• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Raff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hello,

I have a System 80 James Bond which I have been working on for a week. I did bulletproofing, replaced U4 6532, repaired battery corrosion areas and finally got it to boot to attract mode. All displays good and the bookkeeping and tests are working fine. Test #18 = 99, test #20 = 99, all coils working in attract mode.

My problem is when I press the start button ball is ejected into shooting trough, 0 flashes in player one display and then instantly the knocker energizes once and game goes dead - no displays, does nothing. You have to turn power off then back on; it will go into attract mode again.

Fortunately I have another system 80 working set of boards out of my Volcano. I tried these and same thing happen, I then tried Volcano cpu with Volcano Prom and when I hit start button, ball ejects into shooting trough and Player 1 flashes 0, but I get no knocker and game stays booted but everything else is dead – no switches or solenoids working. I am assuming this is because of wrong Prom, but it does stay booted with flashing 0 in player 1 display. With James Bond Prom it shuts down.

I came to the conclusion that James Bond Prom maybe bad and have ordered one from Flippers.com BTW it is a 3/5 ball version James Bond as the Instruction card indicates, also has a sticker above the timer display indicating a special for 90 on timer.

My question is does it look like I’m on the right track or could it be something besides the Prom?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Gary C

#2 7 years ago

Did you swap the PROMs, or only the boards?

The new PROM *might* have an effect, but might not.

If the game still malfunctions with the new PROM, then it may be a driver board issue, MPU issue, wiring issue, connector issue, diode issue on a coil, or poasibly a short.

I generally don't like swapping a known good board into a game that is malfunctioning without troubleshooting thoroughly. There's always a chance that an issue in the game may cause the same damage on the board that was swapped in.

One diagnostic tool I've been using is Marco's test ROM, which I've found helpful for diagnosing certain issues on the MPU. There is also an extended test ROM that might also be helpful I'm this situation if you suspect an MPU problem.

http://www.pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_universaltester.php

#3 7 years ago

I had a similar problems on my system 80a game a while back , I changed the two orange capacitors in the cabinet, done the ground mods on all the boards, the slam switch mod, and had a problem at Q3 on the power board

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys-80-james-bond-start-game-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.