(Topic ID: 321906)

Gottlieb Surf Champ - Eject hole not working

By KontactKleaner

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Surf Champ score motor (resized).JPG
    Surf Champ kickout relay (resized).JPG
    3D97220D-97E4-4C42-9008-FF478E8CF623 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Good evening! I’m in need of a bit of help with my Surf Champ.

This game sat for quite a few years and I’m in the process of resurrecting it and as of this weekend, I’ve solved most of the major issues to include score reels getting hung-up which was preventing the game from resetting and a handful of other issues.

The problem I’m currently troubleshooting has me stumped. The Eject Hole/Hole Kicker. I’ve cleaned the associated contacts at the switch located below the hole and inspected all wiring and switch contact gaps and everything looks good.

I have a schematic and have been attempting to trace the wiring from the coil and the switch. I see that the switch is associated with the “I” relay and, if I’m reading the schematic correctly, the good old AX relay.

What am I missing?

3D97220D-97E4-4C42-9008-FF478E8CF623 (resized).jpeg3D97220D-97E4-4C42-9008-FF478E8CF623 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

A bit of an update:

With the game fully reset and the ball in play, when it enters the eject hole, “I” actuates and stays pulled in. By sheer luck I found that if I depressed the far right, top rollover switch the hole kicker fires! I traced that YEL-BLK wire back to the score motor and switch 4C and then back to the BX relay.

#3 1 year ago

There are only 2 switches involved - a n/o switch on the I relay and a n/o Motor 4C switch that should close late in the score motor's cycle.

Surf Champ kickout relay (resized).JPGSurf Champ kickout relay (resized).JPG
    #4 1 year ago

I'm not sure I follow. So a ball in the eject hole fires the I relay, but doesn't start the Score Motor? If so I'd look at the Score Motor switch on the I relay, yelow-red to red-white wires, to see if its working.

/Mark

#5 1 year ago

So, is the score motor supposed to run when the ball enters the hole and actuates “I”?

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I'm not sure I follow. So a ball in the eject hole fires the I relay, but doesn't start the Score Motor? If so I'd look at the Score Motor switch on the I relay, yelow-red to red-white wires, to see if its working.
    /Mark

Will do, thanks Mark!

#7 1 year ago

On the schematic, any of these switches should start the score motor turning....a switch on the I relay is one of them:

Surf Champ score motor (resized).JPGSurf Champ score motor (resized).JPG
    #8 1 year ago
    Quoted from KontactKleaner:

So, is the score motor supposed to run when the ball enters the hole and actuates “I”?

Yep. Look at @paulace's schematic in reply #3. The Hole Kicker solenoid relies on a Score Motor switch that won't close unless the motor is turning.

#9 1 year ago

Got home from work and snuck down to the basement before the kids got home and cleaned the contacts on “I” and the eject hole kicker works perfectly. Thanks for the advice guys!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-eject-hole-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.