white wire.pdf (PDF preview)
0Surfer-pinside-Work-03 (resized).jpg
transformer (resized).jpg
0Surfer-pinside-Work-02 (resized).jpg
0Surfer-pinside-Work-01 (resized).jpg
IMG-1667 (resized).JPG
IMG-1665 (resized).JPG
IMG-1660 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

Hi pfried
DANGER - You are and You will handle line current --- 110VAC can kill peope - also 24VAC - also 6VAC can kill people. Wear rubber gloves - exercise caution - NEVER touch bare metal - ALWAYS hold a Jumper-Wire at the insulation.

I show Your snippet of schematics again - "marked green" is what You have tested by plugging-in a light into the convenience-outlet.
Lets first stay on the 110VAC side --- the Target-Bank-Reset-Coil and the Sequence-Bank-Reset-Coil both operate on 110VAC. TOGGLE-OFF the pin and unplug the main power-cord - then locate these mentioned Reset-Coils. A short wire of unknown color runs to a fuse --- see the situation "marked red": clip-on a Jumper-Wire at "OTHER SIDE of the fuse" - take the other end of the Jumper-Wire to the main-power-switch and lay the end of the Jumper-Wire near it - lay it on wood. Look on the main power switch for "wire-in-the-pin-of-color-red". Practice a bit - hold the Jumper-Wire at the insulation and tip-on and pull away "at switch side wire-in-the-pin-of-color-red".

After practicing a bit: Plug-in, toggle-on --- then (caution) hold the Jumper-Wire at the insulation and tip-on and pull away "at switch side wire-in-the-pin-of-color-red" --- question: Does the Reset-Coil fire ? Depending on Your answer we will proceed to "24VAC-wirings" or we stay on "110VAC-wirings".

I very much like the Test-Light SteveFury made - see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 --- two car-bulbs of 12Volts put one behind the other - this sums-up to an 24VAC-Test-Light. (((I say everybody with an Williams and/or Gottlieb-pin should have such an Test-Light - make You one))) Greetings Rolf

0Surfer-pinside-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Surfer-pinside-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

Hi pfried
sorry - in the JPG in post-8 I did not write "tip-on and pull away". In an functioning pin the feature "reset" is done by the Score-Motor turning and so closing Score-Motor-Switch-4B for just about a tenth or a fifth of a second. I sould have written: "Imitate the short period of time - tip-on and pull-off."

When You do "tip-on and pull away": Does this sound like an "bank resetting" ?

Clipping on permanent the Test-Light: Toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons). Locate the R-Relay*** or the S-Relay*** - look at the coil on the relay - on one side there are two wires of color-black soldered-on (actually it is one wire of color-black hopping to an relay - hopping to next relay - hopping ... etc.). Clip-on the Test-Light at this solder-lug on the coil - on side "wire(s)-black soldered-on" - take the other end of the Test-Light to the 24VAC-15-Amp-Fuse and lay the end of "Test-Light-Wire / gator clip" onto wood - side of fuse having soldered-on wire-color-red-green.

Then plug-in, toggle-on --- exercise care - hold the insulation of the wire / gator-clip and tip-on and pull-away "at fuse-side-wire-red-green". Question: Does the Test-Light lights up ?

R-Relay*** or the S-Relay***: The R-Relay or the S-Relay or another relay with these two wires-color-black is good to use --- I would use the R-Relay or the S-Relay because (probably soon) we will look at these relays as these relays must function when starting a new game.

(((I hope / guess when You make / wire Your Test-Light: The wiring is so current must flow through the first bulb - then flows through the second bulb - wired 'in series'))) Greetings Rolf

P.S.: If You have "just a little doubt": FIRST write about "doubt" - we clarify.

#15 6 years ago

Hi pfried
You can test the functionality of Your "Home-made Test-Light" - use it on Your car. On the car we forget about fuses - simply connect one side of Your Test-Light to "PLUS-Pole on Your car-battery" and tip-on the other side of Your Test-Light onto "MINUS-Pole on Your car-battery". (I never did it but I say: Your Test-Light should give a dim light. Please: Try and write about.

