DSCF1685 (resized).JPG
DSCF1686 (resized).JPG
DSCF1684 (resized).JPG
IMG_2583 (resized).JPG
IMG_2603 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I know that this is a very small group, but I thought I'd start this so we could have one place to direct questions, pictures, and support for Gottlieb's Sunshine. Below is the current state of my model. I've depopulated the entire playfield, and will soon begin touching up key lines, inserts, etc. using various techniques. I paint with an air brush using friskets and Createx paints. I plan on finishing up with a 2pac. My back glass is extremely nice, and the cabinet itself is gorgeous, untainted by any cleaning... so far.
Sunshine.jpgSunshine.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Just bought a Sunshine today for 45 bucks. Came from the Silverman Collection. Playfied is pretty nice. Cabinet is ok. Back box needs some repair. Missing the backglass so I'll be on the lookout for one. Appears mostly complete with the exception of the BG and legs. Looks like it had metal legs. Does it use 31"?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Looks like it had metal legs. Does it use 31"?

Yes. Red painted 31" all around. Clay has a great pic of the best looking Sunshine I've ever seen on his website if you need reference for the red color.

#4 9 years ago

Right now the game's at my dad's until I finish this Genco I'm working on. I was looking at some pics on the ipdb and didn't see any bells in the back box or the cabinet. Does this game have bells? If so, where?

#5 9 years ago

FWIW, Sunshine left the factory with ivory/cream-colored legs (same color as coin door and apron). Can be seen in the flyer:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2423&picno=4747&zoom=1

(Gottlieb seems to have switched from the red metal legs to the ivory around Rainbow, late 1956.)

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Right now the game's at my dad's until I finish this Genco I'm working on. I was looking at some pics on the ipdb and didn't see any bells in the back box or the cabinet. Does this game have bells? If so, where?

Two bells in the back box, behind the 10,000 and 100,000 steppers.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

FWIW, Sunshine left the factory with ivory/cream-colored legs (same color as coin door and apron). Can be seen in the flyer:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2423&picno=4747&zoom=1

Certainly looks better with Red Legs. This pic is lifted from Clay's website.image-7.jpgimage-7.jpg

#8 9 years ago

That's Raphael Lankar's game:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2423&picno=11736

It's been repainted and such, but looks nice. Colors are often a personal choice of course.

#9 9 years ago

^^^^^^
Now that's ground up restoration. Wow. I could Mean Green till the cows come home and the red on mine will never be that bright. That's gotta be a complete repaint.

Edit: beat me to it.

Also, I'm just gonna go with chrome legs. I think painted one's would be too bright and wouldn't match well with my cabinet.

2 weeks later
#10 9 years ago

What are some techniques to getting the pop bumper protectors off the playfield? What are they made out of? They're white and not clear like typical mylar.

#11 9 years ago

Goo Gone and patience. Hair dryer sometimes works, but Goo Gone works well for those older after-market stick-on platters.

#12 9 years ago

Does Goo Gone eat into the lacquer or paint?

#13 9 years ago

Under-rated game.

I chased North Star and Sweethearts as love the all rollover special.

And then found a nice Sunshine and found out it has an all rollover special!

Love the ratings as well. Boy, going to have to have an awesome game to become Genius

Mine has cream legs - maybe original paint - hard to tell but rust on inside of legs/paint so maybe.

MVC-006S.JPGMVC-006S.JPG IMG_8357.jpgIMG_8357.jpg
#14 9 years ago

Steve Young has a batch of the white legs. Check them out, as they are nicely done. I have them on my Sunshine. I have owned a pile of woodrails, and had played some rough Sunshines at both Allentown and York Shows. They never did much for me, but Nick Raschilla gave me a heck of a deal on one in nice condition. It is among the fastest playing ems I have owned. Challenging, and a real drain monster!

Harry Irvin

#15 9 years ago

I don't know. With a faded cabinet and white that's no longer "white" I just don't think a new set of pure white legs would look good. I'm just gonna stick to the chrome ones.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

What are some techniques to getting the pop bumper protectors off the playfield? What are they made out of? They're white and not clear like typical mylar.

I had good results with a hair dryer set on low. The glue residue cleaned up with naphtha.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Does Goo Gone eat into the lacquer or paint?

Nope. But always prudent to try a little first before going all out. I remove all the pop bumper stuff first, and then try to find a spot on the sticker where the edge is lifted a bit, or cracked. Just somewhere to start where the Goo Gone can seep under a bit (it needs to work on the edge/under the sticker to dissolve the old glue). It needs to sit and soak a bit to work best. Then once the glue has softened, I start working the edge up (I use a thin plastic blade for this), while pushing more Goo Gone underneath the peeling edge. Once you can grab a whole width of the circle, then it just sort of peels back off. But let the Goo Gone do the work first.

