• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161113_175449 (1) (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi all,

I purchased a MGOW and once I got it home I discovered it had some issues.
One being that I cannot get into the self test. I have checked continuity of the button itself and its functional.

I have read the Gottlieb System80 service manual pdf and it mentions checking the "Play/Test switch isolation diode on bottom board".

Where is this located, and how do I test if with my DMM? Has anyone had a similar issue? And if so what else can I check to determine the cause of the Play/Test button not registering?

#3 7 years ago

I found the strip. I checked the diodes and got a reading back of .235 or .240 for all. I attached an image. Assuming this is the right strip.

Still not working. Is there a way to jump someplace to bypass the switch so I can enter diagnostics?

20161113_175449 (1) (resized).jpg20161113_175449 (1) (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Follow the wire from the diode to the MPU and make sure you have a good connection.

#5 7 years ago

Probably the connector pin at the cpu board.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the leads guys. I traced the wiring back to the cpu board and to Z14. I went ahead and ordered a new SN7400N IC and will see if replacing this fixes the issue. Will keep you all posted.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from J-A-Z:

I found the strip. I checked the diodes and got a reading back of .235 or .240 for all. I attached an image. Assuming this is the right strip.

Did you test the diodes in both directions? One direction should give a reading, the other should not.

Diodes are polarized, so electricity can only flow in one direction. If you're getting readings in both directions, then the diode is probalby bad.

#8 7 years ago

Reading only in one direction.

#9 7 years ago

Fixed the problem. After much tracing, one of the 2 wires for the switch has been broken right where the bend is for the coin door hinge. At some point in its life it must have had the coin door swung open waaay to far. Wire looked fine, but copper was broken. Ended up using a tone generator to find the break. Cut out break and spliced back together. Works like a champ now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys-80-playtest-button-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.