(Topic ID: 227340)

Gottlieb Surfer on the side of the road. Anyone want it?

By Electrocute

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by ChipS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C8FCA302-29B3-4929-AFBF-1CDACFFD749E (resized).jpeg
2B7D700E-9FE1-435B-A78D-76F7CB0FBB43 (resized).jpeg
A73B6F97-5AC6-4A87-A636-0B5821152E59 (resized).jpeg
download (1) (resized).jpg
3993A811-049E-4CC6-A799-BC60A190D703 (resized).jpeg
B85528B0-0132-4798-BA6D-2564FFFC94AF (resized).jpeg
7E611972-4B45-4458-87E3-FC702E37F733 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Saw this on the side of the road on my way back home tonight. Cabinet is rotten, playfield has some wear, decent backglass, lockdown bar present.

May go back and retrieve it tomorrow morning. Anyone want it? Kinda of a "rescue pinball" machine.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

It's like working for the police and seeing a crime scene where a dead body lay.
The poor, poor machine.
Yes, go pick up the "victim".

#3 5 years ago

Sure. The parts you can strip off it will be worth $$ to someone.

#4 5 years ago

Backglass looks to be in great shape, go get it now before some little booger eaters tear it apart.

#5 5 years ago

That cab looks better than the shit one I got.
Go get it!

#6 5 years ago

I'll buy the apron and plastics if you decide to part it out...

#7 5 years ago

A COMPLETE MACHINE JUST LAYING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD?!? The hell???
I need to move apparently. Go get it NOW don’t wait, it’ll be gone!

The time to jump is when you see it!

#8 5 years ago

Wishlist drooling up here in Michigan

#9 5 years ago

Please save that backglass!!

#10 5 years ago

I will buy the right slingshot if it is in decent shape.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

A COMPLETE MACHINE JUST LAYING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD?!? The hell???

I had that game and that's where it may have ended up if someone hadn't come along and bought it.

#12 5 years ago

I'm on the way!!

#13 5 years ago

That would be in the back of my truck already.

#14 5 years ago

It could come with free pocket pets, use caution

#15 5 years ago

Probably just a fuse

#16 5 years ago

It was gone this morning. Was able to get the backglass hoping it would deter someone from getting the rest. Really wished I could of got the lockdown bar (worth $50+) Latched was seized.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#17 5 years ago

That will buff right out

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

It was gone this morning. Was able to get the backglass hoping it would deter someone from getting the rest. Really wished I could of got the lockdown bar (worth $50+) Latched was seized.

Told ya! I woulda gone back immediately, called in to work, and had my new2me pin setup and start working

#19 5 years ago

The real question is “who wouldn’t want that?” I would’ve called someone and stayed with it until they arrived. Free pinball machines in any condition are an endangered species these days.

#20 5 years ago

Let us know if there is a Craigslist ad posted soon in your area for a Surfer machine; "missing backglass, was in storage for years but worked last time it was plugged in."

#21 5 years ago

Why you didnt get it when you saw it is beyond me, i would never leave an opportunity like that even for an hour.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Why you didnt get it when you saw it is beyond me, i would never leave an opportunity like that even for an hour.

Yes, I screwed up. Didn't think anyone living back here had an interest in pinball machines.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Yes, I screwed up. Didn't think anyone living back here had an interest in pinball machines.

Metal scrappers will destroy ANYTHING for $1.00 in scrap weight...

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Florida is full of collectors.

https://www.villagebbs.com/

#25 5 years ago

Well, if we are lucky some collector got to it before scrappers.

#26 5 years ago

This looks like a job for Pinballers.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Metal scrappers will destroy ANYTHING for $1.00 in scrap weight...

#28 5 years ago

Good that you were able to save the backglass. Depending on the surroundings behind that pinball I would have tried to "de-leg" it and drag it a few yards into the
bushes away from the road and then retrieve it from that spot as soon as possible. But then again, time is always a factor - and I know how heavy a single carry can be

#29 5 years ago

My second pin ever was a Gottlieb "Play Mates" which I found in the trash.
At the time, I actually drove past it, then thought better of it and turned back to get it. If that were today, I would dive out the driver's side window before the car could come to a stop!

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

If that were today, I would dive out the driver's side window before the car could come to a stop!

That must be an exaggeration, as going for a free pin like that might not be worth a new hip!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

At the time, I actually drove past it, then thought better of it and turned back to get it. If that were today, I would dive out the driver's side window before the car could come to a stop!

A man of my own spirit here

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

In true LEP man style.

1 month later
#33 5 years ago

Surprisingly, Surfer showed up again at the curb this morning. Head missing. Brought it back to the farm. Sadly, this one doesn’t have a chance.

3993A811-049E-4CC6-A799-BC60A190D703 (resized).jpeg3993A811-049E-4CC6-A799-BC60A190D703 (resized).jpeg7E611972-4B45-4458-87E3-FC702E37F733 (resized).jpeg7E611972-4B45-4458-87E3-FC702E37F733 (resized).jpegB85528B0-0132-4798-BA6D-2564FFFC94AF (resized).jpegB85528B0-0132-4798-BA6D-2564FFFC94AF (resized).jpeg
#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Surprisingly, Surfer showed up again at the curb this morning. Head missing. Brought it back to the farm. Sadly, this one doesn’t have a chance.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

A lot of usable parts there though.... Is the lockdown bar decent?

#35 5 years ago

I got that, seized to the receiver. Will soak it in evapo rust tomorrow. Good shape.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I’m confused, is this the SAME pin? Can you ask the folks near the curb if they know what happened to the head? Very strange

#37 5 years ago

I will buy the right slingshot plastic if it is in decent shape.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I will buy the right slingshot plastic if it is in decent shape.

You’ll get the entire set for free. Filthy but intact. Just PM me with your address.

#39 5 years ago

Every time I read this thread title, something like this comes to mind.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
4 years later
#40 1 year ago

That machine is dead, gone and buried. But, I haven’t forgotten. This one will get the Wade Krause playfield!

A73B6F97-5AC6-4A87-A636-0B5821152E59 (resized).jpegA73B6F97-5AC6-4A87-A636-0B5821152E59 (resized).jpeg
#41 1 year ago

That machine wouldn't have left my sight.
If it was the car I had, the crap in the truck
would have been left there, and the head in
the back seat..

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Mopar:

That machine wouldn't have left my sight.
If it was the car I had, the crap in the truck
would have been left there, and the head in
the back seat..

It has always haunted me.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

It has always haunted me.

Haha. I said that in general. I meant me myself would have 100% scooped it up.
It wasn't directed to you..
Many years ago, I picked up a near mint Surf Champ for 100 bucks. I traded
it before going through it. Years later, (but still years ago), I picked up a
Surfer for $100.00 and had it stored, and then kept hearing good things about it so
a few years ago I dug it out, went through. Like it!, and can still kick myself
for trading off that Surf Champ. The Surfer isn't in bad condition, and I somewhat
do like 2 Player machines better, but that damn Surf Champ was in such nice shape..

8 months later
#44 6 months ago

The Wade Surfer playfield has arrived along with El Dorado.

2B7D700E-9FE1-435B-A78D-76F7CB0FBB43 (resized).jpeg2B7D700E-9FE1-435B-A78D-76F7CB0FBB43 (resized).jpegC8FCA302-29B3-4929-AFBF-1CDACFFD749E (resized).jpegC8FCA302-29B3-4929-AFBF-1CDACFFD749E (resized).jpeg
#45 6 months ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

The Wade Surfer playfield has arrived along with El Dorado.

You need to post this in the Wade Surf Champ playfield forum: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wade-krause-repro-gottlieb-surf-champ-playfield/page/3

It will have everyone - like me - wondering "When is my Wade Surf Champ playfield coming??"

#46 6 months ago

Requested Wade to ship out El Dorado alone because I want to get that project started. Wade shipped out both El Dorado and Surfer to save on shipping.

#47 6 months ago

Yup - I get it. Hopefully that means the Surfer/Surf Champ PFs are complete and he will be shipping out to everyone else soon...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surfer-on-the-side-of-the-road-anyone-want-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.