Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Sonora70
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've been working on the Sure Shot trying to get it operational. Was a disaster when I got it, lots of mangled switches. Finally got it to reset and light up, however it stays in Tilt......dead playfield. I have visited and revisited the AX relay, the tilt hold relay, checked fuses, check all tilt switches. When resetting the tilt light momentarily goes out then comes back on during the reset. Should the H (tilt hold relay) stay energized? During the reset the H relay pulls then releases. When it pulls the tilt light goes out then comes back on when it releases. This is my first wedgehead I'm working on.....nothing to compare it to at this point. I do have a schematic. Thanks

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

During the reset the H relay pulls then releases.

should stay pulled in..so maybe dirty/misadjusted switches on the Hold relay...place to start at least

#3 8 years ago

You'll need to find the tilt relay coil on your schematic and then work your way back to the transformer to see how the circuit energizes the tilt relay coil. Also, check the slam switches on the coin door and bottom of the cabinet. Make sure these switches are adjusted properly...

#4 8 years ago

Checked the hold relay.....cleaned and all switches appear to be correct. Tried to follow the schematic back to the transformer, switches from R and O are in the path. Cleaned and check switches.....appear to be correct.
When I reset the game it stays in tilt with the game over light on. I also tried starting with the tilt and game over light to see what activated them....still no luck. Neither the tilt hold relay (H) nor the hold relay are staying energized. I assume they should be?

#5 8 years ago

If the tilt light is on, but the tilt hold relay is not energized, then there might be a problem with a contact blade adjustment. I'm not sure if the tilt hold relay will tilt the game when it's energized or when it's not energized... Look at the lighting side/illumination side of the schematic. Find the tilt light on the schematic and follow that circuit to see what switches will turn on the tilt light. You'll need to see what switches and/or relay controls the tilt light and then see if all the contacts are clean and the blades are adjusted properly...

#6 8 years ago

The Tilt light comes on with the Tilt Hold relay is not energized. From memory......I've given up for the evening, a switch on the Tilt Hold relay (H) is in the path. In fact, I can turn the tilt light off and on by moving the make break switch on the Tilt Hold relay. So.....for some reason the Tilt Hold relay is not staying energized on start up. I watch it as the machine is resetting and it (H relay)will move but does not stay energized. That's when the Tilt light goes out but then quickly comes back on when the H relay releases.

#7 8 years ago

First make sure all the contacts are clean and the blades are adjusted properly on the tilt hold relay. If the tilt light goes off when the tilt hold relay is energized, then you need to see what switches control power to the tilt hold relay. Find the tilt hold relay coil on the schematic and see what switches will send power to the relay coil. Trace the circuit from the tilt hold relay coil all the way to the transformer... It might be that a switch in that circuit is dirty or is not closing properly...

#8 8 years ago

Progress, for curiosity's sake I put a jumper on the backbox tilt switch just to ensure it was making good contact and it reset and the tilt light went out. The playfield became active and plays. For some reason the game over light is remaining lit during the game and some other "issues" that will need to be addressed. However, the main issue is resolved. It's odd because I purposely cleaned and made sure that tilt switch was making good contact. The location of the switch however makes it tough to actually see the switch.

My next step is determining what is making the game over light remain lit.........

#9 8 years ago

Same procedure as before - look at the illumination side of the schematic. Find the game over light on the schematic and see what switches send power to the game over light. Probably a set of contacts is mis-adjusted on the game over relay...

#10 8 years ago

Check the make/break switch on the R relay and see that one side actually opens when it's activated. Otherwise a path to the Game Over light is probably still active.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Check the make/break switch on the R relay and see that one side actually opens when it's activated. Otherwise a path to the Game Over light is probably still active.

Thanks...the make/break on R was the quick fix. Now off to the next issue. I have to wonder how pinballs get in the condition this one was in. So many switches out of adjustment, some by as much as a 1/4" on the scoring motor. At this point a couple of stepper units need to be cleaned up and some lighting issues on player number etc, hoping some of these issues get taken care of with the stepper units.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

Thanks...the make/break on R was the quick fix. Now off to the next issue. I have to wonder how pinballs get in the condition this one was in. So many switches out of adjustment, some by as much as a 1/4" on the scoring motor. At this point a couple of stepper units need to be cleaned up and some lighting issues on player number etc, hoping some of these issues get taken care of with the stepper units.

correction, ball number not player number.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sure-shot-stays-in-tilt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.