You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb PF tilt switch (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Greetings,
I'm wondering is anyone can tell me where the third tilt switch is on the Gottlieb Super Soccer. Looking at the schematic, it shows three. I found the pendulum and the ball (the one that tilts if you lift the machine), but I cannot locate a third switch. I did find the three anti-cheat switches, but these seem to be different than the tilt switches. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2 years ago

Behind the back glass ?

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

From the manual:

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
#4 2 years ago

Most Gottlieb EMs have a tilt switch mounted on the underside of the PF. It looks pretty much like a large, regular two-blade switch on a metal bracket, except that it has a round metal weight on the end of the longer blade, and a thick metal stop to prevent the weighted blade from swinging too far.

This switch is intended to prevent a player (or helper) from banging the side of the cabinet to divert the ball during game play. For this reason, the blades of this switch are oriented to run parallel to the long side of the playboard. That orientation makes this particular tilt switch sensitive to vibration coming from either side of the game.

Sometimes when you have a game that seems overly sensitive to tilting, and you've already removed the ball-roll tilt and adjusted the pendulum to be very liberal, the root cause will be that the switch gap of this under-PF tilt is adjusted too close. I usually make the switch gap of the under-PF tilt switch very large, as most collectors don't have an issue with people banging on the sides of their games, and it's really not good to have the game tilting just from normal game play vibration.

- TimMe

Gottlieb PF tilt switch (resized).jpgGottlieb PF tilt switch (resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses.

TimMe, Found it, thank you!. Unfortunately for me, it is open, as it should be. I was hoping it was closed and the cause of my problems. So my game remains in a constant state of "Tilt" until I can track down the culprit. I'm going to recheck the gaps on the Hold and Tilt Hold relays. Any other insights would be most welcome.

Thanks again!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Defcoach90:

Any other insights would be most welcome.

A short between the leaf blades on the fiberboard spacers ?

LTG : )

#7 2 years ago

Found the problem... It seems that sometimes we (I) focus so much on the electrical, we (I) overlook the mechanical. I had replaced the HOLD and the TILT HOLD coils because the originals were toast. When I was replacing the HOLD coil, the washer that was between the coil and mounting bracket dropped out and I did not put it back in because it all seemed to fit without it. On the TILT HOLD coil, however, I did install the washer and that one is the one that was giving me grief.

It seems that the new coils have a plastic ridge that takes the place of the metal washer(?) and by having the washer installed, the armature did not have enough room to move and engage the contacts. I removed the washer and the TILT HOLD relay is working as it should.

Thanks once again for the input. It's great to have a place to think out loud and bounce ideas.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-super-soccer-tilt-switches?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.