IMG_1861 (resized).jpg
IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG
image-4 (resized).jpg
IMG_0382 (resized).jpg
IMG_0418 (resized).jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

There arent many of us who own this game, even with there being 2100 units out there. Lets share pics, experiences, and stories about our machines. Super Orbit is a simple, but fast and fun game. Guests love the game play, being easy to understand, but still challenging.

My story: This was my first machine ever. It was a gift from a family member when I was probably around 7 or 8? It sat in my parents basement for years, being abused by my friends and I who didnt know any better. When we moved, my mom put the head down and put a towel over it. It became a cat feeder. Right then I knew I needed to get the game outta there! Long story short, bought a house, borrowed a van, and saved my game from kitty.

I did a decent shop job on it, but I know it needs a more in depth cleaning at some point. I have a NOS platic set and a NOS playfield, but mine arent really that bad. If I ever get the balls, Ill do a full restore.

Any one else want to share their machines? I think there were different colored cabs, and maybe some other differences we can discover. Post your pics and stories!

SuperOrbitV1 (resized).pngSuperOrbitV1 (resized).png

#2 5 years ago

Spyderturbo007 ,found some of the pics from when I brought her home...

The only difference I have noticed so far is what some cabs are blue and some are purple.

IMG_0382 (resized).jpgIMG_0382 (resized).jpgIMG_0418 (resized).jpgIMG_0418 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago

I would like to add on to the collection and join this club

#4 5 years ago

Sweet, a Super Orbit club. I'm assuming there will only be a couple of us in this illustrious club.

I'll post some up to date pictures of mine later tonight. I don't have anything recent with me. Mine was a basket case when I got it and wouldn't even power on. People come over and love this game. It's so simple, yet so damn hard.

#5 5 years ago

I’m on the hunt for an Outer Space, the OG Super Orbit. If you have one hit me up lol

Also a big fan of this game. Local collector has one and I enjoy playing it

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I’m on the hunt for an Outer Space, the OG Super Orbit. If you have one hit me up lol
Also a big fan of this game. Local collector has one and I enjoy playing it

You could also look for an Orbit, unless you specifically want the Outer Space. I'm pretty sure they have the same play field and almost the same artwork. I think the difference is 2 player vs. 4 player.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

You could also look for an Orbit, unless you specifically want the Outer Space. I'm pretty sure they have the same play field and almost the same artwork. I think the difference is 2 player vs. 4 player.

You’re right, but I collect 2 player Gottliebs

#8 5 years ago

Do you guys think this blue color is a prototype or something? It doesnt look like the lighting is affecting it.

Is YOURS purple or blue?

image-4 (resized).jpgimage-4 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

You're going to have to edit your poll, because my response to the cabinet color is "Both".

If you look at the side of the head, it's more blue than the cabinet which is definitely purple. I'm thinking it might be a fading issue that's causing the color differences?

I picked up this with the help of DangerSem who spotted it on some random website in the background of another picture. I guess the owner had it sitting for years and years in the corner of his garage because it didn't work. I picked it up for $200 and did a good bit of work to get it running. The backglass is a 9 out of 10 with just a little flaking. The play field isn't bad, but has some wear around a few of the bonus inserts.

When I bought it I had a hell of a time with the boards, sending them out and ultimately having to buy new ones. Note to self: just by new boards next time.

I rebuilt the pops, both flippers, fixed the vari target and the various diodes that were causing the fuses to blow. I stripped the play field, cleaned it up, did an LED conversion and put in all new rubbers. I also grabbed some new legs.

I'm really happy with how it turned out especially since it was my first project. Everyone loves the game because it's so easy, but yet so hard. The backhanded maxed out bonus collect is really satisfying.

IMG_1334.JPGIMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1320.JPGIMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPGIMG_1321.JPG

#10 5 years ago

Oh ya, would you look at that. Must be fading. Huh.

Wow, 3m+ high score. I need to tune mine up I think. we have barely cracked 2m.

