Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by viperrwk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Fixing a Freddy Gottlieb Sys 3 which i know very little about. I have no GI for the backbox (pf is fine)

Have checked fuse F8 out of circuit, and it tests good.

The 'A' relay opens and closes, and there is continuity when it closes on the buzzer on the multimeter, but i cannot get any 6v AC reading on any of the light sockets in the backbox.

The 'T' relay (which i understand turns pf GI on and off) does not move, but pf GI is on permanently

There is a GI bulb on the coin chute and it works fine

Have reseated a few connectors going to the backbox with no sucess.

Any tips on where to keep looking, i'm starting to think there may be a wiring problem, but not sure where to start looking/testing as the pair of AC wires that runs backbox GI are not marked where i can see in the manual.

#2 10 years ago

The coin chute lights are fused on the same circuit as the playboard so if playfield GI is working the coin chute lights should as well.

I would test the relays in solenoid test. They are 20v relays and if you have working flashers in the game you would have power for the relays. If the "T" relay is locked on I would check Q31 on the driver board to see if it failed.

The GI circuit is very simple - transformer -> fuse -> relay -> lights -> ground. If you don't have power at the light sockets, check if you have power at the fuse. If you do, and the relay is pulling in, I'd check and clean the points on the relay - they can get dirty enough to cause a problem.

If the coil is bad, Steve Young sells replacements but I'm not sure he has replacement points.

viperrwk

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If you don't have power at the light sockets, check if you have power at the fuse.
viperrwk

Thanks for the info - i gave the points a good clean. One thing i am not certain of is how to test for power at the fuse - being AC, is there a common return wire for all the AC circuits, or does each have its own return wire - if so, does anyone know what colour it is?

#4 10 years ago

Black wires on the transformer panel are the AC common. There are multiple common wires that are all tied together.

viperrwk

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys3-no-gi-backbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.