(Topic ID: 124916)

Gottlieb Sure Shot - Flying Carpet - Which Has Best Gameplay/Ruleset?

By EM-PINMAN

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“So which one is it? Sure Shot or Flying Carpet?”

• Flying Carpet 7 votes
    24%
  • Sure Shot 5 votes
    17%
  • I like both equally 1 vote
    3%
  • Sorry, I have not played both so I cannot rate them 7 votes
    24%
  • I do not like either of them so quit bugging me 0 votes
  • I have tried to make a decision, but zombies broke into my house last night and ate part of my brain 3 votes
    10%
  • Now that I am a zombie I have decided to eat anyone who is close enough to me playing either of these machines 2 votes
    7%
  • I have been attacked by zombies and decided it is not safe to stick around to evaluate these machines and have fled the city 3 votes
    10%
  • I think this topic has gone off the subject matter, but I will contact the CDC just in case there is any truth to the prior statements 1 vote
    3%

(Multiple choice - 29 votes by 22 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Garage Arcade 5-9-15.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Gottlieb 1976 Sure Shot - 1972 Flying Carpet - Which one has the Best Gameplay/Ruleset, and is just all around more fun? Never mind the Colors/Artwork as I like them all.

What do you think?

Also Please Rate what you would pick in order on the poll:

You may make multiple choices by the way.

Thanks and have fun!

Ken

#2 4 years ago

Flying Carpet is fun, but is actually quite a simple rule set. Get all the letters and hit the specials. Sure Shot has kick out holes that increase in value as you collect the numbers. Also a bit of skill shot to collect numbers/special up top. I prefer the art package on FC, but given Ken's criteria, Sure Shot wins on rule set/gameplay,

#3 4 years ago

Sure Shot

#4 4 years ago

Flying carpet is ho-hum. It's not bad, but it's not great. Sure Shot, on the other hand, is great fun. One of the best non-drop target wedges ever. Can't go wrong with a sure shot, especially if it's got snappy flippers and some high tap happening.

#5 4 years ago

I'll take Flying Carpet! All of its targets are duplicated, not contingent on hitting the 1-ball rollover at the top for special as seen on Sure Shot. Without that you have a points-only game. FC doesn't get any love because of its 4 outlanes and dead slings, but it is loaded with shots. The best shot is bouncing the ball off the upper Y and R rollover guides ricocheting into pop-bumper land, which I felt always yielded more activity than the more open pop-bumper config on Sure Shot. Getting special lit on FC is a knocker fest if you can keep the ball in play.

I like the long kick-out hole shots on SS, but the bottom half of the game is no more than a re-run of several games from the past, (Bank-a-Ball, Spin a Card, etc). I can't get past the #1 rollover at the top either, the only ball NOT duplicated elsewhere on the playfield. it's like a half-ass attempt by Gtb. to make the game a little harder to win.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

I'll take Flying Carpet! All of its targets are duplicated, not contingent on hitting the 1-ball rollover at the top for special as seen on Sure Shot. Without that you have a points-only game. FC doesn't get any love because of its 4 outlanes and dead slings, but it is loaded with shots. The best shot is bouncing the ball off the upper Y and R rollover guides ricocheting into pop-bumper land, which I felt always yielded more activity than the more open pop-bumper config on Sure Shot. Getting special lit on FC is a knocker fest if you can keep the ball in play.
I like the long kick-out hole shots on SS, but the bottom half of the game is no more than a re-run of several games from the past, (Bank-a-Ball, Spin a Card, etc). I can't get past the #1 rollover at the top either, the only ball NOT duplicated elsewhere on the playfield. it's like a half-ass attempt by Gtb. to make the game a little harder to win.

Boatcat I could not of said it any better.
I have spent a lot of time on both and I don't think it is even close. flying carpet WINS hands down

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

Boatcat - I agree with you. I also could not have said it better. Nothing better on Flying Carpet than entering the "boomerang" for a stand-up target fest.

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

Well it looks like a tie, so I will attempt to keep both of these pins indefinitely and hopefully find a spot for both of them in the new arcade.

I have not played Flying Carpet in years and currently do not even have mine in Texas. If for some reason I hate it, which I doubt, I will sell it and the issue with room will be solved instantly, but Hopefully I at least like both equally.

Sure Shot is currently setup at the house and I like it a lot, so Flying Carpet has a bit of a challenge as it is.

Thanks to all who participated in the poll and for your comments.

Ken

1 week later
#9 4 years ago

Well looks like after more measurements the configuration of the new arcade changes things once again, for the last time, hopefully.

Room for 6 Pins, 2 Arcade Games, and 1 CC Ball Bowler (13-14 foot) .

Looks like both my Gottlieb Sure Shot and Flying Carpet will be replaced by a Gottlieb Jack's Open down the road.

The final Gottlieb Wedgehead lineup: Big Hit, Atlantis, Sky Jump, King Pin, Abra Ca Dabra, Jack's Open

Final Arcade Standup Games which I already have: 1969 Williams Phantom Gun and a 1969 Midway Sea Raider Submarine Game

Ken

Garage Arcade 5-9-15.jpg
#10 4 years ago

Have you considered placing games back to back? (i.e., backbox to backbox, opposing).

Might be able to fit at least one more in that way.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Have you considered placing games back to back? (i.e., backbox to backbox, opposing).

Might be able to fit at least one more in that way.

Hey Dirt,

As you can see there is nice spacing in the layout which is key for me, cramped does not cut it. I always look at things on a "down the road basis" and I do not want to have to move things, crawl under, or squeeze in places to service the machines when I am an "old fart with broken parts", which I am half way there already.

I figure what I have in my lineup is very doable for servicing with this setup as my health/mobility fluctuates quite a bit even now. I have included a walkway on the backside of the 5 pins and Ball Bowler which means I do not even have to pull out a machine to open up the back to change light bulbs. The CC Ball Bowler will have a Swivel Head for Servicing as well.

Also note the Ceiling fans lighting is not directly over any machines with this layout, so no glare and will be on a dimmer. I already have the 2 matching fans which is cool too.

In the layout diagram the Gottlieb Big Hit will be next to the Arcade Games as it is my pseudo Pitch & Bat game which will be set on 3 ball, so 3 outs, game over. Playing for "Runs" will be fun. I chose BH over a regular P&B as I get bored with them quickly.

Ken

#12 4 years ago

Very spacy design Ken & looks good but how long can you persist with vacant space notwithstanding your sound reasons??
Have you thought also of a juke or wallbox. I found that addition with the music of the era just terrific. In fact when my kids visit the walbox is the first thing that is turned on.

#13 4 years ago

Hey Wayner,

Actually the design program just makes it Seem a little more spacious then it will really be. Music is always a must and will be covered by a CD/IPOD Stereo player with speakers mounted on the Wall where the Bi-Fold Doors are on the right. Plenty of 70's rock and roll CD's on standby.

I actually will also have a long closet (3'x9') that hides the hot water heater and will store my pinball tools which is not shown in the diagram as it is beyond the bi-fold doors (right wall) in the diagram.

When the arcade is actually all said and done there may be a little bit of extra room, hopefully for a Bally Skill Roll

Ken

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside