Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tscottn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey guys, OK down to my last issue on my Subway restore. This is a weird one for me and has been driving me crazy for a few days now. I am ready to admit defeat and turn to all of you for some help. The Problem;

1) When any one point switch is hit on the PF the ones unit reel will increment as it should,
2) As soon as the ones unit reel moves to zero the tens unit will increment 1 point as it should. ( the 9th pos switch on the ones unit is working properly.)

Then here comes the issue...

3) As the 1 point switch is being continually hit on the PF, as soon as the ones unit moves to the 2 position it will lock on with the tens unit and move both at the same time all the way around to zero again.
4) Now the next time around the ones unit will function normally until it increments the tens unit again and then it will lock on at the number 2 and increment both at the same time all the way around again. This process will just repeat itself indefinitely...

Some things I have observed is that the 9th position switch on the ones unit is gaped and functioning correctly. Also once both reels are locked on, even if i put something between the contacts on the 9th position switch on the ones reel it will not matter as once both reels are locked on they will continue all the way around to zero together. Also, once both units are locked on, it does not matter if i actuate a 1 point switch or a 10 point switch on the PF they both will still move together all the way around to zero again and then they will not move together until i actuate a 1 point switch and it does a full revolution and then it will start the process of spinning both together again.

I believe all switches on both reels are adjusted properly. I was set on the fact that it was just the 9th pos switch on the ones reel making contact but it is not. and the fact that it happens only every other time around has me perplexed. ok please watch the video i filmed of the issue and I hope it clears up anything that may seem confusing. Thanks in advance for any help..

#2 3 years ago

heres something else I just tried .. I intentionally gaped the 9th pos switch on the ones reel extra wide and confirmed that it does not make at all.. then i shorted the 9th pos on the ones reel with alligator clips on the solder connections on the reel and let it advance the tens unit one increment, then i removed the alligator clips from the 9th pos on the ones reel and both reels will still advance together until the tens goes to the zero position and then it will not increment again until i jumper the 9th position switch on the ones reel again.

Also, just for grins I disconnected the PF from the system and incremented the ones using the N relay in the backbox. same results. I just wanted to eliminate anything on the PF.

Whats going on here? do you think there could be a short somewhere or am i just looking in the wrong place?

Edit; If I physically remove the number reel from the stepper unit and jumper the 9th position switch, advance once on the tens unit and remove the jumper it will not advance the tens unit.. so this works as it should with the number reel removed. so i believe the issue to be something with the way the reel itself is causing the 9th position to short out even though i can verify that it is not making any contact whatsoever after it moves off the 9..

#3 3 years ago

I have had that kind of problem when switches on the reels touch the metal brackets holding them in. It can even skip a reel in the middle and really drive you nuts

You’re getting closer. Keep at it.

Dave

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I have had that kind of problem when switches on the reels touch the metal brackets holding them in. It can even skip a reel in the middle and really drive you nuts
You’re getting closer. Keep at it.
Dave

thanks, so I actually found the problem. someone suggested I look at the zero switch on the tens reel and it was trying to reset back to zero . after looking at the problem I realized that this was actually what it was trying to do. but the zero pos switch on the tens reel was perfect. so tracing the schematic back i found it to be the zero switch for the tens reel on the start relay adjusted too close. so after the start sequence and when the reel moved off of zero it would just try to reset itself., after making the adjustment its all fixed. For some reason I was so focused on the 9th pos switch on the tens reel i couldn't see the actual issue. thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-subway-score-reel-problem?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.