• Latest reply 8 years ago by jwo825
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_2152.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I picked up what appeared to be a nice Diamond Lady a couple days ago. The machine would not boot up. There was some previous battery leakage damage, as well as a very poorly hacked daughter-board hack, (the daughter-board is actually missing).

I installed a known working MPU/daughter-board. The machine booted up fine, displays/lamps all work. The only thing not working was the left drop target bank, which, I figured is probably caused by a bad transistor.

Anyways...

I had powered the machine off/on several times...everything seemed fine. I turned the machine off, and had wiped the playfield down, just doing some initial cleaning.

I go to power up the pin and it won't boot up. It's doing the exact same thing as it did when it had the original MPU installed. The backbox light is on, some of the PF GI is on, and a few of the inserts are cycling through the attract mode. No Display, no LED blinking on the sound board.

I figure whatever caused the original MPU board to not work has now done the same thing to my known good MPU board.

I'm not at all familiar w/ these Gottlieb pins.

Any ideas as to what to look for?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....This really looks like it will be a super fun pin to play, (I like drop targets).

#2 8 years ago

Do any of the chips on the MPU get really hot?

#3 8 years ago

Check that piggyback board...

Push on it slightly when game powered on, see if anything changes

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do any of the chips on the MPU get really hot?

I left the machine on for over 30 minutes...no hot chips.

Quoted from Schusler:

Check that piggyback board...
Push on it slightly when game powered on, see if anything changes

I tried that...I still get the same results.

#5 8 years ago

Power supply pushing a good +5?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Power supply pushing a good +5?

Where do I check that?

#7 8 years ago

There should be metal tabs with TP5v or something like that on either the MPU or the power supply.

#8 8 years ago

Power supply above mpu, you can unplug the connector that goes to mpu or check the power right on mpu, you might want to remove the power supply and reflow or at least check for cold solder joints on the pins, I have had a couple with the same problem which makes the problem come and go

#9 8 years ago

Have you looked on pinwiki system 80? Lots of good stuff with great pics. It talks a lot about power supplys

#10 8 years ago

Yup, I also agree. You need to have a solid power source and connections before any other diagnosis can occurs. I'd be inspecting the header pins on the A2 power supply first. They probably have solder cracks around the pins. This is a common issue with System 80.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#11 8 years ago

Update,

I'm not sure if this is the cause of my problems, but I just noticed that 2 terminal to my Aux power supply are broken.

Does anyone know of a source to get the Gottlieb style card connectors?

I need the 12 pin version.

#12 8 years ago

Latest update...

I'm getting consistent 5 volt readings on all of the pins on the power supply board.

I found a few connectors w/ a few broken terminals.

I've replaced all of the terminals in those particular connectors...still no luck in getting the machine to put up.

Sometimes when I power up the pin, the LED on the sound board doesn't light at all. Sometimes it will continuously blink, (normal), then sometimes it comes on, and stays on, no blinking.

By the way, even when I had the machine up and running yesterday, there was NO sound....not sure if that has anything to do with my problems.

I'm going to replace all of the Molex connectors/terminals tomorrow.

I have a hunch I've blown something up on the MPU board.

#13 8 years ago

If the power supply is solid and you have all correct voltages at the sound board, I'd start by looking at the 7404 on the driver board for the sound triggers. If one of sound lines 1, 2, 4 or 8 isn't high at before starting a game, you'll never hear sounds from the A6 sound board.

Steve

#14 8 years ago

Do you have pictures of the daughter board hack. This is my main suspicion.

#15 8 years ago

Dont forget to do the ground mods if you have not yet. I have resurrected two 80b's by doing this, they have poor grounding on the two small boards off the power brick in the bottom, I think Todd Tuckey did a video on this once, my most recent is a Robo War , had all kinds of wonky behavior in attract, I dialed in the 5v, fixed one connector and nothing, ground mods and voila!

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Do you have pictures of the daughter board hack. This is my main suspicion.

He switched out the mpu for a working one. Remove the power supply and check the backside of it. Not sure if you tried re seating the connectors maybe bad edge connectors?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Dont forget to do the ground mods if you have not yet. I have resurrected two 80b's by doing this, they have poor grounding on the two small boards off the power brick in the bottom, I think Todd Tuckey did a video on this once, my most recent is a Robo War , had all kinds of wonky behavior in attract, I dialed in the 5v, fixed one connector and nothing, ground mods and voila!

