You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

309fd880cf083310ea15f4c42e1e106b5ff1aa12 (resized).jpeg
2018-02-08_07h28_26 (resized).png
2018-02-08_07h21_38 (resized).png
freepl10.png

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hello,

We have added free play function for most of SYS80B systems.

FREE DOWNLOAD is here :
http://www.flipprojets.fr/Proms80B_EN.php

Documentation is here :
http://www.flipprojets.fr/Freeplay_EN.php

Actually 32 models supported !

We are looking for contributors !
Some proms are missing in Us, French or German :
If you have such proms please contact us, we try to add free play on them.

If you enjoy our work, let us know !

Regards,

F&T Davroux

www.flipprojets.fr

#2 8 years ago

Great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can send English Excalibur images for you if you are interested! I also have Monte Carlo Rev2 images (708/2).

Best regards from Holland,

Marco

#3 8 years ago

Hi Marco,

Yes please send me the dumps !

We take everything about GOTTLIEB !

We (really) love GOTTLIEB.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from flip78:

Hi Marco,
Yes please send me the dumps !
We take everything about GOTTLIEB !
We (really) love GOTTLIEB.

Check your emailbox Again great work, respect!

Marco

#5 8 years ago

Cool !

Many Thank's !

Have a good day.

François

#6 8 years ago

Can't wait to try these. Thanks for making them available.

#7 8 years ago

Very nice!
Question: How can the English vs French vs other be distinguished on the download site?
If the "mouse over" popup has no suffix, like (FR), does this indicate English?
Thanks!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Very nice!
Question: How can the English vs French vs other be distinguished on the download site?
If the "mouse over" popup has no suffix, like (FR), does this indicate English?
Thanks!

Chris,

For example, 705 are English ROM's for Genesis, 705X are French and 705Y are German ROM's.
Does that make it more clear?

Marco

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Chris,
For example, 705 are English ROM's for Genesis, 705X are French and 705Y are German ROM's.
Does that make it more clear?
Marco

Yes, that makes it clear and was what I suspected. Just wanted to make sure before I burned a RoboWar ROM.
--

#10 8 years ago

Hi Guys !

For clarification, I have updated the website and added a tab selector.
Now, the first tab contain the "English" versions, the "X" tab contain the "French release" and the "Y" tab contain the "German version". Indeed, this letter designator was used by Gotllieb to identify the language release of PROMs.

A special thank to Marco that send us some missing PROMs: we have already started to study how to add the patch, and you can expect an update for this evening ( here in France !). We will add: Excalibur and Monte Carlo v2 (in English), Genesis, Gold Wings, Spring Break and Diamond Lady (in German). Unfortunately, the German release of Bad Girls cannot be patched, for the same reason than French release: not enough free place in memory.

Enjoy !

Thierry.

#11 8 years ago

Thank you very much for doing this! There's going to be a lot of happy Gottlieb System 80 series owners.

Does this project have the blessing of Gottlieb Development here in the USA?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from noflip95:

not enough free place in memory.

As far as I'm aware, system 80B can accept a 2764 EPROM. Shouldn't there be enough room for the ROM file on that EPROM?

Or is the memory restriction the result of something else?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

A system 80B can accept a 2764 EPROM. Shouldn't there be enough room for the ROM file on that EPROM?
Or is the memory restriction the result of something else?

It's a little bit more complex than that:
Basically, the SYS 80B system herits the SYS 80/80A architecture, and the address bus is only decoded on 14 bits (while 6502 has a 16 bits wide address bus).
The 2764 PROM1 is decoded at $2000-$3FFF (8 KB). The 2716 PROM2 is decoded at $1000-$17FF (2KB). So the maximum ROM space is initially limited to 10 KB (8 + 2).

On early SYS80B, only the 2764 was used, because the programs were quite simple, and display few messages.
Then, as programs evolves, it used more and more messages, and they needs to add the 2716 to store all the code.

But this was still not enough... on later SYS80B, they decided to use a 2732 in place of 2716, so extending the ROM area to 12 KB (8 + 4). But to achieve that, they connect an additional wire at A15 signal to the 2732. Thus, the first 2 KB of the 2732 is decoded at $1000-$17FF and the upper 2 KB at $9000-$97FF.
There is no way to easily add an extended memory, because of this (crazy) partial decoding on 14 bits (+ A15 but only for 2732).
So the maximum memory space is definitely limited to 12 KB and cannot be extended.