We (most likely) have to work longer in time on the 110VAC-side. See the JPG - the "my brown line and text 'not yet tested' ": Toggle-off the pin and unplug the main power cord. Visually follow the wire-in-the-pin-color-red from "main power switch" to "Solder-Lug on transformer". When You are 100% sure "I (means You) can visually follow from "main power switch" to "Solder-Lug on transformer": You can establish an permanent Jumper-Wire-connection --- the Jumper-Wire will guarantee connection - as You may have the original wire (in the pin) broken inside the insulation. You have set the permanent jumper - You plug-in, toggle-on - THEN do the "test with the Test-Light" again --- does the Test-Light lights up ?
IF "NO , Test-Light does not light up": Toggle-off, unplug the main power-cord. See my "grey drawing in the JPG" - Visually follow wire-in-the-pin-color-white from "transformer-lug" to "Coil You have used for testing 'does the Reset-Coil fire' " --- When You are 100% sure "I (means You) can visually follow from transformer-lug to Reset-Coil-side-wire-white is soldered-on": You can establish an permanent Jumper-Wire-connection --- the Jumper-Wire will guarantee connection - as You may have the original wire (in the pin) broken inside the insulation. By now You have set the TWO permanent jumpers - You plug-in, toggle-on - THEN do the "test with the Test-Light" again --- does the Test-Light lights up ?

If still "No luck": We are in serious trouble.

I feel uncomfortable - doing "long distance diagnosing - testing 'LINE CURRENT' " --- please wear rubber gloves - may ask a friend to be ready to immediately toggle-off the pin.

Here in Switzerland it is 25 minutes before midnight - I go to sleep, till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

0Surfer-pinside-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Surfer-pinside-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

Hi pfried
We look at the picture in post-17 - text "this one" --- wire of color-red. You say "on the main power switch on one side of the switch is soldered-on wire of identical-color-red": Yes - You then can proceed.

Side note: IF (if, if) Your wall-outlet (110VAC) is secured by an fuse of 5 or 7 or 10 (or maybe 15) Ampere --- and IF You exercise care - You keep hands off - You only hold on the insulation of an Jumper-Wire: Worst case: The fuse securing the wall-outlet may blow.

Shall I write or shall I not write --- do I confuse You or do I not ? Well, I do write - see the JPG here - I want to check "my brown connecting wire showed in the left bottom corner in the JPG" --- You may want to test this way: Shown here in the JPG - the point to tip-on Your Jumper-Wire hooked-on at "fuse for Bank-Reset-Coil": The point to tip-on is "AT THE TRANSFORMER" --- I expect the Bank-Reset-Coil fires and so proves "my brown connecting wire" is good. If the Bank-Reset-Coil does not fire: "My brown connecting wire" is no good. Worst case: A fuse may blow. (((As You guarantee to hold the Jumper-Wire on its insulation))) Greetings Rolf

P.S. - IF You do "testing as mentioned in post-15": Yes I did mean to repeat the test with the Test-Light on the 24VAC side. (A goal of us is "we want to have 110VAC feeded to the primary side of the transformer" --- another goal is "we want to grab 24VAC on the secondary side of the transformer".)

0Surfer-pinside-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Surfer-pinside-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

Hi Paul
thanks - You did AAA "I performed the first part of your test. I jumpered the red wire on the on/off switch to the red wire terminal (marked "this one "on the picture), then I plugged in and turned the power on: nothing blew." You also did BBB "Then I connected the test light (already connected to the s-relay) to the other end of the 15 amp fuse at the red/green wire and: no light."
Sad for us: "no light".
Look at the JPG here --- doing AAA You made an guaranteed connection "main power switch to transformer". See "my green wirings" --- see the "only not yet tested wiring" is the connecting wire "transformer to 'Bank-Reset-Coil-side-wire-white' ". Have the AAA-Jumper-wire permanent clipped-on - take another Jumper-Wire using it as "my orange drawing" shows - with this You make "guaranteed connection" on the last part of wiring on the 110VAC side. First do the "tip-on" - if no fuse blows: CLIP-on. Then do the 24VAC-Test-Light-Test again.

