Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6821 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hey guys. New here and looking for some help. I've done several arcade repairs and mild restorations in the past, but have always wanted and finally purchased a pinball. I've done a lot of researching and have read through Clay's guides and watched several vids on em repairs. I'm not fully ready to start ripping into Surf Champ yet though. I've come across some recent threads here that seemed very similar and you guys were able to help others. Hopefully it's alright to piggyback off of those, since they are still fresh in other's minds. It's also nice to find others with the same machine in working condition and the ability to read schematics.

So, the issues... New to me a few weeks ago is Surf Champ. It's in remarkably good shape from what I can tell. It's been in a single family home it's whole life, never seen bar use, or tobacco smoke. Came with schematics and manuals. It's probably just sticky due to age and original grease. The game plays, but seems stuck in a game. It does not reset and is stuck in player one. It does count score and sounds and almost all rollover buttons, pop bumpers, etc work. It does not count balls though, and keeps kicking it back out, no game over. a few days ago, rollover #3 coil locked on and got quite hot. Rollover switch isn't stuck, but there's constant power to the coil. I desoldered it, to avoid it burning up to try to trouble shoot it on my own, but can't find what's stuck on. Coil resistance is the same as those next to it. I know that the stepper units will need to be cleaned, but am a bit reluctant to just tear in and go... I'm looking for advise and guidance through this, and will certainly help anyone else out with anything I can going forward. Thank you in advance.

#2 7 years ago

It's best to work on one problem at a time... So, you would start from the beginning - you power on the machine, you press the start button... and then what happens? The game just stays on ball 1 when you first power on the machine? If the start button does nothing, make sure credits on showing on the credit unit. For a coil that is energized constantly, you'd have to see what circuit is sending power to the coil. Check your schematic and find that coil. Then trace back to see what switches are in the circuit. There is probably a misadjusted switch in the circuit. Let us know what you find...

#3 7 years ago

So, I turn on the machine, and press the start button and the playfield lights and the score motor initiates and turns. AX relay clicks and ball kicks out and I'm able to "play" the game in a continuous loop. Multiple presses of the start button do change the player number at the upper left of the backbox, but credit wheel does not change. If I manually step down the credit unit to 0, the game won't play, but it doesn't reset itself to 0 when it's turned on. I just thought of something. There are no coin mechs in this machine, since it was never setup on a location. Pressing the start button, isn't like pressing a credit button or coining it up is it? The credit unit isn't advancing because credits aren't being put into it... Still, it doesn't play three or five balls, it plays continuously, there's no end of game or loss of credit or reset. Thank you for the response, like I said, these are new to me.

#4 7 years ago

So, you power on the machine, you press the start button, all the score reels and targets reset, and the ball kicks to the shooter lane. The game is ready to play and backglass shows you're on ball 1... It sounds like the player unit is not advancing after each ball. First check the trough switch under the ball return trough. This switch should have brown/black and brown/white wires attached to it. Make sure the contact points on the switch are clean and the switch blades are adjusted properly. When the ball rolls over the switch wire, the trough switch should quickly close and then open.

Also check the U relay, which alternates power to the AX relay coil and the Add Coin Unit. Try to operate the U relay manually with the power off to see if it's sticking. Inspect the switches on the AX relay to make sure they are adjusted properly.

And, check the coin switches on the bottom part of the coin door. Make sure they are not stuck in the closed position...

#5 7 years ago

I'm guessing dirty stepper(s), always my go to to start out.

#6 7 years ago

Trough switch is functioning properly, but After you pointing me down in the right direction, towards U relay, I found three burnt coils. Q game over, U first ball, and H tilt hold were bad. Once those are replaced, I'll report back. I checked everything else too. I guess those are very obvious oversights, but when you're not exactly sure what you're looking for, they can be easy to miss. I almost hate to admit it, but I also didn't plug in a jones plug in the backbox. Again, an obvious oversight, but the guy I bought it from unplugged them before transport and I didn't notice it when reassembling it. I'll be placing an order for coils, anything else I should order right away? Is there anything I need to be on the watch for since these coils burnt up to begin with? Don't want to try the replacements right away. Thank you again for the help.

IMG_6821 (resized).JPGIMG_6821 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

I'd inspect everything under the playfield, in the main cabinet and the backbox for any additional burnt coils and/or solenoids. You might want to also consider getting a fuse kit so you'll have fresh fuses in the machine...

#8 7 years ago

replace your 1st ball coil as well, these are always crispy...

#9 7 years ago

#1 - I would take steppers apart, degrease & clean.

#10 7 years ago

I have learned a lot from this guide. I recommend reading over it.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#11 7 years ago

Are the Q, U, and H relay coils all the same? The paper labels were burnt right off A-9738's? I don't have the schematics in front of me and would like to order replacements. Thank you for the help and tips guys.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ZRICE28:

Are the Q, U, and H relay coils all the same? The paper labels were burnt right off A-9738's? I don't have the schematics in front of me and would like to order replacements. Thank you for the help and tips guys.

H is a A-9738, the other 2 are A-9740

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.