Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Seedy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

New to pinball repair. Have surf champ that when started score motor ran continuously. finally figured out stepper in head needed to be manually moved to a start position. now when I test it will play and score but will not advance ball count. The machine will accept multiple players and I did manually step the stepper in head and machine did operate i.e. step thru players and ball count. Seems like I am close but can't figure out last little bit. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

The stepper units get gummed-up and need thorough cleaning http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

#3 4 years ago

Does the solenoid you activate manually to get the stepper to advance even try to activate on its own? If not you may need to debug the "Add Player Unit" solenoid circuit.

/Mark

2 weeks later
#4 4 years ago

Thanks for your replies. Am trying suggestions now that have recovered from the "holiday spirits" so to speak. While trying to clean steppers and checking add player I realized didn't give a good description of problem so here it is. When machine turned on I can add players and machine resets correctly. Can play the first ball and everything works ok i.e. scores correctly. When ball goes out of play (outhole?) three things don't happen 1. targets don't reset 2. ball number doesn't advance and 3. doesn't go to next player. (with single player machine stays on ball 1). Like I said in origin post can manually activate stepper in head and that will step thru ball in play and all 4 players ok. Hope this is better description.

#5 4 years ago

if you need any surf champ parts hit me up, I have a ton

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Seedy:

Thanks for your replies. Am trying suggestions now that have recovered from the "holiday spirits" so to speak. While trying to clean steppers and checking add player I realized didn't give a good description of problem so here it is. When machine turned on I can add players and machine resets correctly. Can play the first ball and everything works ok i.e. scores correctly. When ball goes out of play (outhole?) three things don't happen 1. targets don't reset 2. ball number doesn't advance and 3. doesn't go to next player. (with single player machine stays on ball 1). Like I said in origin post can manually activate stepper in head and that will step thru ball in play and all 4 players ok. Hope this is better description.

Sounds like the 1st ball relay is NOT engaging, normally engages at the first scoring. wont advance to next ball until it engages. The 1st ball relay can get pretty toasty, usually needs replacing

1 week later
#7 4 years ago

Thanks for all the help. Turns out problem was mostly add player unit. Machine is playing all 4 players and ball in play # advances. Again thanks for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-almost-working?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.