(Topic ID: 174335)

Gottlieb Sys 1 - new power cable, either way around?

By 4Max

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by 4Max
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sys1 Trafoboard (resized).JPG
38f8bcc1-c1b9-46d0-b4fa-6bfd15069707_300 (resized).jpg
personalizedpowerdiagrambyotaku4 (resized).png
IMG_3837 (resized).JPG
Outlet (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi, the power lead on my project Charlies Angel's is history and I dont trust any old connections.

I have a new one, but does it matter which way round the live and neutral attach to the filter box?

I searched and could not find any advice on Vids guide, etc

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving all

#2 7 years ago

Trace the wires through to the service outlet. You want it wired so when plugged in the service outlet matches a wall outlet with the neutral to the left when ground is down.

You want hot running through the power switch and main line fuse.

Outlet (resized).jpgOutlet (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Thanks, Poly but unlike my EMs the fused side is not clear due to this filter.
IMG_3837 (resized).JPGIMG_3837 (resized).JPG
Can I assume that the hot lead is the one attached to the bottom right connection of the filter (where it reads 7841)

Apologies if I'm being thick, but this is my first SS and I get nervous with 110v.

#4 7 years ago

I would assume the filter doesn't "switch" inside. Trace the cord from the wire to the left to the smaller pin on the plug.

REMEMBER: The HOT is the SMALLER plug on the outlet/plug. I made this mistake many-a-time as a newbie (not saying you are, but good advice) figuring that the HOT must be the bigger plug on the left. It is not! It is the one on the right! Neutral (white wire) is the bigger one on the left!

And, of course, your full ground/earth ground is the plug on the bottom and utilizes a green wire (or green-yellow wire, like this machine) as standard.

Enjoy, good luck, and have fun! (and be safe)

personalizedpowerdiagrambyotaku4 (resized).pngpersonalizedpowerdiagrambyotaku4 (resized).png

#5 7 years ago

I concur with otaku! That looks just like mine, the filter does pass straight through. And the service outlet has the correct colors for house wiring, black hot and white neutral.

You can pick up a receptacle tester at the hardware store for $5 to check your work.

38f8bcc1-c1b9-46d0-b4fa-6bfd15069707_300 (resized).jpg38f8bcc1-c1b9-46d0-b4fa-6bfd15069707_300 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

Hi, the power lead on my project Charlies Angel's is history and I dont trust any old connections.
I have a new one, but does it matter which way round the live and neutral attach to the filter box?
I searched and could not find any advice on Vids guide, etc
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving all

Look, what I have made 10 years ago, mightbe, this helps you a bit.

If you want it as PDF in better resolution, simply send me a PM.

To answer your question, it does not matter, where which way round the live and neutral are attached to the filter box, there is still AC-Voltage. Nethertheless I would change the main switch to a 2-pole switch, so that if this switch is turned off, BOTH, L AND N are switched off and not only one of them. Or you leave the original switch in and measure very carefully, where L=HOT is, so that your HOT is switched and not the neutral.

Work careful and be cautious, HIGH VOLTAGE can be deadly.

sys1 Trafoboard (resized).JPGsys1 Trafoboard (resized).JPG

And if you look at your photos and the schematics how criminal dangerous these machine are inside cabinet. There is always line voltage in the cabinet especially at the line filter, that is not protected against touching. I never leave the coin door open and hide the coindoor keys of all my sys1-machines. Cannot imagine, what happens, when my 6 year old son grabs through the open coindoor and touches the unprotected connectors of the line filter. Nethertheless I love GTB sys1 more than all other, I have them all.

#7 7 years ago

Excellent, thanks all

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sys-1-new-power-cable-either-way-around and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.