1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4842 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

What's the solution? Light sand and re-tin each strip? I've already tried eraser, and I did treat the area with vinegar, just in case. Testing each contact strip, most don't show continuity between the strip and the other end of each trace. Gottlieb Black Hole, revision 3 sys 80

IMG_4842 (resized).JPGIMG_4842 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

Dremel with an abrasive buff, 300 grit. It’s not very aggressive on the masking and will clean up the edge connectors nicely.

#3 1 year ago

I have used a fiberglass brush and vinegar to clean off the corrosion and then rinse with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Then re-tin. You can search battery corrosion in the forum and get all kinds of suggestions.

#4 1 year ago

Clean off the corrosion with any method you choose that won't destroy the edge connector.
Then re-tin them with 63/37 solder. If you don't know what that is, oh well.
Good luck.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from swanng:

Clean off the corrosion with any method you choose that won't destroy the edge connector.
Then re-tin them with 63/37 solder. If you don't know what that is, oh well.
Good luck.

I know, thanks. Got them shiny again, now on to re-tin.

#6 1 year ago

Question about the displays in the backbox - do they turn on before the mpu boots?

#7 1 year ago

No, not with the original or Ni-Wumpf CPU.

#8 1 year ago

until cleaned up you're unlikely to get proper contact with your meter probes for continuity readings.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

until cleaned up you're unlikely to get proper contact with your meter probes for continuity readings.

I've been able to check most of the traces, just to see what I'm looking at. So far, I have continuity on everything. I take it the Ni-Wumpf board is no longer available. If I decide to go that route, it's either Pascal or Rottendog. Or of course, the 3-in-1 replacement, PI-80 is there if I really want to make it simple. I got the disc motor working, but it's noisy as f, so I will replace it anyway.

I feel this machine was in dry storage for a long time. The rubbers were rock hard and brittle. Plastics are warped, will replace. I'll do a complete teardown once I get the heartbeat back into the game.

Are there any suppliers who sell reset circuit packages of parts? Also, I see info on a Dallas Maxim 1811 Reset Generator, but nowhere do I see such for sale as an option?

#10 1 year ago

I use a combination of neutralizing with vinegar, scraping with exacto, scotch bright abrasive pads for the Dremel, fiberglass pen, and eraser. Also extra flux and use solder to retin then solder wick to remove excess solder. After that a wipe with rubbing alcohol and over again with eraser. Been very happy with the results.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys-80-mpu-edge-corrosion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.