20210921_103633 (resized).jpg
20210921_103855 (resized).jpg
E29B9DD9-814C-44A9-AF67-5073FE800C9E (resized).jpeg
08222FF5-C9AB-4FF7-8C3F-096A3FD1F01D (resized).jpeg
9D073D3A-A3C3-46E8-A366-D3157B494497 (resized).jpeg
Spinner (resized).jpg
Spinner - Underside (resized).jpg
Spinner Lights 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quartermaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 2 years ago

I recently completed an overhaul of a surfer and encountered a similar symptom. In your photo it appears that you show the weight sitting above the switch and holding it down until the spinner rotates allowing it to rise and make contact. That is how mine was assembled as well and it was extremely ineffective at triggering rapid fire action of the spinner. I'm not sure of the original design but no matter how much fine adjusting I did it was not working well.

My solution was to mount the weight below the blade and adjust the blade to rest at the top of the weight so that upon rotation the weight would lift the blade to make contact. Sorry no photos available but I can tell you that the difference was amazing. weight at bottom of rotation holds spinner wireform down naturally with no resistance from blade tension, then when rotating , blade is lifted to make contact and allowed to return to it's level position after. Spinner is now highly responsive and scores properly.

Of course, everything stated here regarding AS relay proper operation is dead accurate, they are finicky little buggers and require a lot of patience and finesse in adjusting for smooth operation (perhaps an additional "S" in the "AS" relay title would be fitting)

Good Luck, Surfer is a great title and deserves to play up to it's potential.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quartermaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surfer-spinner-problem?tu=quartermaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.