• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello,

Gottlieb Mario Andretti with Sys 3 boards. All sound is out otherwise game is fine. Solid red on main sound board (actually it pulses at the normal rate but it is barely noticeable unless the room dark). Aux sound board has no LED. Removed aux board and hooked up separate 5v supply to the aux board and LED comes on. I did find a pin on the ribbon cable between the two was broken and looked like it had been previously repaired. Waiting for new cable. In the meantime my research seems to indicate the main board should "work", as in flashing LED, without the aux board attached and one of the most common failures is one, or both of the static ram chips on the main sound board (MA-1629). I'm trying to obtain a set of test ROM's loaded with MarAlb's test code. I don't have a way to burn the ROM's so I'm trying to find someone who can supply me with a set of test ROM's already burned. I'm located in northeast Ohio.

Greg

#2 2 years ago

PM sent

#3 2 years ago

Group. Just to let you know. Thanks to latenite04's help it does appear my Y ram is bad. I got the test roms and upon initial power up I get in sync blinking board and test rom led's when on the Y side CPU. I push the reset button and board LED goes out, get 1 bright flash on test LED then it goes to a steady dim and that's it. Moving to the D side CPU, same on power up. Pushing the reset button OR briefly grounding pin 6 on the D side 6502 CPU cause board LED to go out but the test LED does exactly what Marco's manual says it should do. It does a bright flash, dim flash, bright flash, pause and then goes into what Marco calls idling mode (steady but slow flashing). This happens over only a very few seconds.

Now if I have the courage to try and replace the y-ram. Last time I worked on the driver board for this machine (years ago), it didn't go well trying to replace some blown mosfet's on the board. Got it done but not pretty. I seem to remember trying to get the blown chips out in one piece, bad move, I know better now and cut legs.

Greg

#4 2 years ago

I'm glad the test roms worked for you and you got it diagnosed. Good luck changing the ram chip.

1 month later
#5 2 years ago

Took the plunge. All went well. Bought a manual heated solder sucker, best purchase ever for this type of work. Ended up installing 2 rows of SIP sockets instead of one DIP socket. Verified continuity on all pins. Hooked it up and all sounds back. Thanks for all the help.
Greg

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from glentz:

Took the plunge. All went well. Bought a manual heated solder sucker, best purchase ever for this type of work. Ended up installing 2 rows of SIP sockets instead of one DIP socket. Verified continuity on all pins. Hooked it up and all sounds back. Thanks for all the help.
Greg

which one? the bulb one or a gun?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weyburn, SK
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys-3-sound-board-testing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.