New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 188330)

Gottlieb Sys1 slam switch & matrix issue

By ForceFlow

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1489 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Normally, I can take my time figuring out an issue, but I'm currently at a show trying to troubleshoot a Hulk.

I have a Pascal CPU board in the game (just the CPU, not the all-in-one).

Every time the game turns on or goes into test mode, I see a slam message, even though the slam switches on the coin door and ball tilt are closed.

If I jumper the slam and ground pins on the CPU to bypass the slam switch, then the entire first column of switches in the switch matrix shows up as being closed (coin chutes, tilt, etc) and a message appears that the test switch is disabled.

If I disconnect the slam switch wire from the connector and then jumper the slam and ground pins on the MPU, the game seems to operate normally, and the slam message does not appear. However, I would prefer not to leave it like this since it doesn't really solve the actual issue.

All the cabinet and playfield switch diodes test good. The coin door wiring appears to be intact, and I can't seem to find any shorts between the slam switch and anything else.

Any ideas?

#2 3 years ago

Did you reference this for slam switch issues?

http://tuukan.fliput.net/sys1_en.html#viat

#3 3 years ago

Hmm...I'm starting to think that the wires connected to the ball tilt switch are jumbled up. Does anyone have a reference photo handy?

#4 3 years ago

This what you need

IMG_1489 (resized).JPG

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

This what you need

Perfect, thanks

I'll have to double check the game in the morning to see if that is the issue, since I can't quite remember which wire was connected where. I'm really hoping for any easy fix.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Perfect, thanks
I'll have to double check the game in the morning to see if that is the issue, since I can't quite remember which wire was connected where. I'm really hoping for any easy fix.

I'll be there in the morning also, on my Count Down the diode checks good in the system but actually was bad and worked normal when I put a jumper wire on it. Any chance of wires being crossed during a repinning of the cpu connections.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashwood486:

Any chance of wires being crossed during a repinning of the cpu connections.

The switch connectors have not been repinned.

Quoted from Ashwood486:

on my Count Down the diode checks good in the system but actually was bad and worked normal when I put a jumper wire on it.

Yeah, I've seen diodes fail while under load as well. Unfortunately, I don't have an 1N270 germanium diodes with me. Just 1N4004 didoes.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The switch connectors have not been repinned.

Yeah, I've seen diodes fail while under load as well. Unfortunately, I don't have an 1N270 germanium diodes with me. Just 1N4004 didoes.

My friends have all that stuff new, they are set up indoor flea market coming from the free play area turn right and go maybe 30 ft. Look on the tables on the right. He's got new push on connectors , capacitor, diodes, etc. He's really sharp on Gottlieb.

#9 3 years ago

Well, the problem was that the wires were jumbled up on the ball tilt switch. Once arranged correctly, the issue was resolved.

Thanks again for the photo

#10 3 years ago

Glad you got it repaired!!

1 year later
#11 1 year ago

I'm having a problem with a Gottlieb Sinbad that when tilts goes into Diagnostics. Will the fix above correct the situation? Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 289.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
$ 89.00
Boards
Pappy's Pinball Palace
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 27.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 4.20
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Various Novelties
Allteksystems
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 12.95
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside