RotoPool 101.jpg
RotoPool 056.jpg
RotoPool 048.jpg
RotoPool 043.jpg
DSCN6678.JPG
DSCN6679.JPG
2014Jun22 012.JPG
2014Jun22 011.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jjpm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello all,

I have been working on a Sunshine restoration and one aspect is driving me crazy: the large stepper.

The previous owner or someone before him forced the unit past its intended rest and no matter what I do, I cannot get the stepper to reset to the zero position. I have tested every contact point against the finger and no matter what adjustments I make, the wheel always sets back to 500,000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've already rebuilt the two smaller steppers successfully and have gotten everything else to work well and play correctly.

#4 9 years ago

There is no bounce up. I will post a picture tomorrow of the front and back. It's an adjustment issue involving the wiper arm in all likelihood, but this is one is really frustrating to figure out and I have no reference point to work off of.

#6 9 years ago

That helps a great deal. Thank you!

#7 9 years ago

Sorry it took so long to get some pictures. I had to move a bunch of machines to get behind the pinball.

The machine's still a way's off from restoration. Any assistance on this unite would be greatly appreciated.

DSCN6678.JPGDSCN6678.JPG DSCN6679.JPGDSCN6679.JPG
#9 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Is something holding the small coil plunger in? That should come back out after a reset so that the ratchet arms engage the cam.

It does come out when the game is powered on. I engaged the plunger to reset the wheel for the picture. I do still have to disassemble and clean the shoulder bolts for the two screws and replace the springs. The entire unit is a mess (this machine was in a fire), but I'd like to get it adjusted properly before I go through all the trouble of rebuilding the unit, replacing the coil sleeves, etc...

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

So this picture looks like it should be at the -1 position. Is it displaying the 500,000 at this point though (like the issue described), or where does it land following game reset?

It is staying at that position, but posting a 500,000 starting score.

I can't tell from the pictures. Which wiper should be on which contact at the -1 position?

Quoted from newmantjn:If it were my unit, I would dissamble it, clean up all the rusty crapola, replcace any worn parts and reassemble, oiling all metal/metal interfaces and putting dialetric grease on the rivets after they have been cleaned up. No telling all the problems that thing has. Here are some pics from a Rotopool I did a few years back:
Lots of problems you couldn't see until you scattered it. Ran like a champ on reassembly.

I plan on doing this later this week. I just want to make sure I have the correct reset positions before I do so as adjusting these after the fact with no reference point can be a major headache.

#14 9 years ago

I just tried manually triggering the coil with the unit set to -1. The bell rings, the arm remains still until the sixth hit which then starts advancing the wiper, which then starts advancing the lights on the front to 600,000, 700,000, etc. Is this possibly a wiring issue or a bridged contact? I've honestly never encountered something like this when working on a stepper unit before.

At this point, I think I'm going to disassemble the entire unit as is and do a bottom up clean and rebuild.

#16 9 years ago

I rebuilt all three steppers today. The 500,000 issue turned out to be a piece of splattered solder that bridged two contacts. All three steppers now reset and move freely and set to the correct positions when a new game is started.

The last issue I'm having is that the larger of the two coils is not pushing the plunger all the way when 100,000 scores are tripped. The coil itself is fine (checked the ohms and it is reading what other coils in other machines I have are reading). Could this be the coil stop, possibly, or is this the plunger or the bakelite plate? I'd love to fix this final issue so that I could turn my attention to unwarping the spinning wheel and having the machine back to 100% working. There's nothing obstructing the coil sleeve and the plunger itself is clean and smooth.

#18 9 years ago

Excellent. Thank you for all your help, dirtflipper!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jjpm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sunshine-large-stepper-question?tu=jjpm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.