On latest SYS80B, the 12 KB space is fully used ! The "Bone Busters Inc." use all available memory (both 2764 + 2732 space) and there is no place where to store any additional code. On "Bad Girls", the English release has just enough free space to insert the patch. But, on French and German releases, as the messages are a little bit longer, they use more memory and let not enough free space for the patch !!! so the patch is only possible on English release.

Fortunately, we have always found enough free space in PROM1 for all SYS80B to install our FREEPLAY patch. Thus, you only need to program the 2764 and never the 2716/2732.
For "Bad Girls French/German" and "Bone Busters Inc.", we also study the possibility to store the patch somewhere in the 2732, but it's not possible (both 2764 and 2732 are fully filled).

Technically, the patch is possible and ready to install (it's very similar to others SYS80B), but there is no place to store it on those two models.

#14 8 years ago

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for posting an explanation!

#15 8 years ago

This is a fantastic development, I can't wait to try these on my 2 games (Arena & Excalibur).

Thanks to the developers for their hard work in doing this!

#16 8 years ago

New free play roms have been added !

Enjoy !

The collection of roms grows ... Some of them are always missing, please help us to finish it !

We hard working for your (and our) pleasure, so please report bugs (if any).

1 week later
#17 8 years ago

So...I burned a Robowar FP ROM. No joy.
Although the ROM is different from the production image at locations:
1FE0 through 1FF9 and 0C63 through 0C37

the game is not in free play.
I can add credits, but when the credits show zero...the credit button does not start a game.

Anyone else try Robowar?
flip78...has this ROM been game tested?

Thanks.
--

#18 8 years ago

Chris,

Did you turn all credit related dipswitches to "off" position?? (Dips 1-5, 9-13, 17-21)??

I tested the Genesis Freeplay ROM succesfully.

Marco

#19 8 years ago

Gack! Nope...didn't see that in the installation notes. If it's in the notes...I'm blind. I just checked again.

However, I did set the switches you note to off, and it does work. When zero is reached, 20 credits are added. Not bad. I'd prefer the software to leave the credits at zero and just start a game. But I'll take it as is, and thank the developers. Nice.
--

#20 8 years ago

Hi Chris,
You are... not
The configuration for the FREEPLAY mode is describe in the "freeplay function" page (http://www.flipprojets.fr/Freeplay_EN.php) and is linked to the freeplay logo:
freepl10.pngfreepl10.png
But may be, this was not enough clear. So, I have now, added a more explicit link to the page

About the credits reloaded: when REPLAY is pressed, if credits are 0, they are reloaded at the max_credit value (that can be 8, 10, 15 or 20 depending on the DIP 15/16 settings).
Starting a game and leaving the credit counter to 00 is not possible, because of the program algorithm. But, we can replace the max_credit value by the constant "01", so that when REPLAY is pressed, a new player is added and the counter will display "00".
You can notice that, currently, when the max_credits is set to "20", when you press REPLAY, a new player is added and the counter display only "19", because 1 credit is decreased for this player.
It's easy to change (for us ), only 4 bytes to modify.

But...
There is always one case where the credits counter will show "01" (or "20"): when you try to add another player and you already have 4 players in game. The credit counter is reloaded, but as no more player can be added, the counter is not decreased and will remain to "01".
If the "20" value is very boring for you, contact us by PM and we will send you a special release with "01" instead.

1 week later
#21 8 years ago

Well i tried it out today on Big House 713. Awesome Sauce!! FREE PLAY DAYS!!

I modified the txt file for myself and for others to read but just replace Prom1 and set coinage switches off.

BUT i hate when note files are pretty blank.

Flipprojets 2015
------------------
Patches SYSTEM 80B
FREEPLAY
------------------
www.flipprojets.fr

Installation

Make sure you choose the correct version of PROM corresponding to your Pinball,
then unzip the archive downloaded. Only the PROM1 is changed and the extracted
file must be programmed in memory, EPROM 2764, or a 2864 EEPROM.
Replace this PROM1 memory on the Piggyback by this new version

How does it work ?

For switch to FREEPLAY mode, you should position the full set of the DIP switches
for coin's configuration to the OFF position
(1-4, 5-8, 9-12 on SYSTEM 80 or 1-5, 9-13, 17-21 on SYSTEM 80A and 80B).
This corresponds to a configuration that is usually never used (and that is easy to remember).

Since then, the credits will be automatically recharged when they fall to zero.
It is the only thing that changes.