If the sticker was placed over top ink that was already compromised and flaking, then there will be some ink that come up with the sticker (flakes). But if the ink was solid to begin with, it will be fine.

Still best to test it first.

3 weeks later
#18 9 years ago

Had some PM's looking for the replay setting label which seems to be commonly missing from the 100,000 unit. Just found mine in the bottom cabinet, so here's a photo.image.jpgimage.jpg

#19 9 years ago

I stumbled on this thread when posting a tech question. Here are some pictures of mine, which was a fire rescue. It's taken a lot just to get the game to power up and cleaned up. The previous owner was a game operator at Savin Rock and had the machine in his house since the early 60s. FWIW, the machine had 28 1/2 inch red legs on it when I acquired it. I replaced them with the powder white legs for sale at Pbresource.

Major issues:

--The machine doesn't reset to zero.
--The spinning wheel is warped; any suggestions on reshaping so it doesn't rub against the backglass without damaging the plastic? Heat, maybe?

Minor issues:

--Needs some cabinet touchup.
--Want to touch up the coin door.
--Want to polish some of the metal cabinet pieces.

DSCN6667.JPGDSCN6667.JPG
DSCN6669.JPGDSCN6669.JPG
DSCN6670.JPGDSCN6670.JPG
DSCN6672.JPGDSCN6672.JPG

Post edited by jjpm: Added details to minor issues.

#20 9 years ago

--The spinning wheel is warped; any suggestions on reshaping so it doesn't rub against the backglass without damaging the plastic? Heat, maybe?

Nice looking machine, jjpm. My Sunshine doesn't always complete the start up sequence either...sometimes requires manually resetting the 100,000 unit and hitting the start button again. Hope to resolve this soon.
I don't know if the spinning wheel is the same material as the playfield plastics, but I experimented with a little heat to attemp to flatten my playfield pieces and it was obviously not going to go well. The heat softened the plastic, but it began to crackle and disintegrate when flexed.
But if the fire is what warped the spinner, maybe heat would work to straighten it. Hopefully someone has had some experience with this.

#21 9 years ago

I am considering selling my beautiful Sunshine. PM me for details.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbee:

Nice looking machine, jjpm. My Sunshine doesn't always complete the start up sequence either...sometimes requires manually resetting the 100,000 unit and hitting the start button again. Hope to resolve this soon.
I don't know if the spinning wheel is the same material as the playfield plastics, but I experimented with a little heat to attemp to flatten my playfield pieces and it was obviously not going to go well. The heat softened the plastic, but it began to crackle and disintegrate when flexed.
But if the fire is what warped the spinner, maybe heat would work to straighten it. Hopefully someone has had some experience with this.

Thank you. I think I went through about 10 bottles of Mean Green just knocking off all the grime.

It was nice to see how well preserved the playfield and backglass were when I was finished. The spinning wheel is the same plastic as playfield plastics and is something I'm going to put off until the end since I have no experience reshaping plastics without damaging them. The wheel is riveted to a bakelite piece that is not warped. I need about 1/8" of clearance. Worst case scanario, I might move the lower brackets back slightly and put the head on a slight angle. That is, unless someone has a replacement head they are willing to part with that's in good shape.

Something else I forgot to mention is that I need to adjust the left flipper blade, but that is a minor repair.

#23 9 years ago

Guys can one of you with a working Sunshine post a video of game play to YouTube? There isn't one and I'd love to see it working. Thanks!

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Guys can one of you with a working Sunshine post a video of game play to YouTube? There isn't one and I'd love to see it working. Thanks!

Gimme till the spring/summer and I'll happily fullfill that request. The garage is freezing right now and I gots to find me a BG.

4 weeks later
#25 9 years ago

After years of sitting idle, I'm finally diving into my Sunshine. Not sure what the serial number is. Where is it located? I also have a warped spinner but the bakelite/phenolic is warped as well. I tried to unwarp the "100,000 when lit" which met with disaster - luckily I found a dealer with repros available. Close call but now very afraid of this spinner. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from W8CRaig:

After years of sitting idle, I'm finally diving into my Sunshine. Not sure what the serial number is. Where is it located? I also have a warped spinner but the bakelite/phenolic is warped as well. I tried to unwarp the "100,000 when lit" which met with disaster - luckily I found a dealer with repros available. Close call but now very afraid of this spinner. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mine's warped too but it doesn't protrude into where the BG is so I'm cleaning it with Novus 1 and leaving it alone.

#27 9 years ago

I am through the honey moon phase with this game and I still love it. Yes it is hard but great feeling when you get a high rating or replays.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Mine's warped too but it doesn't protrude into where the BG is so I'm cleaning it with Novus 1 and leaving it alone.

This is exactly what I'm doing. W8CRaig, I had to correct a "loose" Backglass and snug it up forward where it belongs - then I had plenty of clearance for the spinner.

