View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
E18D053A-7CBA-40FF-957E-CD46145B06F5 (resized).jpeg
Surf Champ wires (resized).jpg
IMG_20200720_222020910 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200720_222012257 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all,

I don't think I've posted this here before....but I've got a Surf Champ with two wires disconnected in the head and I'm struggling to tell where they go. If anyone can identify it from this picture please let me know.

Thanks!

IMG_20200720_222012257 (resized).jpgIMG_20200720_222012257 (resized).jpgIMG_20200720_222020910 (resized).jpgIMG_20200720_222020910 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

It does help if you give some hints ...

#3 3 years ago

Oh....sorry..... directly to the right of the top score reel in the head...if I am facing the back of the game with the back door removed.

That would be helpful information

Quoted from currieddog:

It does help if you give some hints ...

#4 3 years ago

It's hard to tell from your photos but one wire looks like yellow mottled with blue (Yel+Blu not Yel-Blu which would be yellow with a blue tracer). The other wire could be white, slate, red, orange or brown mottled together. Can you follow the wires into the bundle and verify the colors?

Here are some possibilities from the schematic.
Surf Champ wires (resized).jpgSurf Champ wires (resized).jpg
Although the game wouldn't work if the wires in the bottom example were dangling unless some other changes were made elsewhere.

/Mark

#5 3 years ago

Hmm...ok. that may actually help. The game plays fine as a one player game...so much so that I never noticed the wires loose until I went and cleaned up the coin unit it the cabinet. (Was basically stuck on one player and would never move...was fine at home...one I moved it to the pinball club less so)

Quoted from MarkG:

It's hard to tell from your photos but one wire looks like yellow mottled with blue (Yel+Blu not Yel-Blu which would be yellow with a blue tracer). The other wire could be white, slate, red, orange or brown mottled together. Can you follow the wires into the bundle and verify the colors?
Here are some possibilities from the schematic.
[quoted image]
Although the game wouldn't work if the wires in the bottom example were dangling unless some other change were made elsewhere.
/Mark

#6 3 years ago

Those go to the slam tilt in the backbox which appears to be missing in your game. People will often remove these while trying to figure out why a game is stuck in tilt and won't start.

#7 3 years ago

Happen to have a picture of where that is in the backbox? (On a correctly wired surf champ)

Quoted from jahbarron:

Those go to the slam tilt in the backbox which appears to be missing in your game. People will often remove these while trying to figure out why a game is stuck in tilt and won't start.

#8 3 years ago

If the slam tilt was physically removed...wouldn't the game not start? (Gottlieb games were normally closed if I remember correctly?)

Quoted from jahbarron:

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

If the slam tilt was physically removed...wouldn't the game not start?

Quoted from MarkG:

Although the game wouldn't work if the wires in the bottom example were dangling unless some other changes were made elsewhere.

If the dangling wires were connected to the slam tilt or "Lightbox Anticheat Switch" in the schematic above you should be able to find the other ends of the danging wires with a meter on the R relay coil lug and lock in switch. If they are connected to the R/Hold relay and the relay works anyway someone must have altered something else to get the R relay to fire.

#10 3 years ago

Here’s a pic of mine. Not sure why Pinside always flips photos.

E18D053A-7CBA-40FF-957E-CD46145B06F5 (resized).jpegE18D053A-7CBA-40FF-957E-CD46145B06F5 (resized).jpeg

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Not sure why Pinside always flips photos

When you paste an image but haven't sent your post yet, hovering over the image will make 3 blue buttons appear.
The middle blue button rotates your image.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

When you paste an image but haven't sent your post yet, hovering over the image will make 3 blue buttons appear.
The middle blue button rotates your image.[quoted image]

on my iPhone, that just enlarged the image no matter what button I hit

#13 3 years ago

Well....that definitely visually makes sense now . Will likely be a little bit before I can get to it....the pinball club along with a good chunk of the surrounding area is currently without power thanks to the remnants of the tropical storm tearing down trees in the area.

Much appreciated!

#14 3 years ago

Able to declare this one resolved....simply connected the ends of the two wires together to essentially recreate the normally closed slam tilt....game came back to life. Must have been twisted together when I first got it as the game did play then. Still having a few issues...but those are all player four score reel related....so we can resolve this one

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-wiring?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.