Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
7F52A14F-59F1-4840-96A3-0766BFC1C28E (resized).jpeg
064BBC1D-EB9E-42B7-9263-7293885AFAE8 (resized).jpeg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hi All, First time post so apologies if it’s just n the wrong place....!

About a year ago I purchased a Gottlieb Surf Champ machine. All has been fab and the whole family have had hours of fun playing, it’s a very original machine and one new to pinball but have some experience with 50s/60s jukeboxes.

A small problem has occurred about two weeks ago, when you reset for a new game it goes right through the process perfectly but just dosnt throw the ball out at the end, if I manually flick the ball out it plays normally but when you loose the ball it again dosnt flick it back out....!

Is this something straight forward, for some reason the sollinoid attaches to the ball return dosnt become energised when a ball lands in the cradle

Just wondered if any of you lovely folk could point me in the right direction.

Any advice greatfully received and here’s hopeing it’s fixable as the grandkids will be disappointed over the holiday.

Cheers all

Richie

#2 5 years ago

Check the switch in that ‘outhole’ when the ball is in it and make sure it is closing, if so but still not firing try cleaning the points on the switch with a very fine file or a clean piece of paper.

#3 5 years ago

Hi Richie, Welcome to pinside!

If the Ball Return (O) relay activates but the Ball Return solenoid doesn't, inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#4 5 years ago

Thanks for the prompt reply’s, the contacts on the switch Under the ball trough are closing fine I have cleaned them and still no power to the kicker solenoid....!
Where is the return relay located, I can hear that a relay is charged just can’t quite locate it...!
Thanks again

#5 5 years ago

Third from bottom right.

064BBC1D-EB9E-42B7-9263-7293885AFAE8 (resized).jpeg064BBC1D-EB9E-42B7-9263-7293885AFAE8 (resized).jpeg7F52A14F-59F1-4840-96A3-0766BFC1C28E (resized).jpeg7F52A14F-59F1-4840-96A3-0766BFC1C28E (resized).jpeg
#6 5 years ago

Brilliant thank you how did I not see that I will take a look first thing tomorrow

#7 5 years ago

Hi All
So after some investigation it seems there is no power going to the kicker switch at all consequently not firing the kicker solenoid.
The ball return relay also dosnt seem to energise.
Any ideas from here, as I said im new to this pinball lark, this is my first machine so not up to speed with schematics just yet.
Always enjoy learning though.
Thanks in advance
Richie

#8 5 years ago

You'll need to look at the switches that provide power to the ball return solenoid. Looking at the portion of the schematic HowardR posted, examine the following switches:

O relay switch - brown/red wire and orange/red wire (normally open [NO])
BX relay switch - orange/red wire and yellow/black wire (normally closed [NC])
Score motor switch 4C - yellow/black wire (normally open [NO])

Make sure theses switches are clean and adjusted properly.

If these switches look good, then you'll need to see if the NO switches in the circuit are closing when the ball enters the outhole. Is the O relay being energized when the ball is in the outhole?

#9 5 years ago

Thanks fredsmythson, I dont think the O relay is being energised after reset when there is a ball in the outhole, would it be constantly energised until the kicker released.

I will check the other switches are they all on the back of the O relay.

Thanks

Rich

#10 5 years ago

If the Bonus Score (K) relay doesn't activate when the ball drains, inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-1?hl=cdemuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.