I think Im gonna tweak my vari target this weekend and maybe throw some lube on my spinner to get it to rip faster and longer.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Oh ya, would you look at that. Must be fading. Huh.
Wow, 3m+ high score. I need to tune mine up I think. we have barely cracked 2m.
I think Im gonna tweak my vari target this weekend and maybe throw some lube on my spinner to get it to rip faster and longer.

I need to clear out that score. It isn't mine and the game was set on 5 ball with extra balls on when I got it. I put it back to 3 ball and shut off extra balls. My high is about 1.7 million.

#12 5 years ago

I need to clear out that score. It isn't mine and the game was set on 5 ball with extra balls on when I got it. I put it back to 3 ball and shut off extra balls. My high is about 1.7 million.

5 Ball?? Extra Balls? Lol...ya, shut it down.

Ive got the Pascal board in mine. Only adds a short ball save called "chance ball", and makes the pop bumpers flash when they are struck.

Cool additions, but nothing to buy the board for. I bought it for reliability and high score keeping. Although, I have never been able to figure out the high score initial entering. Its really odd.

#13 5 years ago

Did you clear your backglass? Mine is rubbing on the display cover and its driving me nuts. I dont know what to do about it. Its rubbing holes in my art!

#14 5 years ago

I didn't do anything with the backglass. I'm scared to screw it up.

Is the panel not latched correctly or something?

1 month later
#15 5 years ago

Im not sure what to do about this rubbing, but its driving me nut. The more I look at my glass, the more I think I should rattl can clear coat it. Its starting to crack in places as well.

I know its the green display cover rubbing...not sure how to fix it. The backbox door is secure, not much play at all. Its locked in the right oplace as well. The glass isnt hard to get in, so I dont think its off track or anything. Any ideas??

IMG_0829 (resized).jpgIMG_0829 (resized).jpg
#16 5 years ago

is the display firmly fixed to the board it's mounted to? I've had to double-sided tape many back into play or they did the same thing.

1 month later
#17 5 years ago

Had a small party this weekend and SO decided to stop kicking a ball out and it gives me an error message.

According to Pascal's site, if I am reading it right:

Error=4 - A switch is detected closed after 5 consecutive coil firings

So....I guess my coil is bad? Maybe I have a short? Kinda confused on where to start. Guess I will start with just removing the ball from the trough and see what happens.

Totally weird...game has been so solid lately.

IMG_1861 (resized).jpgIMG_1861 (resized).jpg
#18 5 years ago

Had a small party this weekend and SO decided to stop kicking a ball out and it gives me an error message.
According to Pascal's site, if I am reading it right:
Error=4 - A switch is detected closed after 5 consecutive coil firings
So....I guess my coil is bad? Maybe I have a short? Kinda confused on where to start. Guess I will start with just removing the ball from the trough and see what happens.
Totally weird...game has been so solid lately.
[quoted image]

I'm no expert, but you might want to start by testing the resistance of the coil. That should tell you if it's good or bad. Do you have a manual? If not, I can try and remember to check my manual for the correct resistance.

If the coil is bad you'll need to take a look at the driver transistor that fires the coil. If the coil is smoked, then the driver transistor is most likely smoked as well.

3 weeks later
#19 4 years ago

Pulled the ball tonight. Restarted the game. Then tried to start a game. It said “wait ball” and I put the ball in. It fired the ball out through two full games.....gremlins.

On a side note, i wanted to look at my nos playfield, its been a while. Got the plastic set too. Doing some inventory tonight.
9F7B70EA-0BD4-4D8F-A00B-0260F14D8C02 (resized).jpeg9F7B70EA-0BD4-4D8F-A00B-0260F14D8C02 (resized).jpegBD4067D2-CB79-4673-A448-A68014C327E2 (resized).jpegBD4067D2-CB79-4673-A448-A68014C327E2 (resized).jpeg

#20 4 years ago

Clearcoat that thing! Lol

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Clearcoat that thing! Lol

Hey dont temp me or this is coming over next!

#22 4 years ago

Hey dont temp me or this is coming over next!

just sell or trade me the whole shebang and I will do it

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just sell or trade me the whole shebang and I will do it

That is never going to happen, sorry. This was my first love.

#24 4 years ago

That is never going to happen, sorry. This was my first love.

I know. just with you.

I look forward to you doing the full restore.
I would happily buy your old pf once you pull it.

#25 4 years ago

Did you get the coil figured out? We played a few games on mine over the weekend. Damn game is brutal!

#26 4 years ago

Did you get the coil figured out? We played a few games on mine over the weekend. Damn game is brutal!

Doesnt seem to be a problem any more. I reset the game with the ball out of the trough and it works fine now. Gremlins!

1 year later
#27 3 years ago

Hey Super Orbit dudes, punkin is on the hunt. Any overseas offerings?

1 month later
#28 3 years ago

My SO NOS play field gets cleared soon! Maybe I will get pictures.....

4 months later
#29 3 years ago

My SO NOS play field gets cleared soon! Maybe I will get pictures.....

Let’s see
The pics!

Also, sell me the one you swap out!

1 week later
#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Let’s see
The pics!
Also, sell me the one you swap out!

Its still in waiting. Hes been backed up.

I will trade you the old playfield for no less than 25 gameboys.

9 months later
#31 2 years ago

Just acquired a used Super Orbit playfield that I plan on restoring and making into wall art. Can anyone post up or send me a good closeup picture of the space ship blasting off (next to the bonus light tower) on the playfield?

There is a lot of wear on my playfield and I plan on making a large, slide water decal. Thanks in advance.

Ken

#32 2 years ago

Clear turned out nice on our nos playfield. Can't wait to see how game plays after playfield swap is done.

20210814_142003 (resized).jpg20210814_142003 (resized).jpg
#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

Clear turned out nice on our nos playfield. Can't wait to see how game plays after playfield swap is done.
[quoted image]

Could you take a close up picture of the space ship blasting off and post it up?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

Could you take a close up picture of the space ship blasting off and post it up?

I will try to get that for you.

#35 2 years ago

I will try to get that for you.

Thank you.

Much appreciated.

#36 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Holy shit. Where did you get a NOS playfield? I'm totally jealous. Super Orbit is such an underrated game. Mine is bolted to the floor.

#37 2 years ago

Holy shit. Where did you get a NOS playfield? I'm totally jealous. Super Orbit is such an underrated game. Mine is bolted to the floor.

Got lucky. It came with the Super Orbit pin I bought a while back. Fairly local too.

#38 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Very nice! My NOS pf got cleared a few months back. I need to get the motivation to get the game out to get swapped. Cant wait to see yours!

I got mine from Pinball Resource before the mad dash for NOS happened. I also have a plastic set too.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

Sorry it took a bit to get to it but here you go. I hope it helps.

20211019_165146 (resized).jpg20211019_165146 (resized).jpg
#40 2 years ago

Sorry it took a bit to get to it but here you go. I hope it helps.

This is fantastic!!!

It is exactly what I am looking for so I can recreate the ship / rocket on a slide water decal. Thank you for taking the time to take this closeup and post it up.

Here is the playfield I have that I am going to restore to its full glory and then hang it on the wall next to my original 1971 Gottlieb Orbit pinball machine. This picture is the rough canvas after it was thoroughly cleaned up.

7D303DBB-22D3-41E2-8599-B5C9AEF7C4C0 (resized).jpeg7D303DBB-22D3-41E2-8599-B5C9AEF7C4C0 (resized).jpeg
#41 2 years ago

I always wanted to add a spinning disc in the place where the planet/moon is on the pf. Each # corresponding to the speed of the disc.

So start at 1. 1 is lit red. Lights fill in white behind it 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Then when 10 hits, 2 turns red and it fill in behind. Disc speeds up for every red number. Dump it back to stopped or slow by smashing the roto target all the way back.

I have plans....

1 week later
#42 2 years ago

Hi! We have a Super Orbit in our shop. So we'll be club members for 3 months... lol.

The background attract sound is always on... sounds like a wave, and the sound coincides with the bonus lights lighting up in between the slingshots.

Any idea on how to turn off this post game, attract mode sound? I've tried 3 and 4 dip switch off on the sound board, then I tried EVERYTHING off on the sound board (during a game, just target and switch hits register a sound effect, no background noise...but attract sound still exists).

Then, I tried everything on. All sounds during a game, and of course, that attract mode persists no matter what I set up.

Thanks in advance.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePurpleDragon:

Hi! We have a Super Orbit in our shop. So we'll be club members for 3 months... lol.
The background attract sound is always on... sounds like a wave, and the sound coincides with the bonus lights lighting up in between the slingshots.
Any idea on how to turn off this post game, attract mode sound? I've tried 3 and 4 dip switch off on the sound board, then I tried EVERYTHING off on the sound board (during a game, just target and switch hits register a sound effect, no background noise...but attract sound still exists).
Then, I tried everything on. All sounds during a game, and of course, that attract mode persists no matter what I set up.
Thanks in advance.

The only attract noice my game makes is an occasional RUMBLE sound like when you start a game.

During the game it plays a pulsing boom boom boom boom boom and the flippers make a noise when you are pressed like an explosion or gun shot.

#44 2 years ago

ok, attached 2 videos. 1st video, ball drains, dip switches on the sound board all "on":

2nd video, all sound board dip switches are off:

the end of game sound never ends, so technically, i guess it's not really attract mode.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePurpleDragon:

ok, attached 2 videos. 1st video, ball drains, dip switches on the sound board all "on":

2nd video, all sound board dip switches are off:

the end of game sound never ends, so technically, i guess it's not really attract mode.

Thats crazy!!!! Ghost machine!!!

#46 2 years ago

I have an NOS Super Orbit PF that I would be willing to sell if anyone needs one.

IMG_0564 (resized).JPGIMG_0564 (resized).JPG

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

I have an NOS Super Orbit PF that I would be willing to sell if anyone needs one.
[quoted image]

Find Hilton. He has always bugged me about selling my game or parts for my game.

8 months later
#48 1 year ago

Its done! Clearcoated NOS playfield and NOS plastic set.

Right now were playing it with a power ball and I love it. Reminds me of tna. All shots coming back at you if you arent careful. High score so far in the 1.2m.

0003E9F0-049B-4054-B284-5A453175EA96 (resized).jpeg0003E9F0-049B-4054-B284-5A453175EA96 (resized).jpegA4D24E30-2897-4848-AF23-011A8D20C989 (resized).jpegA4D24E30-2897-4848-AF23-011A8D20C989 (resized).jpeg
#49 1 year ago

used to be part of this club (kinda)

owned a space orbit a few years back. it's the italian aab version. also had a few others of those rare italian export games such as tiger and texas ranger

should mention that when i bought the game it was missing everything off the top of the playfield except for the plastics which were inside the game..so i decided to customise the playfield..so the rollovers, posts, stationary targets, pop bumper caps and bodies are not what came out of the factory. also missing were the front door, transformer, plenty of coils, plunger, flipper mechs, bumper mechs and heaps of smaller items such as flipper buttons and switches..so was a huge effort just to gathering all the parts..

here is a video of it in action

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

used to be part of this club (kinda)
owned a space orbit a few years back. it's the italian aab version. also had a few others of those rare italian export games such as tiger and texas ranger
should mention that when i bought the game it was missing everything off the top of the playfield except for the plastics which were inside the game..so i decided to customise the playfield..so the rollovers, posts, stationary targets, pop bumper caps and bodies are not what came out of the factory. also missing were the front door, transformer, plenty of coils, plunger, flipper mechs, bumper mechs and heaps of smaller items such as flipper buttons and switches..so was a huge effort just to gathering all the parts..
here is a video of it in action

Neat! A few differences there, but I see it. Id love to have the em orbit version maybe some day to have next to it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-super-orbit-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.