#29 9 years ago

That may be the solution, reposition the spinner so it doesn't rub the glass. I know I can fabricate the phenolic back disk, all I need is the artwork. How do these reproduction outfits do it? Do they use some type of an ink-jet printer for plastics? I'd be happy making a decal and applying to some plexiglass. In the meantime, I'm applying modest weight to the disk in a warm location and giving it a month or so. Maybe the polymers will creep back flat (or flatter).

1 week later
#30 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I'm in a similar situation. Mine does protrude which makes the spinner not function as well as it could. Everything else on my game is 100% working which makes this frustrating and I'm not going to try heat. I guess I'll just live with it. I really enjoy playing this game. The 2" flipper games are a lot of fun when they have rebuilt flippers. The only thing I'm still going to do is rebuild the bumpers and unwrap the coils to give them some more zing.

#31 9 years ago

Here's a photo of the game in its new home. Right now, I have 4 pinballs up and playing, 2 flipperless assembled and ready for some work, 1 shuffle bowler that needs a lot of cleaning, and 5 machines in storage that I'll probably set up or sell.

IMG_2659.JPGIMG_2659.JPG
5 months later
#32 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Gimme till the spring/summer and I'll happily fullfill that request. The garage is freezing right now and I gots to find me a BG.

Okay, it's time to see the video!

8 months later
#33 7 years ago

I'm done with everything except the playfield. But...I need a back glass. Shay is sold out till next year and I don't think BG makes one. Other than watching eBay, which I've been doing for over a year, any ideas?

#34 7 years ago

I still have the playfield yet to do but here's a couple progress photos. I've had to make a few structural repairs to the back box and cabinet. I think somebody dropped the head at some point. The top trim was busted up at the end and there's tons of glue repair all over the head. I secured it with recessed nails so it's not obvious and resprayed just the top with a dark red. It's not a perfect match but close. The head is done and put back together. Also, I haven't cleaned the sides yet in these shots.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

The outside of the coin door looked like hell so I sanded it down and sprayed it with a cream white that matches the legs I got from PBR. The inside of the door just received some cleaning. I may get a coin block off for the front but I really wanted one of those "swoosh" returns but PBR doesn't have any. Rusted metal cleaned up as best I could. The surround around the door was really pitted.

Finally, I don't paint much. Especially on EM's. But, instead of paying ten bucks a piece on repro pop caps, I just repaint the numbers. I just have the playfield to do still but am kinda bumbed that I can't even get a repro glass right now.

Also, please remember, this is a "leftover" game. Something that was basically thrown to the side and could have went to the trash. It's taken a beating and it shows. That's what I'm working with so they'll be no full cabinet repaints here but it's definitely worth saving for some Gottlieb Woodrail fun in my Pin Room.

One other thing I'd like to note is Clay Harrell has an excellent overview on 50's Gottlieb Woodrail repair on his Ninja site. I believe it's a Classy Bowler he's working on.

3 months later
#35 7 years ago

************** Does anyone have a cabinet stencil for Sunshine ?

2 months later
#36 7 years ago

Still looking for a simple rough stencil for my 'Sunshine'.
I have been working on the Reset problem for weeks now....... very complicated Reset function on
these early Gottlieb's.
The complete reset is working better, but it still has issues.
The first problem was getting the 100k stepper to fully reset. I cleaned the entire unit and tightened that
spring. It resets, but it is not very quick to snap back to the reset position.
The other problem is the 0-9 Unit rotor is not making a tight fit against the contact rivets...... not sure what
that problem is !!!
I don't plan on painting now, but it would be nice to get a simple stencil from one of you other owners.
* I have no idea what the 'scoring scheme' for this Pin is. Is there any info anywhere so I can check the
function of the playfield parts.
John

IMG_2603 (resized).JPGIMG_2603 (resized).JPG

IMG_2583 (resized).JPGIMG_2583 (resized).JPG

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

The other problem is the 0-9 Unit rotor is not making a tight fit against the contact rivets...... not sure what
that problem is !!!

**** WoW ****** no one has posted here in 6 months.
I fixed the above problem. The lower arm on that pawl was sitting too low and was not engaging the
wheel properly; thus the wheel was sitting too high from the chassis.
I seated the arm and the rotor and wheel made better contact against the rivets.
**** Still looking for a STENCIL **********
John

2 weeks later
#38 7 years ago

I too am looking for a sunshine cabinet stencil. Does anyone know we're to find one?

3 months later
#39 6 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

**** WoW ****** no one has posted here in 6 months.
I fixed the above problem. The lower arm on that pawl was sitting too low and was not engaging the
wheel properly; thus the wheel was sitting too high from the chassis.
I seated the arm and the rotor and wheel made better contact against the rivets.
**** Still looking for a STENCIL **********
John

Quoted from lippu23:

I too am looking for a sunshine cabinet stencil. Does anyone know we're to find one?

