2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

surfers (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GoldenOreos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

So I'll start off by saying i do not know much about EMs other than replacing basic playfield stuff, i work on 80's and up with no issues but EMs just always seemed like a lot to dive in to. We just got a Surfer in at work. When i power the machine on all i get is lights. Found a broken solder tab on the "AX Reset Control Relay", when i attach that back the game goes in to an endless cycle where the motor on the bottom left just spins and the stepper in the backbox does the same. the AX relay just stays on, and the Start relay keeps firing. If i dis engage AX it will kick a ball out and coils will work, but as soon as the ball hits any top inlane, it goes back into that cycle again. I honestly have no idea where to start on this or what tp even look at so anything would be helpful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cAVU0Phisaw-1z779LsyQ890AH2hOYmQ/view?usp=sharing

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from AZKenny:

Sounds like you have a stuck switch, either on the coin door, or credit button. After checking that, make sure your solder joint is secure on AX. A common problem with EMs is the motor continuing to cycle. A switch on each of the scoring reels that closes the circuit at the end of the reset cycle is a common culprit. Even if all the reels are back to zero, the switch may be out of adjustment. Hope that helps. AZKenny

I know the coin switches and start button are good bc I checked those when I seen the start relay going off. I guess I'll look at the score reels and see if I can find the issue there.

#6 2 years ago

I know if i add points manually to reels it will zero them out but the motor etc still does what it does in video I linked above. I wont get to look at it again until Tues. I'm guessing the reels r the culprit but probably not the whole issue who knows

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

kenny's reply seems to be the only possibility unless you have a short.
[quoted image]
if the S relay is powering, then the replay button switch or a coin chute switch would have to be closed.
if the V relay isn't doing anything, then that narrows it down to the coin chute switches or maybe a problem with the coin chute adjust plug.
when the AX relay trips (coil with the WH-OR wire on it powers), the start relay circuit is disconnected. The AX relay will reset as soon as the score motor runs again tho.
if your coin door has a plug, you could try pulling that out and seeing what happens.

I'll try that tuesday and see what happens, thanks for an ou there possible solution.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GoldenOreos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surfer-help-needed?tu=GoldenOreos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.