Your question in post-19 - 1) - first part: The Reset-Coil has two solder-lugs --- the "solder-lug connecting to the fuse" You have used earlyer - the other solder-lug has soldered-on "wire-of-color-in-thepin-white-as-well-wire-in-the-schematics-shown-white": I clue: YES.
Your question in post-19 - 1) - second part: Wire marked "A".
Your question in post-19 - 2): Yes I want You to keep the jumper connected. (((We use Jumper-Wires to guarantee "connection" when we see in the schematics a connection "not having switches" --- the wire in the pin may have an breakage inside the insulation - we can not see - we set a permanet jumper to guarantee connection))) Greetings Rolf

0Surfer-pinside-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Surfer-pinside-Work-04 (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago

Hi Paul
when in a pin a relay or other stuff should actuate - but it does not actuate: Somewhere is a "complete breakage" or an "partially to almost complete breakage" so when You (accidentally / by chance) move stuff at this place - You can make "connection" - the big question by now is: Can You reproduce the "partial success" ? Greetings Rolf

#24 6 years ago

Hi Paul
great - You can reproduce the "partial success" - so reproduce it - You get the 6VAC (lights light up) and You get 24VAC --- the motor runs and runs and runs. The motor endlessly running is an fault - but it is a fault I much more like than an dubious, dangerous fault on 110VAC. See here the JPG - the symbol of the motor is on the left --- towards right are all switches that make the motor to run --- "outmost-right, the 'Motor-1-C' is an switch on the motor" --- all other switches are on a relay. Look in the schematics - list of relays - look in the pin - DOES*** one or more of these relays PULL*** while the motor is (faulty) running ?

DOES*** PULL***: It would be nice when You find the "faulty pulling" relay --- frustrating for us - it can happen and does sometimes happen: Relay(s) are not pulling - just an switch on one of these relays happens to be misadjusted - making connection - connection when relay is not pulling - but faulty connection to make the motor to run ...
BUT the first thing to look for - easy to see: DOES a relay of this list of relays faulty PULL ? Greetings Rolf

0Surfer-pinside-Work-05 (resized).jpg0Surfer-pinside-Work-05 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

Hi Paul
I do not see "pins in Your collection" - You only wrote in post-1 about buying this one pin --- Yes, some pins do hum a bit or maybe a bit more - usually on the inside of the coin-door - the so-called "Coin Lockout Coil" often hums (((I would like this goodie be called "Stop Coin-Lockout Coil" as this is how it functions))) - please write about "humming".

Toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - Locate the R-Hold-Relay (most likely down in the cabinet) - locate the H-Tilt-Hold-Relay (...) - locate the S-Start-Relay (...) --- practice a bit - may wear rubber gloves - never touch solder-lugs --- practice: Press the armature on each of these relays and let go - do this several times on each relay --- as You have toggled-off the pin: By now, of course "when You let go on the armature: armature goes back / returns".

Then plug-in, toggle-on - NOW (exercise care): Press the armature on the R-Hold-Relay and let go - question: Does the R-Relay stays pulling ?
Then press the armature on the H-Tilt-Hold-Relay and let go - question: Does the H-Relay stays pulling ?
Then press the armature on the S-Start-Relay and let go - question: What happens ? does the pin starts a new game - resetting the Score-Drums ?

"Press and let go on an armature" is: We simulate "Coil gets power - and pulls". Greetings Rolf

#27 6 years ago

Hi Paul
I stumbled over https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-power-cord-hot-to-transformer-neutral-to-fuse-or-vice-versa#post-4210375 - an nice picture of the area Transformer and wire-white and returning line on the main power cord. Compare with "Your picture in Your post-19 (here)". Greetings Rolf

#29 6 years ago

Hi Paul
I prefer the words "a relay stays pulling" (((as the Self-Hold-Circuitry is functioning))) --- to me "stick" is rather "at some time another switch in the Self-Hold-Circuitry on this relay opens so the relay should 'let go' --- but it faulty does not let go - it faulty sticks.

When we press the armature on a relay: We imitate "coil gets Initial-Current - coil pulls - moves armature and moves the switches - one of the moved switches is the Self-Hold-Switch - it closes -Self-Hold-Current can flow - coil pulls and pulls and pulls ... the relay stays pulling.

Good - the H-Relay stays pulling when You manually activate it --- how about the R-Relay ?

