(Topic ID: 273307)

Gottlieb sys80b - loves to eat fuses (Hollywood Heat)

By practicalsteve

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zarco
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2020-07-19-08-40-27 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hi all.

My Hollywood Heat is just tearing through fuses. Seems to really love fuses 10, 11, and 12- these all drive solenoids.

Things to know
Has a new rottendog driver board
Ground mods have been done
MPU to Driver interconnect has been repinned.

Thanks in advance.

#2 3 years ago

The schematics for this game are not available online, could you list which coils are in circuit with those fuses?

Do those coils happen to be wired to a few big transistors mounted under the playfield?

#3 3 years ago

Here are fuses.
-Mike

Screenshot_2020-07-19-08-40-27 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-07-19-08-40-27 (resized).png
#4 3 years ago

These pins eat bridge rectifiers. Also the big blue cap in the power supply
can go bad.
Steve

#5 3 years ago

Decided my first step today is to replace the fuse block, because I realized last night that F9 also has blown in the recent past, so all four on the same block. Figure it’s worth a shot.

#6 3 years ago

I would definitely check the bridge rectifier supplying the coil voltage, though.

While the fuse block *could* be faulty, it's highly unlikely that's the problem. To be sure, are you using slow-blow fuses of the appropriate ratings?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I would definitely check the bridge rectifier supplying the coil voltage, though.
While the fuse block *could* be faulty, it's highly unlikely that's the problem. To be sure, are you using slow-blow fuses of the appropriate ratings?

Yes, all correct slow blow fuses. Fuse block has been swapped and nothing blew after two games, so I’m monitoring the situation. Bridge rectifier is a good tip though.

#8 3 years ago

Changed the fuse block a few days ago and have had little time to play test. But at this point I have not blown any fuses and probably played the most problem free games in a row since I got it. So fingers crossed the fuse issue is gone!

I’ll update if it returns

3 weeks later
#9 3 years ago

May as well update this- have had no fuses blow since putting in a new fuse block.

#10 3 years ago

Nice!! Glad it was a simple solution. This info may also help others in the future, thanks for the update!

#11 3 years ago

Glad its fixed. What happens sometimes is there is corrosion either on the
holder clips or fuses and the little additional resistance can heat up the
fuses causing them to blow early. I'll usually inspect the fuse ends and use
some 200 grit sand paper to buff the inside of the clips on 'new to me' pins.

My 240Z had that issue. Driving at night, on a two lane winding road
in a storm is no fun without lights!
Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys80b-loves-to-eat-fuses-hollywood-heat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.