Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
surf champ schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 2 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Surfer that has worked great for about a year.

However, recently it has started to advance the ball counter a random number of times when the ball drains during a game. Sometimes it advances for one or two additional balls, sometimes it keeps advance past the 5th ball and stops in some limbo position that is between the 5th ball and the 1st ball. Sometimes it works just fine and it advances the ball counter just one position and I am able to play a normal game, however this has become uncommon and normally I am not able to get through a five ball game without this error happening at least once.

Once it is done advancing the ball counter I can play whatever ball it has stopped on, scoring works fine. The issue is when the ball drains and it is resetting for the next ball.

The game always starts correctly, with the ball counter at ball 1. This error happens if the game is in one or two player mode.

The ball counter for this game is not a type I am familiar with, it does NOT go forward and reverse to reset, instead it just keeps advancing around in one direction.

I don't understand how this system works. It appears that whatever is supposed to sense the ball counter has advanced is not registering.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

just in case you don't have it

surf champ schematic.pdfsurf champ schematic.pdf
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

recently it has started to advance the ball counter a random number of times when the ball drains during a game

Most likely this Motor 2C switch or the P1C switch on the player unit is gapped too close.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 2 years ago

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions. I will check out those switches tonight.

Can someone please explain to me the ball counter for this game. It only has one coil on it that advances things one step each time it is energized. As I manually advance it with a game started I see Player one, ball one, I step it again and it goes to some intermediate position, another step Player 2 ball 1, stepped again to player 1 ball 2, stepped again to some intermediate step, another step to player 2 ball 2, etc.

Is there a feed back loop from the ball counter that tells the game it has advanced/in the correct position or is this just energized the correct number of times and hopefully it ends up in the correct position?

Thanks again for the help.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

As I manually advance it with a game started I see Player one, ball one, I step it again and it goes to some intermediate position, another step Player 2 ball 1, stepped again to player 1 ball 2, stepped again to some intermediate step, another step to player 2 ball 2, etc.

The Player unit should advance from player 1 ball 1 to player 2 ball 1 in a single step. Since Surfer is a 2 player game, after that there are intermediate positions for ball 1's player 3 and 4 which it steps over using switches P1C and P2A in the schematic I posted.

#6 2 years ago

Got it. My memory was wrong on when the intermediate steps occurred. I did not realize that the ball counter (player Unit) was the same (or at least similar) for the 2 and 4 player game, .

#7 2 years ago

So it seems to be working well again.

HowardR: Thank you for the suggestions and the highlighted schematic. It was a big help. The two contacts you suggested appeared properly well gaped and I did not adjust them. However, your pointing out what makes the Player Unit move reminded me where to go looking. I did what I often do when my EMs are not working, I go around and clean all the contacts that appear involved with the problem circuit (pulling through a business card a few times with the contact pinched closed is my preferred method).

Thanks again for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surfer-ball-counter-advances-multiple-times-at-ball-drain?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.