To disable the FREEPLAY, simply set back the DIP switches to their original position.

Tested and verified working on Wednesday Oct 28, 2015 by CNKay.

Original Big House 713 Prom1 rom check sum 0E08.
The home version BH713 Prom1 rom check sum 03DB.

#22 8 years ago

A huge Thank You for providing these ROMs. Also thanks to Chris Hibbler for burning a ROM for my Chicago Cubs Triple Play (bummer that the Cubs didn't make it to the World Series). The ROM works great.

One thing that should be pointed out is that these ROMs -- add a free play setting to the ROM --. That is, they can still be set for coin operation. My understanding is that most free play ROMs just disable the credit checking and thus would have to be swapped back to the original ROMs to if you wanted to enable coin operation again.

2 months later
#23 8 years ago

This is cool. Is there anyone I can buy one of these ROMs from already burned? My Raven has a credit add button, but this would be much nicer.

1 week later
#24 8 years ago

Thank you for making these!!! Running perfectly in my Night Moves and TX-Sector.

#25 8 years ago

I have it in my Amazon Hunt II works great. I do have a ? I have to push the start button twice when showing zero credits to reload it. Is this the same on the others? Thanks Mike

4 weeks later
#26 8 years ago

Just an update: I have added this to Raven and it is great! I had the machine out for a local pinball event and the machine performed perfectly. Normally, people can't locate the credit add button and I have to babysit the machine.

As always, a huge shout out to the community here for all the help. The people that hold the rights to this software and sell the chips should make this an option.

2 weeks later
#27 8 years ago

New proms have been added ...

Please help us (and you !!!) with missing proms :

- Amazing Hunt : US, DE
- Rock : FR, DE
- Raven : FR, DE
- Hollywood Heat : DE
- Rock Encore : FR, DE
- Monte Calo : DE
- Arena : DE
- Victory : DE
- Big House : DE
- Robo War : DE
- Excalibur : DE
- Hot Shots : DE
- Bone Busters : DE

Don't hesitate to contact us, if you have some !

4 months later
#28 7 years ago

Just used this for Hollywood Heat. I also missed the dip switch settings at first but it's working now. Thanks!

#29 7 years ago

Moving this to Rulesheets and Code.

#30 7 years ago

New free play roms have been added ...

-> http://www.flipprojets.fr/Proms80B_EN.php

Please help us (and you !!!) with missing proms :
- Rock / Rock Encore : FR
- Raven : FR

Don't hesitate to contact us, if you have some ! (For Files or Original PROMS ...)

1 week later
#31 7 years ago

Another Update: Put this in Genesis and it also worked great. Now I just need an update to fill the hole in the coin door from the credit button that a previous owner installed.

Thanks for the great work!

1 month later
#32 7 years ago

Just picked up a Robo Wor. A little confused. Do I get someone to burn me a a new chip and swap it out on my robo or to get free play?

#33 7 years ago

Yes, or if you have an eraser, burner, and EPROM, you can do it yourself. Note that someone distributing official ROMs might not be able to burn these unofficial custom ROMs for you.

#34 7 years ago

Calling John Wart

If anyone can burn and sell me one Id take one.

5 months later
#35 7 years ago

This is great! Thanks for making it available. I'm excited to help my pal get his Arena running on free play. I just have one uncertainty. How do I know which version of the Arena prom to download and burn?

The FlipProjets download page (http://www.flipprojets.fr/Proms80B_EN.php) has a choice for "709 - Arena" and "709/1 - Arena." It's probably just because I am not a pin guy (yet anyway) that I don't understand the difference.

Can someone explain the difference to a newb? Thanks!

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from xefned:

This is great! Thanks for making it available. I'm excited to help my pal get his #Arena running on free play. I just have one uncertainty. How do I know which version of the Arena prom to download and burn?
The FlipProjets download page (http://www.flipprojets.fr/Proms80B_EN.php) has a choice for "709 - Arena" and "709/1 - Arena." It's probably just because I am not a pin guy (yet anyway) that I don't understand the difference.
Can someone explain the difference to a newb? Thanks!

Gottlieb used the "/.." to refer to updates. 709 is the first release, 709/1 means 709 update 1, 709/2 means 709 update 2 and so on.
I would use 709/1 in this case. When using these freeplay rom's don't forget to set all coin related dipswitches to "off" position (Dips 1-5, 9-13, 17-21).

By the way: If you encounter a software release not already patched by the magnificent Davroux brothers please make images and upload it to them so they can patch it to a freeplay version and publish it.

