(Topic ID: 242312)

Gottlieb sys 3 issues

By fatality83

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a Freddy pin that has been acting strange. Backbox GI was not working. Replaced the blown fuse in the cabinet and the backbox lights started working. Some of the flashers are not working, I am assuming some of these are socket issues that I can fix by replacing sockets, but there is one set of sockets that only work when there is one flasher bulb installed instead of two (boiler room has two flasher bulbs, but it will only work if one bulb is installed. As soon as the 2nd bulb is installed, the illuminated one goes out ) Also one of the flashers in the back box is very bright and constantly lit full brightness with a little pulsation. Another flasher in the backbox glows orange even when it is not flashing. The boiler room flasher also does the same.

Here's the kicker. If I raise the playfield up enough where it is not resting on the metal frame cabinet support, the flasher in the backbox that illuminates constantly at full brightness, goes out and starts blinking like it should. Also the boiler room flasher and other flasher in the backbox that glow orange all the time stop glowing orange and flash like they normally should. If I lower the playfield so it is resting down all the way on the metal frame, the flasher goes back to constant full brightness again and the boiler flasher and other backbox flasher glow orange even when not illuminating. It does this over an over each time. Even if I barely move the playfield. Seems like something is shorting out in the cabinet to the frame maybe. I did read about doing a ground mod which I plan to do but haven't yet. Do you think the ground mod will fix this flasher issue? Any ideas why the flashers are not working if both are installed in the boiler but work if only one is in and the playfield is raised.

Also freddys eyes are not lighting up no matter what I do with the bulbs. From my research there is a transistor that controls the eyes. I don't have a manual ( one is one order), can anyone tell me if q21 is the transistor for the eyes so I can check it? Hopefully these are easy cheap fixes, I have a LW3 I need to shop pit and will be getting a TFTC within the next few weeks I am going to want to do some modding. Thanks

#2 4 years ago

So I started doing the ground mod done the way it shows it on PinRepair.com where you strip some of the insulation back on the ground wires and solder them all together and then plug the connectors back in to the board like they normally go. I also reflowed solder to the ground board and cleaned the electrical plugs and connectors up with electronic contact cleaner. I found one or two buld sockets that had wires close to touching the base of the bulb socket and bent them away some. Now I only have two of the plugs cut and grounded together on the ground plain. It is tedious stripping the wire off each of the wires and trying to keep it in a relative similar area so they can be soldered to one another. Even more so when the ground plugs are not very long and you are hunched over in the cabinet.

Not sure what fixed it but my flasher is now operating as normal in the back box and is no longer locking on at full brightness. Also the house and boiler flashers are working as well but I did notice when you test them in test menu that when you test either boiler room flasher or his house that both boiler and house flashers blink like they are tied together. Not sure if this is normal or not. Also I didn't yet try to put a 2nd bulb in the house to see if that still stops the other bulb from flashing or not .

Still having issues with the boiler motor. I cleaned the contacts on the switches with contact cleaner and re double checked that both switches are working that show door up and down. I reflowed solder on the optos in front of the door and on the subway under the playfield. Door still is not working properly. I ordered a new door motor from marco as a last shot effort. If it isn't the motor the only other thing would be the cpu that controls the door or the little 2026 motor board that is mounted to the bottom of the motor.

1 week later
#3 4 years ago

Got the same problem on a Stargate with the Glider's motor who burned. As the motors board aren't protect by a fuse. The board attach to the motor burns and transistor on A3 board too.
Test the motor before buy a new one. Put MM on Ohmmeter and touch +- on motor. If it is ok you might have a value under 1 and if it is broke the value will be 1 and the Ohmmeter will buzz.
After I repair every board and buy a new motor at marcospecialties I add a 7A fuse on the + of the motor.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Benhurr:

Got the same problem on a Stargate with the Glider's motor who burned. As the motors board aren't protect by a fuse. The board attach to the motor burns and transistor on A3 board too.
Test the motor before buy a new one. Put MM on Ohmmeter and touch +- on motor. If it is ok you might have a value under 1 and if it is broke the value will be 1 and the Ohmmeter will buzz.
After I repair every board and buy a new motor at marcospecialties I add a 7A fuse on the + of the motor.

thanks, it seems the motor issue is fixed, although now sure what fixed it. I did notice a drop target was triggering all the time as being down even though it was up. Maybe that was keeping it from working. Also before I fixed the drop target switch, I pulled the switch wires off the motor and put them back on. Then it started working. So it was probably either a flakey connection at the motor or switch, or drop target falsly triggering.

Now my last issue is to figure out why two flashers are flashing together that shouldn't.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys-3-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.