Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm working on a Gottlieb Black Hole and I'm noticing a problem when the pop bumper coils fire. It seems that the pop bumper ring stays down for what seems like too long but it doesn't always do it. Instead of firing and returning, it seems like they have a brief second of holding in place. All of the pop bumpers seem to exhibit this behaviour to some degree.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause such an issue?

#2 4 years ago

I had this on mine. Either the coil stops were magnetized or they were worn in. I fixed it by sticking a little flap of thin cardboard from a lamp box on each coil stop.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I had this on mine. Either the coil stops were magnetized or they were worn in. I fixed it by sticking a little flap of thin cardboard from a lamp box on each coil stop.

Thanks. I'll check that out when I get a chance.

#4 4 years ago

You'll want to do all of them as zacaj described, it made a huge difference on my game. Even the ones i thought were working ok were even better after i did them all. I even had this problem with brand new coil stops! Not sure what it is about Gottlieb system 80 games, but it's apparently a common issue for them.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

You'll want to do all of them as zacaj described, it made a huge difference on my game. Even the ones i thought were working ok were even better after i did them all. I even had this problem with brand new coil stops! Not sure what it is about Gottlieb system 80 games, but it's apparently a common issue for them.

I've never heard of this on anything besides black hole, but it seems to happen a lot on black hole...

Did you replace the plunger and coil stop?

#6 4 years ago

Had this problem. Replaced all pop bumper mechs with Pinball Resource replacement kits and now they work perfect. I think mine were magnetized.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Did you replace the plunger and coil stop?

Come to think of it, i may have only done coil stops and kept original plungers. Guess that might be why the new stops didn't fix it...

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How thick of cardboard did you use? Like 1/8" or thinner?

#9 4 years ago

I just when through this with my Black Hole. I fixed it by placing just a piece of electrical tape over the coil stops. It has worked flawlessly for about 30 games so far.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

How thick of cardboard did you use? Like 1/8" or thinner?

Probably less than a 1/16th

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys80-pop-bumpers-hold-on-briefly?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.