View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
Super Soccer Control bank (resized).jpg
61F53E8B-D4B3-43D0-A694-77CBB9CA24F9 (resized).jpeg
01A73E22-1E66-4097-AE89-A750C1383A76 (resized).jpeg
A8901AE0-E933-4893-A8DC-88B4E5305D6C (resized).jpeg
D5CD5666-4D88-4978-B8FF-0889588D4011 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Novice here, so let me apologize in advance, Gottlieb Super Soccer Player, the progressive bonus lights & scoring (additional lights and increased value as game progresses) appears driven by the AX, BX, and CX relays/coils and associated switches in the Control Bank, which seem to be energized by Motor 1c. The five switches in motor 1c appear open and closed when appropriate, yet the relays are operating intermittently, once activated they remain activated, but they don’t always activate. When they don’t activate they sometimes buzz, if buzzing or not, and they don’t activate when they should if you give them a light touch they will immediately pull in and activate. You can feel a vibration as well not witnessed on the coils either activated or not suppose to be activated at that time. Is this an indication the coils are worn and need replaced or that the power sent to the coil is insufficient, again this is intermittent game by game, sometimes impacting all 3 of these relays, other times only one or two, or none. Often when I have this issue the game which is set as 3-ball will extend to add ball 4-5, although ball 5 will not add add points to score wheel. When the bonus profession works the games all end correctly after ball 3.

Thanks for your consideration,

Matt

A8901AE0-E933-4893-A8DC-88B4E5305D6C (resized).jpegA8901AE0-E933-4893-A8DC-88B4E5305D6C (resized).jpegD5CD5666-4D88-4978-B8FF-0889588D4011 (resized).jpegD5CD5666-4D88-4978-B8FF-0889588D4011 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from mdo1998:

Is this an indication the coils are worn and need replaced or that the power sent to the coil is insufficient,

Coils almost never need replacing unless they've been overheated which would burn their paper wrapper. Most likely "the power sent to the coil is insufficient"

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#3 1 year ago

What Howard suggests is probably more likely, but I've also had interlock relays not activate because the metal plates were dirty or corroded and there was too much friction for them the slide against each other. In those cases, I had luck taking the plates out, polishing them, and sometimes putting maybe one drop of light oil on the plates where they contact each other.

#4 1 year ago

Guys,

Am I correct that score motor 1C is referring to the stack of switches at the 4 O’clock position below? That these activate the 3 relays in question?

01A73E22-1E66-4097-AE89-A750C1383A76 (resized).jpeg01A73E22-1E66-4097-AE89-A750C1383A76 (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago

I think so, but within that stack, there are A, B, C, and D (perhaps more) levels based on what part of the score motor actuates them.

The schematic will show what each level is. If I remember correctly, “C” is actuated by the top disc of the score motor. Then use the wire colors to find the correct 1C switch.

Regards

Alberto

#6 1 year ago

My belief as well activated by the top disc. I don’t understand the wire colors in practice, meaning the wire colors going to the coils are all brown, the colored wires are all going to switches activated by the coils on the Coil Bank, my issue is the coil does. not activate, what am I missing, as the wire colors on the C1 stack seem to have no relationship to the wires attached to the leads on the coils.

#7 1 year ago

This portion of the schematic you shared with us shows the switches that bring power to the lights that are not working. For example, for the #3 top rollover light, the power gets to it through switch 1C and switch BX. Switch 1C is controlled by the score motor, switch BX is one of the switches on the stack that is controlled by the BX coil.

I don’t have a Super Soccer schematic, but can you show us the portion of the schematic with the AX, BX, and CX coils? Then we can help debug why perhaps those coils are not getting enough power to turn on.

Regards

Alberto

#8 1 year ago

Ok, eye opener, so we have BX coils and BX switches, I was assuming BX was referencing the coil not an individual switch of the same name. I now see the BX coil on the schematic, picture attached.

61F53E8B-D4B3-43D0-A694-77CBB9CA24F9 (resized).jpeg61F53E8B-D4B3-43D0-A694-77CBB9CA24F9 (resized).jpeg
#9 1 year ago

Alberto, thanks for the eye opening lesson, I believe I’ve now found the AX, BX, and CX switches on the AX, BX, and CX coils; the ones that are normally closed, prior to the coil pulling, I get this now. Still have issues with one of the three but I think the Coil Bank switches are they key. Thanks again for the lesson, I just never considered a normally closed switch on a switch stack would be used to energize its own coil.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from mdo1998:

I just never considered a normally closed switch on a switch stack would be used to energize its own coil.

Normally closed switches in series with relay coils on the same relay aren't uncommon:
Super Soccer Control bank (resized).jpgSuper Soccer Control bank (resized).jpg
This is a common arrangement for relays in a Control or Sequence Bank (which are all trip relays). The normally closed switch is used to cut power to the relay coil once the relay has tripped on coils that might otherwise stay energized. Sending more current through a tripped relay coil doesn't accomplish anything and just makes the relay coil get hot.

/Mark

#11 1 year ago

Fantastic help Pinsiders, really pleased all is up and running now as it should be, I’m so pleased, could not have done it without you, appreciate the education. Picture below, Ball 3 and all is well!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago

Awesome! This community is so helpful, some of the gurus on this board have forgotten more about EM’s than I will ever know.

I had a Soccer for a while (two-player version of your game). I should have kept it. The spinners and the bonus balls make it so much fun.

Alberto

#13 1 year ago

The progressive bonus logic, 1x, 2x, 3x for balls 1-3 respectively for the up to ten soccer balls earned as bonus, combined with the ability to drain the bonus during a game and refill on the same ball just keeps me playing over and over, nice features. I bought this game in 1979 when I was 12 years old with paper route money at auction, played a few years and it sat at my folks hours not being played since late 80’s, just brought to my home last week, and now working as good as it did when Carter was President and I was in 6th grade.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-supper-soccer-control-bank and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.