3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TimMe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

R! (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

I don’t have a schematic but if someone can let me know what coil is the replacement for the Game Over as it’s burned.

Thank you very much in advance!

#2 3 years ago

I believe it's a "A-9736"

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

I believe it's a "A-9736"

#4 3 years ago
    Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
    #6 3 years ago

get two or three, hold and 1st ball all use the same coil and are usually burnt as well

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for that information, I have a typo obviously.

R! (resized).jpgR! (resized).jpg
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Thanks for that information, I have a typo obviously.

Is that the schematic? I took the snippet out of the manual. If that is the schematic, I would check with PBR to confirm which is correct.

#9 3 years ago

The schematic and the manual for Surfer both list A9740 for the Game Over relay (Q)

#10 3 years ago

The A-9736 coil is around 25 ohms. The A-9740 is around 20 ohms. We can assume that the A-9736 runs at a lower current, and would therefore last longer.

There is a catch, however. The magnetic pulling power of the A-9736 coil is less than the A-9740. The game over relay in this era of GTB game usually has five or six switches on it, so it needs fairly strong magnetic pulling power to energize reliably.

It may be that GTB originally specified an A-9736 coil, but found that in actual use, the stronger A-9740 was needed.

By the way, there is also an A-9738 coil, which is around 30 ohms. These are useful on hold relays that have only one or two switches, when the magnetic pulling power needed is low.

- TimMe

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surfer-pinball-machine-game-over-coil- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.