Sorry, I misread the OP. I agree with this, that bad grounds are a likely suspect now. After that I would check the board interconnect harnesses.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

He switched out the mpu for a working one. Remove the power supply and check the backside of it. Not sure if you tried re seating the connectors maybe bad edge connectors?

My bad, I missed that part. I thought he put the original MPU back in. I see now that it's not booting with the new MPU now.

#19 8 years ago

I noticed that someone had attached ground wires to the driver board, MPU, and power supply board...attaching them to the upper left corner of the back box ground plane. They've also attached a wire from the ground plane to the ground braid on the back leg, (see picture).

They did NOT do the ground mod on the white wires that are attached to the transformer chassis. I'll be doing that this morning.

With the the ground mod on the transformer chassis, will I still need the ground wires that are attached to the individual boards/ground braid?

I also plan on installing an additional "pinch terminal" on the big black connector that goes from the MPU to the driver board that Gottlieb suggests doing in the long lost service bulletin.

Thanks again for the help guys...I'm determined to get this up and running again, (I hope).

It looks like it will be a fun game to play.

DSC_2152.jpgDSC_2152.jpg

#20 8 years ago

Update...

Ground mod complete...still getting the same results.

I think this is just going to be one of those pins that you just throw your hands in the air...and walk away.

Maybe I'll better luck at some other time.

I'm still thinking, for some reason, I've blown a chip on the MPU.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

If the power supply is solid and you have all correct voltages at the sound board, I'd start by looking at the 7404 on the driver board for the sound triggers. If one of sound lines 1, 2, 4 or 8 isn't high at before starting a game, you'll never hear sounds from the A6 sound board.

I'll try to work on the sound...one of these days. I need to get the pin to boot up again first.

Quoted from blownfuse:System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Boy...you said it, right there.

#22 8 years ago

I haven't walked away from it yet...

update...

I re-installed the MPU board that came with the machine. I removed/repaired the hack that was in the 24 pin socket where the daughter board mounts to the MPU board. Repaired the shoddy work in the 40 pin MPU socket that connects to the power supply board. Though the board shows battery leakage damage...it works.

Apparently, I blew something on the "good" MPU board I had installed.

Even though the pin is working for now, something tells me it's just a matter of time before the same component(s) blow on this board.

Anyone have any idea as to what I might have blown up on the "good" MPU I had installed?

#23 8 years ago

I'm of the opinion that your game might still have connector issues and unplugging the connectors and plugging them back on made a connection again. If so, this fix will be temporary until the connection issue is found and repaired/replaced. Keep in mind that the start of most System 80 issues can be traced back to connectors. Resistance is never your friend. After that, for 80B, the added board in U2/3 is problematic with solder crack issues.

Steve

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I'm of the opinion that your game might still have connector issues and unplugging the connectors and plugging them back on made a connection again. If so, this fix will be temporary until the connection issue is found and repaired/replaced. Keep in mind that the start of most System 80 issues can be traced back to connectors. Resistance is never your friend. After that, for 80B, the added board in U2/3 is problematic with solder crack issues.
Steve

Thanks Steve,

So far, I've replaced almost all of the edge type connector terminals. I've also replaced all of the header pin terminals with trifurcons. As for the U2 and U3 sockets, I've installed new 24 pin sockets in both of those.

I have a hunch, what I thought was a good MPU board turned out to be not so good....LOL

All sounds/coils/lamps working now. I just have a couple switches that aren't registering.

Thanks everyone for the help....

I'm still wondering if the circuit boards need to have that additional ground wire attached, running to the back box ground plane, now that I've done the ground mod???

#25 8 years ago

Congrats on getting it all fixed up. These 80b games can be a pain but most are fun little games with great relay value. Be sure to share pics when you have her all shined up and playing great.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Congrats on getting it all fixed up. These 80b games can be a pain but most are fun little games with great relay value. Be sure to share pics when you have her all shined up and playing great.

will do....

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I echo these sentiments... I'm a BIG Gottlieb fan of the 80 series. To this day, Diamond Lady is one machine I still haven't played.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I echo these sentiments... I'm a BIG Gottlieb fan of the 80 series. To this day, Diamond Lady is one machine I still haven't played.

I'd love to have Robo War. I could just let it sit there with a ball in the shooter lane and enjoy the music!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys-80b-help-neededgame-wont-boot-up-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.