to US, I’m open for suggestions! And as you mentioned Bally: At the moment I’m working on a Bally Version ‘LISY35’ which will replace old Bally MPUs ( AS2518-35). More or less the same design as LISY1 & LISY80, a Raspberry PI in ‘the middle’ and 3 PICs around. Hope it will not take another ten years to finish it

@20eyes, @zacaj: Yes, no old RIOT design, I’m using the three PICs as port extender and for the ‘real time’ parts like displays refresh and switch scanning, where with Linux there is guarantee that it is always ‘on time’, resulting in display flicker and missing switches.

Ralf

LISYcontrol_Lamps (resized).jpgLISYcontrol_Lamps (resized).jpg

LISYcontrol_Switches (resized).jpgLISYcontrol_Switches (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

How about adding some sort of 16x2 LCD display to the board? It could be used for a test menu or diagnostics mode.

Something like this one perhaps:

http://www.jameco.com/z/NHD-0216K1Z-NSW-BBW-L-Newhaven-Display-International-16x2-Character-LCD-Display-White-on-Blue-Backlight-5V_2118598.html

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

I'm already thinking of ways to improve my Cleopatra, which I believe is the only system1 that plays exactly the same as it's EM version (of those that have an em version). I'm thinking of a way to collect bonus and reset the dt bank for starters.

Pretty sure my Super Orbit plays the same as its Orbit sister.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

How about adding some sort of 16x2 LCD display to the board? It could be used for a test menu or diagnostics mode.

You can have that with MPF. You could use a Raspberry Pi or some small embedded system such as an Intel NuC which would easily fit into the backbox.

#17 6 years ago

The LCD display would require another 6 I/O lines from the PI, which I do not have available, and: the 'in-build' Webserver LISYcontrol does provide this already, only I wireless LAN (or with a small adapter an ethernet connection) and a webbrowser ( e.g. on a pad) is needed. Once you have tried LISYcontrol, you will love it

#18 6 years ago

My friend Welby Bergum would be interested in buying several LISY80 boards shipped here to Olympia, Washington. He would have me assemble the boards.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

My friend Welby Bergum would be interested in buying several LISY80 boards shipped here to Olympia, Washington. He would have me assemble the boards.

I'd like to grab one unassembled too...

#20 6 years ago

Are any English manuals available yet? The board assembly manual and the user manual would be the first ones needing to be in English.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Are any English manuals available yet? The board assembly manual and the user manual would be the first ones needing to be in English.

There's an English manual but it doesn't seem to include the assembly. If a diagram, bom, or schematic was available I don't really think you'd need much assembly instructions though...

#22 6 years ago

I am assuming the raspberry pi computer is included in the kit, but if you want sound that you have to purchase the "JustBoom" sound board seperately?

#23 6 years ago

I am very interested in this project and love the idea that I will be able to program my own rules using MPF I've got a Joker Poker that needs an MPU and LISY will be perfect for the job as I want to tweak the rules but will also be able top easily switch to the original game PROM.

bontango how long does it take for the RPi to boot up?

#24 6 years ago

On the shipping question I'm open for suggestions. Usually I only ship the pcb and three programed PICs ( the 'Base Set'). However if you are able to flash the Microchip PIC18 chips, I can provide you with the binaries, so it will be the pcb only.
    On the manual side, yes i wrote a 'user manual' in english and can make the translation of the two assembly guides, no problem. If you take a look at the german version ( 'Aufbau der Platine' ) there is a bom included. Maybe 'someone' need to check if the parts are available in US ..

The two links to the shopping cards to the german distributor 'Reichelt' on lisy80.com do include all needed parts EXCEPT the 'Base Set, the Sound Option and the RPI.

On the sound question: Without the in the manual described 'Sound option' LISY uses the original sound board. With the Sound Option ( Justboom sound or similar PHAT soundcard ) it is possible to play soundfiles (wav) from the SD card. However Soundoption is in 'Beta state' at the moment, so for exampel background sound is not working at the moment.

