Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7880 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_7875 (resized).jpg
IMG_7690 (resized).jpg
IMG_7853 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

My Strange world scores 15,000 points at all 5000 point targets. When all roll over and target lamps are lit in the bonus section, 15,000 points are scored whenever any target or roll over is activated.
Manually operating "E" 5000 point relay, scores 15,000.
Manually activating "Q" energizes "E" and scores 15,000.
I do have constant power from motor switch 2B to both relays as shown on the schematic.
However, what purpose does the 10 ohm, 10 watt resister have, and could that be affecting this?

IMG_7690 (resized).jpgIMG_7690 (resized).jpgIMG_7853 (resized).jpgIMG_7853 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I do have constant power from motor switch 2B to both relays as shown on the schematic.

It sounds like your E/5000 point relay remains active for three Score Motor cycles instead of releasing after one Score Motor cycle. Is that right? The Motor 2B switch should open at the end of each cycle to release the Q/Series and E/5000 point relays. Maybe it's gapped to close?

Quoted from Playdium:

what purpose does the 10 ohm, 10 watt resister have,

See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-world-scoring-relays-question

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

Mark discussed three cycles of the motor to get the 15000. If it's just one cycle, maybe the carryover between 1000s and 10000s is always closed? Is there any other suspicious behavior of the 10000 reel?
.................David Marston

#4 3 years ago

One additional thing is, it also scores 10,000 points when the ball drains. This is directly controlled by the ball hole switch and not the ball hole coil. (I bypassed the coil to try to isolate the issue, and when activating the drain switch, 10,000 points are scored and score motor cycled 2 positions.

I'll have to check that 2B switch as mentioned earlier.

Many thanks and I'll report back.

#5 3 years ago

Yes, the 2B switch operates correctly and is gapped properly. This switch has the plastic spacer on it so it is nearly impossible to be kept close while the motor rotates. I did prove this by connecting an ohms meter to the rd/wh on 2B and then across the sl/bk at both "Q" and "E" and the meter showed the circuit opening while rotating the motor.

#6 3 years ago

Can you confirm that the Score Motor goes through three cycles when 15000 is scored?

Assuming that it does, what does the E relay do as the 15000 points are scoring? Does it shut off briefly (as Motor 2B opens) and reactivate or does it stay on steadily? If it shuts off briefly then the Motor 2B switch is doing its thing and there may be something else keeping it on.

1 week later
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Can you confirm that the Score Motor goes through three cycles when 15000 is scored?
Assuming that it does, what does the E relay do as the 15000 points are scoring? Does it shut off briefly (as Motor 2B opens) and reactivate or does it stay on steadily? If it shuts off briefly then the Motor 2B switch is doing its thing and there may be something else keeping it on.

OK, getting time to work on this now. Yes, the score motor does cycle 3 times thus scoring 15,000 points. The "E" 5000 Point relay does alternate between scoring.
When all target and roll overs are contacted, the score motor continually turns while scoring 5000 points. This can be stopped by manually resetting the sequence bank. The sequence bank does fire upon start up.

#8 3 years ago

So could the issue be, sequence bank reset to score motor circuit? 2B is definitely opening upon rotation of the score motor.
When the last target is scored and all 12 bonus lamps light, continuous scoring occurs.
I placed a shim at the "Q" relay at Mar-Y/Y-Blk and this prevents the continuous scoring. This also prevents voltage from powering the "E" 5000 point relay. It seems that power is coming from the Mar/Y feeding the 5000 relay.

#9 3 years ago

OK, success!!! The constant power source to the "Q" relay and fault causing the scoring issue has been found. A bent tab on the sequence bank that was providing 25 volts was in contact with the BLK-YEL at the 1G relay location.
All scoring is now correct.
Thanks Mark G and Dave M for your input.

IMG_7875 (resized).jpgIMG_7875 (resized).jpgIMG_7880 copy (resized).jpgIMG_7880 copy (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago

I'm confused about why that particular short would have that effect on the scoring. Those tabs were essentially shorting the 3 top latched switches (1Y, 1W, 1G), which would be the same as what would happen if you hit all 3 of those #1 targets anyway. If that were shorted, I would think you'd get 5,000 pts the first and every time you hit a #1 target or rollover.

Why was that causing the motor to go 3 cycles?

I was just looking at the photo of the shorted tabs again - that lighter wire isn't Mar + Yel is it? It's just solid Mar or Or.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-strange-world-sample-scoring-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.