New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 270808)

Gottlieb Subway Tilt issue..

By tscottn

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by tscottn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Gottlieb Score Motor 3 (resized).jpg
IMG_6607 (resized).JPG

#1 5 months ago

Ok, so.. now that most of my issue are worked out and the game plays great I can see one last problem. The tilt is not working the way it should. When I tilt a game, the rules are as follows; lose that ball inb play plus one additional ball. so lets say on ball 5 I tilt, the game should drain ball 5 and start me on ball 3. this is actually happening the way it should with one issue, the player unit will move to ball 3 position however nothing will light up on the back box and the tilt light stays on, no action on the PF and the trough switch will not open to let the next ball through.. . If i manually drain ball 3 the player unit will move to ball 2, but still no action on the back box, flippers or PF. then if I manually drain ball 2 it will go to ball 1 with same scenario, then if I drain ball 1 the player unit will move to the zero position and game over will be displayed on the back box.

So part of the tilt mechanism is working correctly and part is not. Looking at the schematics I attached, it seems there is switches on the D and S relay as well as motor 4c. They all look to be in good shape. One last thing, moving the tilt plug to in or out makes no difference in what I just posted. Both positions have no effect. Would anyone have any ideas?

IMG_6607 (resized).JPG
#2 5 months ago

bump for anyone who might have any ideas?

#3 5 months ago
Quoted from tscottn:

nothing will light up on the back box and the tilt light stays on

So the Tilt relay trips and doesn't reset. Is that right? The Control Bank Reset solenoid above should fire to reset the Control Relay bank after the ball count is changed.

I think the path you need to investigate is the upper path into the Control Bank Reset solenoid in your schematic above. For the Control Bank Reset solenoid to fire:
- a switch at Score Motor 4C needs to close, which implies that the score motor needs to turn
- switches on the O relay and T relay armature need to close too

You'll need to diagnose this circuit either with alligator clip test leads or a multimeter. Visual inspection can prove that switches don't close, but can't really prove that they do close with adequate electrical conductivity.

/Mark

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

So the Tilt relay trips and doesn't reset. Is that right? The Control Bank Reset solenoid above should fire to reset the Control Relay bank after the ball count is changed.
I think the path you need to investigate is the upper path into the Control Bank Reset solenoid in your schematic above. For the Control Bank Reset solenoid to fire:
- a switch at Score Motor 4C needs to close, which implies that the score motor needs to turn
You'll need to diagnose this circuit either with alligator clip test leads or a multimeter. Visual inspection can prove that switches don't close, but can't really prove that they do close with adequate electrical conductivity.
/Mark

Thanks Mark.

So in regards to what you posted. The score motor will not turn after the tilt happens. Like I said, I still get the player unit advancing balls but the score motor will not turn. I can turn it manually and if I do, the control bank reset will still not fire. I will have a look at T and O relay with alligator clips to ensure they are closing properly.

#5 5 months ago

Player Unit or Ball Count Unit? Either way I suspect it's a Score Motor switch that's advancing the stepper and subtracting the two balls. I don't have the Subway schematic but I think that the Control Bank Reset solenoid should fire when the the Score Motor 4C switch closes which is probably just after the two balls have been subtracted but on the same Score Motor cycle.
Gottlieb Score Motor 3 (resized).jpg
This is a chart from another game but you can see that in this case the 4C switches activate at the very end of the cycle. The Ball Count could be decremented with any of the earlier pulses in the same cycle.

1 week later
#6 5 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

/Mark

Hey Mark, I finally got around to looking at this based on your suggestions I started jumping all switches involved. It finally turned out to be the switch on the T relay that was not making contact when the tilt reset the control bank. So even though the score motor advanced on 4c and the ball count unit was working as it should, It couldn't energizer to reengage the control bank. After adjusting the switch it now works as it should. Thanks again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 47.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 149.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside