The following information is taken from the March 1975 Gottlieb Super Soccer manual. This may be helpful when debugging a startup problem with this or other Gottlieb 4-player games from the same period.
1. Inserting a coin or pushing the replay button actuates 'S' relay (Start relay).
2. This relay will lock-in through its own switch and a motor 2B switch.
3. 'S' relay starts the motor running.
4. 'SB' relay and the total play meter are actuated by switches on motor 1A and motor 3B through a switch that has been closed on 'S' relay.
5. When 'SB' is tripped, the reset relays 'Z1' and 'Z2' are energized in sequence by rivets on the 'Player' unit to reset the score reels.
5a. Motor 1A steps the 'Player' unit, through switches on 'SB' and 'S' relays, to the 20th position energizing 'Z1'.
5b. When 'Z1' is energized the 1st and 2nd player score units reset to zero through switches on motor 1A, motor 4A and 'Z1'. When all score units of the 1st and 2nd player are at zero the player unit steps to the 21st position through a normally closed switch on 'Z2' and normally closed switches on all score units of the 1st two players, actuating 'Z2' relay. The 3rd and 4th player score units now reset through switches on motor 1A, motor 4A, and 'Z2'. The player unit continues to its zero position through the closed switches on 'Z1', 'Z2', 'SB2', 'P5A' and motor 1A until 'P5A' opens.
6. The control bank is reset by a switch on motor 3B through a switch on 'U' relay.
7. Inserting additional coins or pushing the replay button will actuate the 2nd player relay (PB2) through motor 3B switch: the 3rd player relay (PB3) through motor 2C and PB2 switches; and the 4th player relay (PB4) through motor 1D and PB3 switches; in that order.
8. Place the ball in the out hole. The ball return switch closes and completes the circuit to 'O' relay through the zero position switch on the bonus unit, E, 'SB1', and 'QB' relays. 'O' relay locks-in through its own switch and a switch on motor 2B. When 'O' relay is energized, motor 4C actuates the ball return coil (which kicks the ball onto the runway) through a switch on 'O' and a normally closed switches on 'P' and 'XB' relays. The ball is now on the runway and is ready to be put into play.
9. The remaining balls that enter the outhole are kicked across the trough switch which pulls in 'P' relay. 'P' relay runs the motor. Switches on 'SB', 'ZB', motor 2C, 'P', and motor 1A advances the 'Player' unit the required number of steps determined by the 'Player' unit switches and the player relays. (PB2, PB3, and PB4). < From Mr Pinball link
Ok it looks like some multiple issues, you have the following manual i had linked,are you familiar with the labeled relays and location of where they are? If not i would read the Pinrepair i have linked previous to get familiar. Start with section 3a till you get to 3G and then scroll to just before the 1975-1978 Gottlieb Start-Up Sequence Multi-player games with Ax/Bx relays as its explained.
If the S- relay isnt actuating then you have to find out why? First thing, do you add credits via coins or is it set up for freeplay?
Quoted from troxel:
I can't believe that all the switches are incorrect, but something is installed incorrectly or something other than the score reels is causing problems. Thoughts?
That Sounds like the player unit is suspect.^ In the back box you should be able to find the N-relay (10 point) and manually press it to mimic scoring and watch the reel rotate around hitting the 9th pos. and bumping the M-relay (100 point) till it hits the 9th pos. and watch the L-relay trigger (1000 point) without a hiccup. All those points follow a path for each player via the player unit. Is it sluggish,are the rivets aligning ? A rebuild is necessary if its sluggish or jumping players.
I would go over each step one by one till it works proper before moving to the next one.
If you have the Gottlieb manual it illustrates the score motor contacts explaining what they do,as well as a schematic which helps you find circuit operations easier.
You have to walk before you run.
Post edited by Pin-it: SS doesnt have the Ax Bx relay