Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by jfranci
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181109_134701 (resized).jpg
Score reels (resized).jpg
P2 Full Schematic (resized).jpg
P1 Switch Schematic (resized).jpg
Score switches position (resized).jpg
Score dial (resized).jpg

#1 23 days ago

Hi all, my player 2 is not being awarded a free game when achieving the threshold credit score (does on match). Surfer is a 2 player game and player 1 correctly gives credits on score and match.

Looking at the player unit schematics below (I cut out the middle). I'm assuming the problem is at the outer ends as much of the schematic middle ground electro-magnetics is shared between player 1 and 2. (setting high score), except for the P2 score reels wiring, which I checked - all seem solid.

Looking at the schematic, it appears to me that for the 'check for free game' path to energize between the left and right of the schematic, both P1A and P1B must be closed for the active player (P1 or P2).

However, when I move the player unit coil manually, the P1A and P1B switches always alternate between closed and open. That is, if Player 1 is playing (as per dial position), the switches are as shown, P1A is open and P1B is closed. When I move to Player 2, they reverse (P1A is closed P2A is open). Am I misreading the schematic?

Thank you!

P1 Switch Schematic (resized).jpgScore dial (resized).jpgScore switches position (resized).jpg
#2 23 days ago

You're hot on the trail, jfranci . Well done!!!
Do the long blades move the short blades? Use Alligator clip jumper wires to diagnose this.

#3 21 days ago

Thanks howardr! LOL - yes, the long blades move the short ones. I cleaned everything with a Flexstone as well and checked audible continuity at the blades when in contact and they seem to be fine. However, I'm unsure of where to place the alligator clips if I'm to test the continuity along the entire free game path as per the diagrams. As mentioned above, the diagram and Player Unit P1 switches do not match as the schematic indicates the natural position (I'm assuming the machine off and the Player unit sitting at Player 1, Ball 1) is with P1A and P1B both ON, however looking at it as shown in my photos, P1A and P1B alternate on and off.

Everything makes sense starting on the right until I hit P1A on the right because as per the diagram you kindly provided in an earlier post I made (shown below), P1A and P1B must both be closed to get to the knocker and free play coils...It seems very evident to me that the game's P1A/P1B on/off pattern when the cam passes is intentional - that is, it's not been bent through abuse or use...and that is contrary to the schematic.

P2 Full Schematic (resized).jpg
#4 21 days ago

If player 1 is awarding a replay and 2 isn't, before going to the hard stuff, check the easy stuff first.

Make sure the wipers on the score reels associated with high score replays, 10000 and 1000, are making good contact, and the circuit boards are clean. Also check all the wires to those circuit boards, including the common wire. I couldn't get a replay on my Jacks Open even though everything was where it should be. It ended up being the common wire being loose.

If all that is good, then the player unit would be the culprit in all likelihood.

#5 21 days ago

Hey Jerry,

I thought that picture looked familiar.

Yeah that's a complicated circuit. Note that both switches in the picture are shown in the position for the 1st Player score reels (called "Unit" in the pic). And my red lines are drawn hooking to the 2nd Player score reels. Does that answer your question about how the circuit is supposed to work?

If you'd like to diagnose this over the phone send me your cell # in a private message.

Howard

#6 21 days ago

Check the score reel circuit board jumpers for the common wire. Resolder jumpers if connections are cracked.

#7 20 days ago

Thanks howardr , emsinkc , pinballdaveh - I'll check all you've kindly suggested! Appreciate your pinball wisdom! howardr - hopefully I find this, if not I may take you up on your generous phone call offer! Funny thing is I almost never play 2-player, but I find this stuff is half the fun of owning one!

#8 20 days ago
Quoted from jfranci:

Funny thing is I almost never play 2-player,

Good to do to keep everything working right!

2 weeks later
#9 6 days ago

emsinkc - to check the score reel wipers properly, I'd have to disassemble the 1K and 10K score reels, correct? I've tried to peek inside with a flashlight but really can't see much of anything. I watched someone disassemble on YouTube and it seems a little risky in regards to realignment on reassembly.

All the wires across all P2 seem well soldered including the common wire - I assume that's the wire that connects to the circuit board hole labelled "C" is the common wire? (LOL). See photo.

To eliminate things, I recently also made the game reach the free game award threshold on 1st, 2nd and 3rd ball separately, but it made no difference.

Score reels (resized).jpg
#10 5 days ago

Undo the two screws and check the board
For damage.
IMG_20181109_134701 (resized).jpg

#11 3 days ago

Many thanks howardr emsinkc raff for your guidance - found the issue! I disassembled the 10K and 1K score reels and cleaned the contacts, wiper and board and 2nd player now registers free games!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 14.00
$ 34.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.95
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.00
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 66.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 4.00
Electronics
Professor Pinball
€ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside