Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Loose Score Reel Wire (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Loose Score Reel Wire (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi all,

My '76 Gottlieb Surfer does not award a free replay on points to the 2nd player. It will award a free player to the second player on match only. I've checked the score reels and I don't see any loose wires on player 2. Player 2 score reels add points correctly with no issues at all. There IS a loose wire on player 1, but on the 100s reel (see photo). Player 1 awards free replays on points and match fine. Not sure if related?

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Loose Score Reel Wire (resized).jpgLoose Score Reel Wire (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires. I've drawn the circuit to award a replay at 23,000.
Since the problem only happens on 2nd player, the fault is almost certainly between the red arrows, possibly even in one of the Player Unit switches that the red arrows point at.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

Very nice guidance/schematic markup, Howard!

#4 5 years ago

Just to clarify your definition of loose wire. It is very possible that the common wire on your player two score real that controls the high score settings could also be loose and still be soldered. I have seen this many times. Make sure that wire is firmly soldered to the connection and check continuity with a meter. Otherwise tracing down the circuit as mentioned above would be the next thing to check.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks very much HowardR and stashyboy for the great help! I'll check it out and hopefully can find this!

In regards to the photo I provided, can you advise what this wire/connector is used for? I've drawn arrows where I believe it was connected. As mentioned, it's on my player 1 hundreds score reel.

Loose Score Reel Wire (resized).jpgLoose Score Reel Wire (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surfer-2nd-player-no-free-replay-on-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.