#25 6 years ago

@woz: For getting an impression on boot time, take a look here:

which shows my Charlies Angels with a LISY1 board.
    After switching ON the pinball machine the displays showing the LISY1 boot message, as this is done by the display PIC it comes up right away.
    In the background the RPI is booting up Linux and LISY/PinMame.
    After round about 25 seconds PinMame is coming up and tries to load the rom-set, this took another 10-15 seconds.
    So overall boot time wit a PI-Zero is around 40 seconds. If you use a PI3 you can reduce it to 20 seconds or so ...

#26 6 years ago

bontango Reichelt also ships to the US. However, mouser or digikey will probably also sell all those parts.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

However if you are able to flash the Microchip PIC18 chips, I can provide you with the binaries,

What exact pic is it? I've done work with pic32s but I'll have to check if I can do this one...

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What exact pic is it? I've done work with pic32s but I'll have to check if I can do this one...

It is a 18F45K22

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

On the shipping question I'm open for suggestions. Usually I only ship the pcb and three programed PICs ( the 'Base Set'). However if you are able to flash the Microchip PIC18 chips, I can provide you with the binaries, so it will be the pcb only.
    On the manual side, yes i wrote a 'user manual' in english and can make the translation of the two assembly guides, no problem. If you take a look at the german version ( 'Aufbau der Platine' ) there is a bom included. Maybe 'someone' need to check if the parts are available in US ..

Oh, I thought it was a complete set of parts and the board. I didn't know I'd have to be buying most of the parts from various parts suppliers. That brings the cost up to the same price as simply buying a Ni-Wumpf board "ready-to-go".

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Oh, I thought it was a complete set of parts and the board. I didn't know I'd have to be buying most of the parts from various parts suppliers. That brings the cost up to the same price as simply buying a Ni-Wumpf board "ready-to-go".

I don't think it gets anywhere near that price even with shipping, the components are cheap. He is selling the boards for approx 30 euro or about $35 usd, even adding $30 shipping (what I paid on my last FLIPPP order) you are only at $65. He estimates another 30 euro for parts (based on the 60 euro total) bring you to a total of approx $100 USD, which is half the price of a Ni-Wumpf. Yes you have to assemble, doesn't look that complicated.

And the second side of this is reprogramming using MPF which just can't be done with the Ni-Wumpf.

#31 6 years ago

Borgdog is right, the 'Base Set' is for 30 Euro, the components are round about 20 Euro and the RPI is about 10 Euro if you take the PI-Zero-WLAN, 5 Euro if you take the PI-Zero without WLAN.
    So in sum you will have appr. 55-60 Euro, plus shipping cost, for a complete set.
    Shipping costs can be minimized if we find a way to do most of the shipping from within US.
    For example I can send someone a bunch of pcb who will then do the shipping piece by piece.

#32 6 years ago

I wonder if someone like Tmezel of Mezel Mods would be interested in being a US distributor of sorts for this. He sells the blank boards for Open Pinball Project (OPP), another hobby pinball project.

#33 6 years ago

Found the board shopping cart of the Germany parts distributor:

https://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=20&AWKID=1333948

I could not locate the ST24C04BN6 at Jameco, Mouser, or Digi-Key (the top USA parts distributors).

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Found the board shopping cart of the Germany parts distributor:
    https://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=20&AWKID=1333948
    I could not locate the ST24C04BN6 at Jameco, Mouser, or Digi-Key (the top USA parts distributors).

I could be wrong but I would think that any PDIP 24C04 EEPROM would work in its place. Based on the data sheet of an ST M24C64BN6, the BN is 8 Pin Dip Package, 6 is Industrial grade (as opposed to Automotive Grade). X02 and X04 EEPROMs in Dip package are more than likely obsoleted by most Manufacturers at this point. So, aftermarket sellers only.

