(Topic ID: 298201)

Gottlieb Surfer Player Unit Issues

By newmdlarmy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Ok…. My Surfer machine I’ve been working on for a long time has been revived, with a few issues left I am having trouble with.
1) when the start button is pushed with the ball in the outhole, the game resets player one score reels. The FS relay in the back box pulses while this is happening. Once the player one scores reset, the FS relay keeps pulsing (and score motor keeps spinning) and will do this indefinitely. But… If I manually move the player unit one step forward, the FS relay immediately stops, player two scores reset, ball kicks out and score motor stops. I can play a game all the way through, one of two players- and it will go all the way to game over.
I have schematics and I see that P3E is involved to reset player two scores. Once I manually move the player unit, the reset happens. What action causes the player unit to advance on its own?
2) This just started tonight: I manually advance the player unit in the above example for the game to start. Now, the ball kicks out, display shows ball one. I plunge the ball and hit any one of the five 500 point switches at the top of the playfield (the ball has to hit one of them- there’s no where else to go). The scoring will start to score the 500 points, but will only go to 400. The other 100 points goes to player two, while the 400 points are being scored. And the rest bank mounted on the underside of the playfield does it’s reset pulse during this process. This only happens from the start of ball launch and does not continue during ball in play. But after ball one drains it will do the same thing for ball two and so on until the game is over. Another point to mention is that the ball count will not move to the next ball in play until one of these 500 point switches is hit and scoring begins. In other words, when ball one drains and the ball kicks over into the shooter lame, the ball count does not advance UNTIL points are scored. Thanks for any assistance.

#2 2 years ago

Resolved! It was a bad switch terminal on a zero position switch for player one. Thanks for the pinball energy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surfer-player-unit-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.