Hi Guys , this is a Friends recently repainted Cabinet.
If you like i can get a side on pictures, then you could get a signwriter to cut them out .
The Cab was repainted by a fellow that's done dozens of Cabinet repaints , He made the stencils from acetate.
He said the stencils were hard to cut by hand, He did have to make the circles slightly smaller , it was the only way he could do it he reckons , Just letting you know .
The whole Cab needed to be reglued and repaired. But the game was playing 100% before the strip down .
I Had the Red PC legs done for him, and helped to put her back together.
New Plastic set from Pinball Rescue , These have the pictured Key fob.

Also has the last New Backglass from the US , The new glass is stunning , really well made and sealed . sorry guys .
His old Backglass was a plastic hand painted reproduction, not a bad effort . but needed a proper BG.
The owner played this in country NSW Australia back in the 60's and loves it .
DSCF1686 (resized).JPGDSCF1686 (resized).JPG

DSCF1685 (resized).JPGDSCF1685 (resized).JPGDSCF1687 (resized).JPGDSCF1687 (resized).JPGDSCF1684 (resized).JPGDSCF1684 (resized).JPGDSCF1683 (resized).jpgDSCF1683 (resized).jpg
The owner remade the timber siderails and lock down bar , As the game had later Steel side rails fitted at some stage .

1 month later
#40 6 years ago

********** Very Nice *******
Can someone tell me how the 'Scoring ' works in regards to the Roto Wheel and the numbers
listed under A, B. and C. ?
I believe it scores 100,000 on the number rollover even when it doesn't show on the Roto wheel.
BTW..... I made my own stencil.

1 week later
#41 6 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

********** Very Nice *******
Can someone tell me how the 'Scoring ' works in regards to the Roto Wheel and the numbers
listed under A, B. and C. ?
I believe it scores 100,000 on the number rollover even when it doesn't show on the Roto wheel.
BTW..... I made my own stencil.

I think that's correct ,
I will check on my mate's game , He has the schematics too...

#42 6 years ago

OK............ thanks!
I'm working on an 'intermittent short' in the playfield lights; not sure how I am
going to isolate this problem......

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

OK............ thanks!
I'm working on an 'intermittent short' in the playfield lights; not sure how I am
going to isolate this problem......

If its a No light? , that should be a normally closed switch on the reset bank , It might not be closing hard enough or is dirty .
I will get a copy of the schematics and double check .
Just trace the wire colour back to whichever no it is on the reset bank.

2 months later
#44 6 years ago

Does someone have a stencil for this game. Is the circular plastic disk in the backbox available from somewhere?

5 months later
#45 6 years ago

Hello,

Does anyone have any tips on how to take off the Backbox of this pinball machine so it can be shipped? It it just a few screws?

thanks

#46 6 years ago

Should be three bolts, one vertical in the middle and a horizontal one at each side. Also four sets of jones plugs, wiggle them apart and drop into the cab.

1 week later
#47 6 years ago

I am looking at Sunshine. It needs PF glass, at least one rail, plastics, and has a faded cabinet. Seller wants $499, which is crazy. What should I offer him? I want to bring it back to player's condition. Let's assume the PF and BG are acceptable, which they appear to be. The guts don't look hacked.

#48 6 years ago

Nevermind. It's too far gone for me to mess with it.

1 month later
#49 5 years ago

Hello all,

Im so excited. I just received my late fathers Sunshine. And have a million questions. However, Ill just limit it to a few if anyone can help.

1. Can someone tell me how to remove the front peace of wood so the playfield top glass can slide of? Do you pull it up or out towards you?
2. How do you remove the back box glass? Do you pop off the framing around it from the front on the top?
3. Anyone have a link for instructions on how to fix a flipper? The one on the right only goes up 3/4 of the way.
4. Can i buy replacement middle pop up buttons?
5. How do I know what paint to use to touch up the playfield and back glass?
6. Did anyone ever find a stencil for the side?
7. The right and left side bumpers with the decal of the sun on them are cracked. Does anyone know where to get replacements?

Thanks for the help !!

#50 5 years ago

Great that you have a family game!
First off, study this site: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair
Inside the coin door you can access two nuts or wing nuts that hold the lockdown bar. Remove them and the bar lifts up so you can slide the playfield glass out.
The back glass is removed from the back side. There is a lever inside the top of the back box, swing it out while steadying the backboard with your other hand. Carefully tilt the backboard back. This give you access to the glass, but I wouldn't remove the backglass unless necessary.
The slingshot plastics are reproduced by Pinball Rescue.
The Pinball Resource has many playfield plastics and other parts, especially for Gottlieb.
Good luck with your Sunshine.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sunshine-club-all-welcome?hl=mpellicano and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.