#35 6 years ago

Does the Raspberry Pi need a seperate power supply? Or does it get power from the Gottlieb power supply board?

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

I could be wrong but I would think that any PDIP 24C04 EEPROM would work in its place. Based on the data sheet of an ST M24C64BN6, the BN is 8 Pin Dip Package, 6 is Industrial grade (as opposed to Automotive Grade). X02 and X04 EEPROMs in Dip package are more than likely obsoleted by most Manufacturers at this point. So, aftermarket sellers only.

I checked on Digikey, "FT24C04A-UDR-B" ( Part-No: 1219-1046-ND ) should do the job.
    KenLayton do you have have found all the other components? Would be great if you could provide a 'US shopping card' which I can place on lisy80.com

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Does the Raspberry Pi need a seperate power supply? Or does it get power from the Gottlieb power supply board?

Nop, no separate power supply needed, it gets 5V from the Gottlieb power supply board.

#38 6 years ago

I only understand about half of what you guys are discussing (and I'm a EE, albeit in power). However, I am super excited to hear about this project and interested in purchasing a couple of each type (LISY1, LISY80, and hopefully the future Bally version). Beyond supporting my Hulk, hopefully someday a Spidey, and my Paragon, I've been pondering the idea of a custom theme Sys1 or 80 game for awhile now.

#39 6 years ago

This looks like a great project. I am would like to get LISY80 for my Black Hole.

bontango Are the schematic diagrams available?

#40 6 years ago

I've got the main list of parts converted from the German distributor part numbers to Digi-Key part numbers. The only thing I could not find there was the 74HCT4514 chip. I could not locate a DIP version, but they only had surface mount versions there.

Digi-Key numbers and quantities for building one LISY80 board:

(6) 1N4148FS-ND Diodes

(1) 296-9213-5-ND Chip, 74HC4050E

(1) 493-14397-ND Electrolytic Capacitor, Axial, 100 uf @ 16v

(1) A402AE-ND IC Socket, 16 pins

(1) A408-ND IC Socket, 24 pins

(3) AE10018-ND IC Socket, 40 pins

(1) A400-ND IC Socket, 8 pins

(5) S9001-ND DIP Shunt Jumper, .100 pitch

(1) CT2066ST-ND Dip Switch, 6 position

(1) CT2068-ND Dip Switch, 8 position

(1) WM4203-ND Molex .100 male header, 5 position

(2) 4605X-101-332LF-ND Resistor Array, SIP, 4 resistors inside, 3.3K ohms

(2) 4609X-101-332LF-ND Resistor Array, SIP, 8 resistors inside, 3.3K ohms

(1) S2011EC-40-ND Male header pins, 2X40, .100

(16) 493-3467-ND Film Capacitors, .1 uf @ 50v radial

(1) 1219-1046-ND Chip, ST24C04BN6 or FT24C04A-UDR-B Serial EEPROM

(1) SW400-ND Pushbutton Switch, Tactile

(4) 67-1068-ND LED, 3mm, 5v, Red color

(2) 67-1062-ND LED, 3mm, 5v, Green color

(1) 67-1080-ND LED, 3mm, 5v, Yellow color

(1) 568-1034-1-ND Chip, surface mount, PCA9515, PC bus microcontroller

(1) P17027-ND Micro SDHC card, 4gb

(2) 609-2274-ND Socket, 2x10, .100 pitch

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Enchanter:

This looks like a great project. I am would like to get LISY80 for my Black Hole.
    bontango Are the schematic diagrams available?

As mentioned in my first post:

At the moment I decided not to publish the PIC source code nor the pcb design. Main reason is that I do want to prevent that someone else ‘jumps on the train’ and doing profit with it and because I do want have some overview who is using LISY.

