New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 96817)

Gottlieb Super Soccer Adjustment Questions

By troxel

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by atariaction
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1022.jpg
1021.jpg
1020.jpg
100_3142.JPG
100_3136.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Trying to get this game up and running and just had a couple questions on it. All the 10,000 score reels has the same adjustment on the contacts and reels. They have two blades going through the same slot. The zero position has the bottom switch closed and top switch open. The 1-8 position has both contacts open, and the ninth position has the top closed and bottom open. I've attached a photo of it in the zero position. Is this correct?

The other problem that I am having is the red balls sometime needs a couple "kicks" to get it back to the bottom. Seems like the plunger is moving smoothly but getting caught up on the top black part. Any suggestions on how to adjust this correctly?

100_3136.JPG 100_3142.JPG
#2 6 years ago

Are they sluggish in movement?
For the Decagon score reels (2G) here is a good read to familiarize yourself on the function,an accompanying video (2H) helps too. Look to make sure all the wires are intact and not broken from their solder joint.

Pin repair link > http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Also> In early 1975, Super Soccer was the first game to use the new style Decagon unit. Gottlieb® did a major redesign of the unit, which was cheaper, and considerably easier to service than prior versions. Even though the unit went through a complete redesign, it was still called a "Decagon" unit. < derived from here . > http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Score_Reels_2

Quoted from troxel:

The other problem that I am having is the red balls sometime needs a couple "kicks" to get it back to the bottom. Seems like the plunger is moving smoothly but getting caught up on the top black part. Any suggestions on how to adjust this correctly?

Not familiar on how the rolling bonus operates. Try a clean and lube of the pivot points.
Also a cleaning and polish of the track,gates and red balls might help it function correctly,according to Gottlieb >> http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2443&picno=43137&zoom=1

#3 6 years ago

The score reels were really sluggish and rebuilt all of them. They move smoothly now and look like the contacts are in the correct position. I wasn't sure on the 10,000 reel since two blades were going through the same slot.

If I put the score reels to zero, and manual trip the reset bar, the game will start up, but won't restart own it's own. I manually pulled the 10, 100, 1000 relay along with the player unit to advance to test the score reels. The reels move smoothly between each number.

I can't believe that all the switches are incorrect, but something is installed incorrectly or something other than the score reels is causing problems. Thoughts?

Here is what is happening.

Player 1 Reels
10s don't advance the 100 after the 9th position
100s advance 1000
1000 advance 10,000 (sometimes when this happens the scoring is moved to player 2)

Player 2 Reels
10 don't advance 100
100 advance 1000
1000 don't advance 10,000

Player 3 Reels
10 don't advance 100
100 don't advance 1000
1000 advance 10,000

Player 4 Reels
10 advance 100
100 advance 1000
1000 advance 10,000

#4 6 years ago

The following information is taken from the March 1975 Gottlieb Super Soccer manual. This may be helpful when debugging a startup problem with this or other Gottlieb 4-player games from the same period.

1. Inserting a coin or pushing the replay button actuates 'S' relay (Start relay).
2. This relay will lock-in through its own switch and a motor 2B switch.
3. 'S' relay starts the motor running.
4. 'SB' relay and the total play meter are actuated by switches on motor 1A and motor 3B through a switch that has been closed on 'S' relay.
5. When 'SB' is tripped, the reset relays 'Z1' and 'Z2' are energized in sequence by rivets on the 'Player' unit to reset the score reels.
5a. Motor 1A steps the 'Player' unit, through switches on 'SB' and 'S' relays, to the 20th position energizing 'Z1'.
5b. When 'Z1' is energized the 1st and 2nd player score units reset to zero through switches on motor 1A, motor 4A and 'Z1'. When all score units of the 1st and 2nd player are at zero the player unit steps to the 21st position through a normally closed switch on 'Z2' and normally closed switches on all score units of the 1st two players, actuating 'Z2' relay. The 3rd and 4th player score units now reset through switches on motor 1A, motor 4A, and 'Z2'. The player unit continues to its zero position through the closed switches on 'Z1', 'Z2', 'SB2', 'P5A' and motor 1A until 'P5A' opens.
6. The control bank is reset by a switch on motor 3B through a switch on 'U' relay.
7. Inserting additional coins or pushing the replay button will actuate the 2nd player relay (PB2) through motor 3B switch: the 3rd player relay (PB3) through motor 2C and PB2 switches; and the 4th player relay (PB4) through motor 1D and PB3 switches; in that order.
8. Place the ball in the out hole. The ball return switch closes and completes the circuit to 'O' relay through the zero position switch on the bonus unit, E, 'SB1', and 'QB' relays. 'O' relay locks-in through its own switch and a switch on motor 2B. When 'O' relay is energized, motor 4C actuates the ball return coil (which kicks the ball onto the runway) through a switch on 'O' and a normally closed switches on 'P' and 'XB' relays. The ball is now on the runway and is ready to be put into play.
9. The remaining balls that enter the outhole are kicked across the trough switch which pulls in 'P' relay. 'P' relay runs the motor. Switches on 'SB', 'ZB', motor 2C, 'P', and motor 1A advances the 'Player' unit the required number of steps determined by the 'Player' unit switches and the player relays. (PB2, PB3, and PB4). < From Mr Pinball link

Ok it looks like some multiple issues, you have the following manual i had linked,are you familiar with the labeled relays and location of where they are? If not i would read the Pinrepair i have linked previous to get familiar. Start with section 3a till you get to 3G and then scroll to just before the 1975-1978 Gottlieb Start-Up Sequence Multi-player games with Ax/Bx relays as its explained.

If the S- relay isnt actuating then you have to find out why? First thing, do you add credits via coins or is it set up for freeplay?

Quoted from troxel:

I can't believe that all the switches are incorrect, but something is installed incorrectly or something other than the score reels is causing problems. Thoughts?

That Sounds like the player unit is suspect.^ In the back box you should be able to find the N-relay (10 point) and manually press it to mimic scoring and watch the reel rotate around hitting the 9th pos. and bumping the M-relay (100 point) till it hits the 9th pos. and watch the L-relay trigger (1000 point) without a hiccup. All those points follow a path for each player via the player unit. Is it sluggish,are the rivets aligning ? A rebuild is necessary if its sluggish or jumping players.
I would go over each step one by one till it works proper before moving to the next one.

If you have the Gottlieb manual it illustrates the score motor contacts explaining what they do,as well as a schematic which helps you find circuit operations easier.
You have to walk before you run.

Post edited by Pin-it: SS doesnt have the Ax Bx relay

#5 6 years ago

I just picked up a 2-player soccer and am having the same issues with the red balls, haven't had a chance to check it yet but agree with Pin-it. Still working on playfield and haven't got to backbox yet. I'll report back if I find anything.

#6 6 years ago

I went through the player unit and it's moving smoothly now. I am still getting the same problems. I think the players unit might be off because when I go from 30,000 to 40,000 on player one the unit activates and moves the scoring to the second player reel. How can I double check this? I do have the schematics and manual.

What's the best way to adjust the bottom contact (zero position) that's by the plunger (the one in the back)? I noticed a couple were open but the one was closed.

#7 6 years ago

Even though your score reel switch stacks have the plastic ladder instead of the wire form, I think the switches should still following the same open/close patterns as shown here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sure-shot-run-through-where-do-i-start-lots-of-hand-holding-required/page/2#post-1765327

The 10K reel won't have the top switch (9th position) since there's no reel beyond it to carry over to.

So it looks like the 'frog head' blades are stuck in the same slot, and should be split. At the zero position, the bottom switch should be closed, and the middle switch open. In the 1-8 position, the bottom switch should be open, middle switch closed. In the 9th position, the top switch also closes (if present).

Best to confirm from the schematic though - does it require the 'runout' switches to be closed for stepping the score reel? And does it require all reels to be at zero position to complete reset? That would comport with the above.

#8 6 years ago

After getting the scoring reel switches and associated relays ironed out.

Quoted from troxel:

I went through the player unit and it's moving smoothly now. I am still getting the same problems. I think the players unit might be off because when I go from 30,000 to 40,000 on player one the unit activates and moves the scoring to the second player reel.

Ok, possible solutions.
Assuming the player unit is clean an lubed properly (rotating disc is not binding or loose from
bushing being worn and (player unit coil as referenced on the schematic/manual)if you
quickly manually press the player advancing coil with the machine on/reset for 4 player
you should see with each press of the plunger a change of each player 1-4 and stop at each
players (each player up lite)with the wiper fingers centered over the rivets with each change of player, if that works proper then its time to look at that coil assembly itself.
Possible problems with the change player coil>Is it binding? It might need cleaning of the plunger and sleeve or the sleeve could be worn? > A bad coil?> Bushing worn?
Could be an electrical problem too> Looking at the manual you can see it says after the ball is ejected from the outhole it triggers the trough switch which will advance the player.
A common problem is the trough switch itself, a clean and adjust could be the fix it needs.
If that seems to have fixed it then great,if not then you will have to look at the other contacts
in that circuit that may need attention.
From line # 9. The remaining balls that enter the outhole are kicked across the trough switch which
pulls in P relay. P relay runs the motor. Switches on 'SB', 'ZB', motor 2C, 'P', and score motor 1A <(within the manual it states which motor switch it is ie: whether its an inside switch 2nd,3rd ect.within the 1A motor switch stack)advances the 'Player' unit the required the number of steps determined by the 'Player' unit switches and the player relays. (PB2, PB3, and PB4).

#9 6 years ago

Had a chance to look at this a little bit more, and now I 'think' everything is working on it. I will have to play it a bit more, but played a few 4 player games without seeing anything wrong.

Here's a summary of what fixed what:

1. Player scoring switching between players was because the 10,000 wasn't aligned right. The two blades needed to separated. Once that was changed and contacts adjusted the 10,000 now resets and does not move the scoring over.

2. The tens unit was because the EOS was open and was not closing. I corrected a couple of those, and now all scores reset and carry over to the next digit.

3. I waxed the balls, clean and waxed the tracks, and switched out the coil sleeve and the bonus is now scoring correctly and smoothly.

Thanks for all the help, and to Pin-it for helping me with the problems.

#10 6 years ago

Great

Quoted from poppapin:

I just picked up a 2-player soccer and am having the same issues with the red balls,

Number 3 (above) might be the common solution. ^^^^

#11 6 years ago

Thanks,
Just haven't got to the backbox yet!!

#12 6 years ago

I have played this quite a bit and have questions on the bonus scoring. I have it set for 3 players, and wondering about the following:

1. How should the roll overs on top light for bonus? Is there a set pattern with the balls or does it depend on something else. I usually have 2 lit out of the 4 and will change.

2. Checkered flag bonus. Should the bonus be given after the 5th light is lit? Mine cycles through about 3 times before I get a bonus, and a couple of times two lights are lit at once.

3. The bull-eyes targets by the flippers are always lit. Is this correct?

10 months later
#13 5 years ago

Just started working on my backbox balls issue. Same as above. I think I was missing a piece so I improvised with a piece of Qtip put in the leaf switch below the gate. What does the original part that is supposed to be there look like?

1020.jpg
1021.jpg
1022.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1,248.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 219.99
$ 15.00
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 67.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 239.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 49.95
Playfield - Plastics
MicksPinball
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside