• Latest reply 1 year ago by paulace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Surf Champ pops (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I'm used to working on (and owning) Bally/Williams/Stern early solid state games so please bear with the question...

I have a Gottlieb 'Surf Champ' that appears to be working 100%, but I notice that when the ball activates one pop bumper via going into its skirt the other pop bumper fires as well. I'm used to working on "chatty" pop bumpers and fixing the problem by adjusting the switches of the peer pop bumpers if the contacts are too close. All the pop bumper related switches on this game seem to be gapped fine though.

Is this just normal behavior for this era of Gottlieb EM games? Online videos of 'Surf Champ' seem to exhibit the same behavior (or all have the same issue to fix).

(yes, I need a schematic, but just figured I'd fire this question out there).

TIA

#2 1 year ago

Don't own or know Surf Champ in particular, but pops firing in tandem on Gottliebs is pretty common.

**** I can't stress enough how much I likely just jinxed you and that Surf Champ is an exception and you have an issue to track down.

Edit - OK, jinx free. Reading between the lines in this thread makes me believe it's just a single relay for both pops.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-pop-bumper-coil-locks-on-during-start-up

#3 1 year ago

As previously stated, this is normal for some/most Gottlieb's. Look at the schematic and you will see they are simultaneously activated.

#4 1 year ago

Great - thanks folks

#5 1 year ago

Yeah, either pop switch actives the B relay, which fires both pops.

Surf Champ pops (resized).jpgSurf Champ pops (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-chatty-pop-bumper-action?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.