Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I need to pick up new pop bumper boards for my Alien Star. Looks like there are a few options out there. Just wondering which one is recommended. Looks like there's a Rottendog, one from pinballreplacementparts and also Gulf pinball and Swemmer. The pinballreplacementparts one looks the most advanced but I don't have any experience with them as a company.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

I have a bunch of used ones if you are not wanting to go with repro ones.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

I have a bunch of used ones if you are not wanting to go with repro ones.

Thanks. I'll keep that open as a potential option. Leaning towards new though just since they have extra protection built in and are reasonable in price.

#4 5 years ago

Homepin also makes a replacement Gottlieb pop bumper driver board.

The Rottendog board is the cheapest reproduction.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I need to pick up new pop bumper boards for my Alien Star. Looks like there are a few options out there. Just wondering which one is recommended. Looks like there's a Rottendog, one from pinballreplacementparts and also Gulf pinball and Swemmer. The pinballreplacementparts one looks the most advanced but I don't have any experience with them as a company.
Thanks!

I modded all my originals, never once had an issue. I also was a tester for Rottendogs, which are okay, have a test button, but if you mod your originals, your flipper buttond act as test buttons. Not too difficult, and it is wayyyy cheaper.

If you can't solder or are afraid, I would be happy to rebuild yours.

Ken

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I modded all my originals, never once had an issue. I also was a tester for Rottendogs, which are okay, have a test button, but if you mod your originals, your flipper buttond act as test buttons. Not too difficult, and it is wayyyy cheaper.
If you can't solder or are afraid, I would be happy to rebuild yours.
Ken

Thanks for the offer. I'm pretty good at board work but would have to order the components. I didn't know there was a mod until now. Are these the instructions you use?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Gottlieb-ModifiedPBDBPartsExplanation.jpg

#7 5 years ago

I have a set of swemmer boards that have been in use for about a year with zero issues.
-Mike

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks for the offer. I'm pretty good at board work but would have to order the components. I didn't know there was a mod until now. Are these the instructions you use?
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Gottlieb-ModifiedPBDBPartsExplanation.jpg

Yes, Those are the Steve Charland upgrades. I know Pascal Janin made PBB' too. Super small boards.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Is there any preferred board out of all these or should I just go with the cheapest (Rottendog)? If one has significant advantages I don't mind paying a little but more.

#11 5 years ago

I like having the leds on board with test (fire)button. Helps diagnosing if an issue were to come up.
-Mike

#12 5 years ago

The Pascal version has an additional LED which shows the presence of coil voltage which the other board makers do not have.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The Pascal version has an additional LED which shows the presence of coil voltage which the other board makers do not have.

Pascal’s are my FAVORITE. But you pay for shipping from France/Europe. Otherwise I just ordered rebuild kits from BDE (big daddy enterprises) and rebuilt the stock ones. Having a test button and voltage leds was super helpful when the game was broken...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys80-pop-bumper-boards-which-are-recommended and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.