• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mojonitro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

241817775_188252640084847_7076505315235884995_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flb_gulfstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm being tempted by a Gottlieb Surf Champ that is for sale in my general area. The condition is decent but the one thing I do not like about it is the fact it has the "New Electronic Solid State Sound" as stated on a sticker/banner on the machine. This is an EM machine and I would prefer that it had the chime unit.

Since some of these machines have chimes and others have a sound board, are there two different schematics that are dependent on the machine? The reason I ask is that if I were to buy this machine, I would want to convert the sound to a chime unit so would I need to purchase another schematic in order to wire in a chime unit?

I also did a quick search for Gottlieb chime units and those appear to be hard to find. There is a company in Europe that makes chime units for Bally, Gottlieb and Williams machines but those look to be pretty expensive.

Maybe taking into account the scarcity of the chime units and the possibility of having to get another schematic, I should just keep looking for another machine.

I'm looking for opinions so whatever you have to say, let me know.

Thanks.

#7 2 years ago

I don't have my machines confused. I was just stating what the ad said and what the photos showed. I have done some research and found that these electronic sound cards were added later to some EMs to try to lure kids back to the older EMs after SS machines started to show up. After realizing this, I now know there would only be one schematic for this game.

I will send a note to the seller to see if the chime box is still in place. If not, I will take this into account when making an offer (if I make an offer).

Below is a photo from the listing. The sticker is coming off but it is there. Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts.

241817775_188252640084847_7076505315235884995_n (resized).jpg241817775_188252640084847_7076505315235884995_n (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago

When I contacted the seller again to ask about the chime box, there was a sale pending on the machine. The seller did say there was no chime box in the machine so it must have been removed when the operator had the SS card installed.

At least I learned something out of this. If I ever see another EM with SS sound, I will ask the seller if the chime box is still intact.

Thanks to all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flb_gulfstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-solid-state-sound-conversion?tu=flb_gulfstream and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.