I am not happy with the solution Gottlieb made on the late EM-Pins like "Surfer" - for long periods of time the Q-Game-Over-Relay (is entitled to) stay(s) pulling.
We toggle-on the pin and the Q-Relay MUST pull-in and stay pulling. When we start a new game (You manually press the armature of S-Start-Relay: Stuff should happen --- what is Your "not much else" ? See the JPG in post-24 --- a switch on the S-Relay closing (as You press the armature): Switch closing makes the motor to run --- what is Your motor doing ?

Grumble - I forgot about the U-First-Ball-Relay --- the pin is toggled-off so the U-Relay (of course) is not pulling --- You then toggle-on the pin: U-Relay AND Q-Relay MUST pull-in and stay pulling --- in Your pin ?

Do the following and write about the reactions: You toggle-on the pin --- U-Relay and Q-Relay must pull-in and stay pulling - if they do not: Help with manually pressing the armatures - do they now stay pulling ? Then manually activate the R-Relay and the H-Relay - do they stay pulling ? If they do not: Help manually ... Then manually activate the S-Relay - it should pull-in and make the motor to run - S-Relay shall stay pulling for a while - AX-Relay should actuate. Greetings Rolf

#31 6 years ago

Hi Paul
at the arcade-rooms times operators wanted to "punish" players beeing rude to the pins - Gottlieb made the H-Tilt-Hold-Relay --- a player shakes the pin (too much) - he is punished with an minor tilt - he looses "Ball in play" (((the T-Tilt-Relay pulls-in and so opens the Self-Hold-Switch on H-Relay so the "beeing steady pulling H-Relay looses current and let go))).
And when a player bangs the pin heavy: An weighted switch (Anti-Cheat-Switch / Slam-Tilt-Switch) opens - cuts Self-Hold-Circuitry on R-Relay - R-Relay let go and so closes a switch --- result is: Q-Game-Over-Relay pulls in --- THIS player get punished by loosing all the remaining balls of the play - he gets "Game-Over".

Once the R-Relay is activated: It must stay pulling, pulling, pulling - forever.
When the Motor runs and the S-Relay is pulling: DOES the AX-Relay actuate ? Greetings Rolf

#35 6 years ago

Hi Paul
this is a good site http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/ then http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair
this is a good site http://www.pinrepair.com/ then http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm and here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo is a very helpful video about the AX-Relay. Time 1:27 to 1:42 Clay (?) manually activates and de-activates the AX-Relay (back and forth) --- at time 2:23 to 2:47 he starts a game. Later on in the video he shows how to adjust the AX-Relay. See (time 2:23 to 2:47) how the AX-Relay (AX-Coil pulls-in) moves at starting --- after a while when the resetting of Score-Drums and other stuff has been done: AX-Relay (AXR-, AX-RESET Coil pulls-in) moves back, resets.
Paul - in an former post You wrote +/- "cannot manually move the Ax-Relay back and forth". To proceed in troubleshooting Your pin for starting a new game: We NEED the following: You manually move it - the armature stays in this position --- You manually move other direction - the armature stays in "this other, moved back" position --- just like Clay is showing it )1:27 to 1:42) in the video. Of course I hope that when we let current flow to the coils: Relay actuates "on its own" - we can accept for a whilethe: AX-Relay stays stable in a position when manually moved. Please write about the AX-Relay.

In my PDF I show the Gottlieb-Player-Unit - it actually is "Players-and-Balls stepping Unit" - You stand behind the backbox and look towards the player - during start-up and during play the bakelite disk is (at times) stepped clockwise. Look in the PDF and in Your pin "along the axis towards the player" - the last cam is black and has ONLY ONE tooth. When You move the plunger on the player-unit and let go: You do a step on the unit --- and another one - and another one --- You do 30 to 32 steps and You have made an revolution of the bakelite disk. Do step on the unit - step and step - watch the black cam --- in one position the "one and only tooth on the black cam": LIFTS the switchblades --- THIS is the so-called Home-Position also called Zero-Position also is the position for "pin is ready so Player-1 can play Ball-1". When You have reached this Home-Position: Do about ten steps more and the Player-Unit is in a position "OK, good, helpful for to start a new game". There is more to the PDF - please write about "can step the Player-Unit - can reach Home-Position". Greetings Rolf

0Surfer-Work-06.pdf0Surfer-Work-06.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surfer-no-power-no-lights?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.