But I do sell the PCB at cost price with the 'Base Set', which means 30 Euro for the 'blank' pcb including the three programmed PICs (shipping in in Germany included.) Shipping to US would add another 16 Euros.
    Meaning for a Base Set with shipping to US included it would be around 50 Dollar at the moment.

Unfortunately I do not have a (cheap) solution to get these pcb to US, so I'm still open for suggestions!

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I could not find there was the 74HCT4514 chip. I could not locate a DIP version, but they only had surface mount versions there.

Yes, that could be a problem, it is also possible to use a 74(HCT)154, however I guess this one is outdated too.
    Not sure how long this chip is available in Germany so I will think about a solution here, maybe I can make a version with a surface mounted one, however most people (including me ) do not like to solder SMD.

#43 6 years ago

Digikey seems to have that one. Is it a drop in replacement? https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/texas-instruments/CD74HCT154E/296-33132-5-ND/38320

Edit: seems to be EOL and replaced by the smd version as well by TI.

74 series parts have been around for ages so I would expect them to continue to be available.

Edit: but at least for TI only as SMD.

Jan

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

Digikey seems to have that one. Is it a drop in replacement? https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/texas-instruments/CD74HCT154E/296-33132-5-ND/38320
    Edit: seems to be EOL and replaced by the smd version as well by TI.
    74 series parts have been around for ages so I would expect them to continue to be available.
    Edit: but at least for TI only as SMD.
    Jan

KenLayton jabdoa
    Did a bit of research, what I can do is to replace the 4-16 decoder with two 3-8 decoders in the next HW release of the PCB
    https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/texas-instruments/CD74HC237E/CD74HC237E-ND/1506851
    This type is available in US and Germany and two 3-8 decoders are even cheaper then one 4-16 ...
    Just a bit of 'rewiring' and a small change to the code of the 'Display PIC' needed

#45 6 years ago

Is it possible for you to get all of the parts needed from the German distributor and include them as a "complete kit" to ship to the USA customers?

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Is it possible for you to get all of the parts needed from the German distributor and include them as a "complete kit" to ship to the USA customers?

That migth be a solution, however I did that once in the past for some people here in Germany and the effort to split the parts into separate kits is quite high, meaning it's not fun to do it and also fault-prone.
    But if we talk about 5-10 boards or so without having me to do the split, I can do the order and just repack, yes.

btw: At the moment I'm preparing to get in contact with my board manufacturer, maybe the assembly can be made there.
    I'll let you know, but it will take some time to clarify that ...

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've got the main list of parts converted from the German distributor part numbers to Digi-Key part numbers. The only thing I could not find there was the 74HCT4514 chip. I could not locate a DIP version, but they only had surface mount versions there.

One could use the SOIC version with an adapter such as A720-ND from Digi-Key. The A720-ND is rather expensive, but there are much cheaper adapters on eBay.

3 months later
    #48 6 years ago

I was curious if there is any new info on this project? Very interested.
    -Mike

#49 6 years ago

Afaik, the current plan is to produce and assemble the boards in China. Unfortunately, there was a delivery problem with the first batch and DHL scrapped all boards. That was like a week ago. The manufacturer is redoing them currently. I don't know the exact plan/timescale but bontango probably knows more.

Jan

2 months later
    #50 6 years ago

I reached out to bontango about a system 1 version of this board. He offered the full kit (only thing needed was the Raspberry Pi) for 60 Euro shipped. This came out to $77.47 USD. It arrived in 7 days after payment.

IMG_20180126_170806325 (resized).jpgIMG_20180126_170806325 (resized).jpg

It took me about 1.5 hours to assemble. I acquired a Raspberry Pi Zero for $15.99 with free shipping bringing the total to $93.46
    Tonight I installed it, and it seems to be working fine! I have other issues that need to be worked out, but I'm happy to have a functioning game, and excited that this board works with Mission Pinball Framework. Looking forward to seeing what I can do with that.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-and-system-80-support-in-the-mission-pinball-framewo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.