Marco

3 months later
#37 6 years ago

Hello, just a little information ...

All of our set of roms have been sent to vpinmame dev team !

Enjoy playing with more versions !

Only a few are missing :

Please contact us, if you have some !

We are not sure if some of them have existed, information about them will be appreciated.

François

Flipprojets

3 months later
#38 6 years ago

Just to think for some roms ...

We are looking for :

Thank's

4 months later
#39 6 years ago

Arena version /1 of the free play sys80 ROMs does not work. Gives a ROM checksum error and the game will continually reboot (assuming you have the reset board connected).

Does anybody have a working version /1 of the arena software?

Thanks
[email protected]

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Arena version /1 of the free play sys80 ROMs does not work. Gives a ROM checksum error and the game will continually reboot (assuming you have the reset board connected).
Does anybody have a working version /1 of the arena software?
Thanks
[email protected]

IT WORK !

Tested again this morning : got the archive from our site (to be sure the source is the same). Loaded into Vpinmame : result, checksum is fine and the game is working. The test mode say MEMORY OK and then return the checksum :
2018-02-08_07h21_38 (resized).png2018-02-08_07h21_38 (resized).png

Be sure your files are not corrupted, and program both EPROMs 2764 + 2716. If your programmer has a CRC feature, you can check/verify the content programmed. Should be :
2018-02-08_07h28_26 (resized).png2018-02-08_07h28_26 (resized).png

#41 6 years ago

I'm sorry but you're wrong on this. Arena 709/1 does NOT work. I'm not running it in some piece of crap emulation package. I'm actually using a GAME for testing. And your 709/1 does not work. I just re-downloaded, and burned both ROMs. They do NOT work.

Interestingly, the 709 Arena roms *do* work. But not the 709/1 version (which is the version i'm looking for, as there's a bug in the original 709 software.)

#42 6 years ago

Do me a favor... email me your original 709/1 software (not modified) and let me check it. Maybe you're using a bad/non working version for your modifications?
[email protected]

#43 6 years ago

Figured it out thank you! The problem was in the 2716 file

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

some piece of crap emulation package

Too bad and not necessary.

It would be nice to read some more details why this went wrong for other people.

I compared the files with what I am having in my library.

In there are files which are marked rev 0; these are images from a board repair I did a few years ago (when the labels just read 709 I name the images rev 0 as a reference for myself). They match the rev 1 files list at the flipprojets site.

Other files in my library which are unmarked match the "rev0" files at the flipprojets website.

Is it possible the rev 1 <=> rev 0 at the flipprojets website?

Marco

#45 6 years ago

I believe that was the case. it may have been my fault, i'm not entirely sure. either way i got it working. The tell is when you turn the game on, hit the diagnostic button quickly. Even though the program can crash, you can get it into diagnostics. then go to memory test, and it will tell you if there's a PROM problem.

#46 6 years ago

Also with Arena you want to be running the 709/1 version. The initial release has a multi-ball bug. The 709/1 version fixes that. So probably shouldn't even have the initial release version 709 on the web site.

1 month later
#47 5 years ago

Do I use 2764 eproms to burn the freeplay for gold wings and raven? Going to order from marco just making sure I have right ones first.

#48 5 years ago

Both Gold Wings and Raven use a couple of 2764 + 2716 EPROM.
For the FREEPLAY, only the code in the 2764 is modified, so you only need to change the 2764 (and not the 2716).

But... be sure the 2764 is programmed with an appaired version of the 2716.

If you don't reprogram the 2716, you SHOULD program a 2764 that match the same release.
Ie : if you have a "french" release of Gold Wing, you should use the 707X release for the 2764. Using a 707 (US) 2764 with a 707X (FR) 2716 will not work.

Not only the language is important (cannot mix US/FR/DE), but also the level.
For Gold Wing, it's simple because there is only one version.
For Raven, take the right one, because there is two versions.

About the chip itself : any 2764, or 27C64, or even EEPROM 2864 (AT2864, X2864, ...) will work. It don't care about the 2716 model. You can use 27C64 in combination with a 2716, or a 2864 with a 27C16, it don't care.

#49 5 years ago

Perfect. Txs a lot for the detailed explanation

3 weeks later
#50 5 years ago

We are still looking for some EPROMs (dumps) :

if you have them, please contact us, and we'll add freeplay for free.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models
Other
$ 50.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys80b-free-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.