Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Genieye
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

A rectifier issue would affect most coils. The spoon switch is the first thing to check. Make sure it's properly gapped and manipulate the platter to make sure the finger can't get stuck anywhere. It is worthwhile to test the transistors on the driver board as well and see if the transistor driving this pop is in spec. Last but not least, floating grounds can cause coils to lock on so the board set should have ground mods done and the interconnect cable should be checked and recrimped if necessary.

Some people convert their System 1 pops to use system 80 pop boards. This makes lock ons less likely and gives a stronger more consistent pop but it doesn't not remove the need to do the above things.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It's a system 1, there's no transistors involved with the pops. The only thing that can lock the coil on is if the spoon switch is stuck closed for some reason.

Zacaj is correct. I read the Schematic wrong.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

I real quick follow up if you don't mind regarding the solenoid bridge rectifier. Someone from the replacement board world says that I should replace the bridge rectifier after my pop bumper fry as there were also some other issues with the lower targets not popping up. It certainly seems the spoon switch is the culprit with the pop bumper. but he says replace the rectifier as well. You stated that a bad rectifier would affect most coils. If it was bad do you think there would be more coil issues than I am seeing? Plan on testing it when I get the new coil today but would great to know from those who do. Thanks so much!

the rectifier is easy to test. Pinwiki has instructions on how to test it using a dmm in diode mode. Or you can measure the inputs to it in VAC ~27 and the outputs in VDC ~24.

If it fails any of these then certainly replace it

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Genieye:

Got the new coil A-1496 and could not find anything wrong with the rectifier. The pop bumper fires but does not seem to have the pop that it did or like the one next to it. Is there an adjustment on these? Feel so close to having it right. Thanks to all!

You want the pop spoon switch as close as possible without accidentally triggering. System 1 pops are directly driven from the spoon switch

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys-1-pop-bumper-coil-issue?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.