Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by spookr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Surf Champ Q relay 2 (resized).jpg
    Surf Champ Q relay (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Still pretty much a novice, although fixed this machine once before with a lot of help from great people on this site. Well its back again and here is what it is doing. Toggle on, and game over Q relay activates as normal. I hit replay and AX activates, Q releases, S activates motor. R, U and V activates and goes through set up and AX closes then Q activates and no game can be played. This is the best I can say as all this happens so fast. I have checked all three of the circuits for game over and can find no problems. I have check bounce and anti cheat switches and checked all coils to make sure they work. At witts end, so need a little help. I will appreciate any help.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from spookr:

AX closes then Q activates and no game can be played.

It could be that the lock in switch (in the red box) on the Q relay is stuck closed or shorted.
    Surf Champ Q relay (resized).jpgSurf Champ Q relay (resized).jpg
    /Mark

#3 3 years ago

Watching this one I'm having the same issue on a Jet Spin.

#4 3 years ago

MarkG, Thanks for responding. Is the O switch on the Q relay or on the O relay? I can't seem to find the BL-WH-RED wire. When standing on the right side of the machine and looking at the Q relay is it on the right or left bank of switches and what position does it hold in the bank. Thanks

#5 3 years ago

I don't have the game so I don't know where the switch is. I'm working under the assumption that the switch circled above is on the Q relay. You'd have to check a better copy of the schematic to verify that it's labeled with a Q and not an O.

Typically the lock in switch on any relay is easily identified because one side of the switch is wired directly to one of the relay coil solder lugs with a short jumper wire. You should also be able to find the other wire on a Make/Break switch on the AX relay.

#6 3 years ago

I just read a tutorial on Gottlieb schematics and it said the switch name is for the switches on the same named relay. So the O switch should be on the O relay in the relay bank. I have checked the O switches on the O relay and also the Q switches on the Q relay and find no problems. I think the problem is that a relay should be holding open to keep the Q relay (game over) from activating, am I right?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from spookr:

I just read a tutorial on Gottlieb schematics and it said the switch name is for the switches on the same named relay.

Yes. The label on each switch on the schematic tells you what relay or other device the switch is mounted on.

Quoted from spookr:

I have checked the O switches on the O relay and also the Q switches on the Q relay and find no problems.

How are you checking switches? A visual inspection is unreliable. Unless you can verify that a switch opens and closes electrically when it should you can't really be sure it's working.

Unless there is an unrelated short in the game there are three circuits that can fire the Q/Game Over relay:
    Surf Champ Q relay 2 (resized).jpgSurf Champ Q relay 2 (resized).jpg
    Circuit 1 goes through the Score Motor 4C switch and four other switches. It's unlikely to be the problem since all five switches would need to close at the wrong time for the Q/Game Over relay to fire.
    Circuit 2 goes through an Make/Break switch on the R/Hold relay. That switch could be the problem.
    Circuit 3 is the one suggested earlier that goes through the lock in switch on the Q/Game Over relay and another switch on the AX relay. If the Q/Game Over relay fires as the AX relay relaxes this one is a likely candidate. I also checked the schematic for Surfer which is the 2 player version of this game. According to that schematic the switch in circuit 3 is on the Q relay, not the O relay. You should order a schematic and verify or trace the relevant wires by their colors.

To determine which of these three circuits is the culprit you could block one switch from each path with a piece of paper. With all three circuits blocked the Q relay should not fire. Then by removing the bits of paper one at a time the faulty circuit should reveal itself. You will need to be able to find one switch from each path in the game using the wire colors from the schematic above.

#8 3 years ago

Ok thanks. Will start that process and will report back on my findings. Thanks

#9 3 years ago

Is the R hold relay staying activated? I have tracked my game over relay issue to the hold relay not staying activated.

#10 3 years ago

TomT, No, the R relay does not stay locked in, although it does come on but releases. Also the BX relay does function during startup. I find no problems with the relays and I am in the process of checking their switches with ohm meter. Once that is done I will investigate the circuits again. If you have pinpointed the problem in your game please let me know what you found and i will see if that helps my game. Thanks

#11 3 years ago

As a test hold the R relay in and hit the start button if it completes the cycle with the game over relay release at least you can narrow it down.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from spookr:

the R relay does not stay locked in, although it does come on but releases.

There are just a few switches that have to work correctly to lock the R relay on.

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
    http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #13 3 years ago

HowardR, I have checked the last circuit completely and the R relay pulls in. R relay pulls in but does not stay pulled in in the start up, but stays pulled in long enough for the reels to reset Z1 and Z2, the bonus unit to reset, and the players unit to reset, the R closes and AX closes. After that Q relay pulls in and game over. I even tried to force R relay to stay open (I held it down with a chop stick), but game over activated. The only thing that I know for sure is the BX relay does not operate during start up and it should according to the start up sequence along with the AX relay. The start up on this machine is toggle on Q and U relays activate. I hit the Start button and AX pulls in. Q an U deactivates S R and V activates, then everything resets (Z1 and Z2, players unit and bonus unit) then AX releases and Q and U activates. I know that in the one circuit for the Q relay that originates from 1A motor the O, BX and O should activate before 4C motor activates and Q pulls in, I'm going to check motor 1A and 4C on the motor again but that is the only thing I can think of left to check.

#14 3 years ago

Found one problem, wire on 1A motor was shorted R relay now staying pulled in. Now it kicks the ball out but play field is dead except for lights.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from spookr:

play field is dead except for lights.

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
    http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #16 3 years ago

Thanks HowardR. It has a lot of issues but it plays.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-game-over?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.