pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Got this for $100 a few years back and finally got around to working on it a few weeks back during some rainy nights. Wanted to share my latest fix, preserving rare games instead of parting out even games this destroyed is great fun and very fulfilling for sure. 1970 Gottlieb Stock Car, only 350 made. Now lives again and headed to my upcoming pinball museum with over a dozen other Gottlieb wedgehead family members! (We're doing more wonderful than I could ever describe, over 700 active Facebook followers before even opening, several-thousand-person daily reach around our country with our posts, heavily media featured, and our town and its downtown society will be heavily featuring us and holding a big ribbon-cutting ceremony for when we open! Things are going absolutely more amazing than we could have imagined and can't wait to have you stop by! Would really like to thank the Pinsiders who will be stopping by and have voiced their well wishes in private! We absolutely knew we could do it too!)

This was intentionally altered by the previous owner to put in a modern circuit board computer. Now running on all original hardware with no parts even needing replaced. Plays like a dream too! Fun game if you get that center spinner doing what you want it to!

- Rewired two entire relays and switch stacks
- Rewired all four score reels, switch stacks, circuit board (add-a-balls oddly only have one circuit board reel, thank god)
- Rewired kickers and switches
- Rewired outhole coil and switches
- Rewired flippers and flipper switches
- Rewired all 10 playfield rollover switches
- Rewired all other playfield switches
- Rewired ripped out 1-10 ball count backbox lights and sockets, rewired "balls to play" light and socket, "Game Over" light and socket
- Rewired transformer
- Rewired entire circuits of all 3 pop bumpers
- Rewired center playfield spinner
- Rewired part of coin door which was totally gutted, only bothered with start switch because this is going on free play
- Wasnt out of the woods yet, only then could I start repairing the actual problems with the game
- Repaired electromechanical circuits of game
- Rebuilt "balls to play" unit

Before
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

After

Before (note that all 4 wire looms are completely cut and stuffed to the side, reels could be fully removed from the game and taken across town lol!)

After

1-10, game over lights before being repaired

All finished, nice mint playfield, gotta be the nicest Stock Car left. Despite the internal damage the playfield and cabinet look amazing. Note that neither have been cleaned yet, it'll shine up even further!

Great cabinet, game will be a 10/10 original with a new backglass put in (Gottlieb greens sucked bad)

#2 5 years ago

Otaku you’re alive!! Haven’t seen you in a while! Congrats on things going so well! And nice job saving another. I’ve been picking up some games lately simply because they were going to be parted out and I feel almost obligated to save them rather then let that happen.

That’s insane they cut the entire harness off of the mechs like that. Sweet Christ what did that accomplish?! What a nightmare! You’re a brave soul to take that on

#3 5 years ago

Glad to hear that it is breathing again! Please let us know your website/FB info.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

otaku you’re alive!! Haven’t seen you in a while! Congrats on things going so well! And nice job saving another. I’ve been picking up some games lately simply because they were going to be parted out and I feel almost obligated to save them rather then let that happen.
That’s insane they cut the entire harness off of the mechs like that. Sweet Christ what did that accomplish?! What a nightmare! You’re a brave soul to take that on

Yep! Still kicking. Life is a lot more fun when you don't let too many internet people into your head, so I just stop by very rarely now and will continue to operate that way. Glad somebody missed me!

I think they cut it up because the wires on NC switches, etc., was causing undesired shorts in their custom wiring. An open circuit can be forced closed but a closed circuit can't be forced open without adjusting/activating the original hardware, thus the cuts I presume.

Quoted from hazmat7719:

Glad to hear that it is breathing again! Please let us know your website/FB info.

Thank you, and sure!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/gameseum <<<< This is the main source of our info and frequent updates (address will be announced in the next week or two in a big press release and all that)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gameseum/

----------------------------------------------

We got a few more on the way as well as some TV stuff but here's 2 of our print news articles, although ignore the Route 272 mention as we have since moved into the heart of downtown which is going to be a much bigger score for us and the city (really really awesome location with tons of benefits):

Ephrata Review, front page: http://www.ephratareview.com/news/new-arcade-will-be-a-blast-from-the-past/
Fly After 5: https://www.flyafter5.com/arts-and-life/fundraiser-spotlight-gameseum-in-ephrata/article_7053081a-6827-11e8-99b6-9b74bfeaf443.html

#5 5 years ago

Here are some but not all of the wedgeheads we will be featuring. Crazy to think that there are so many more not even pictured!

Thanks for your interest hazmat7719. PA isn't too far from MD, and with the museum actually further West than my listed location I'm sure you'll find it even easier to make the trip sometime!

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing the information on your upcoming museum. Ephrata is on the way to where my wife's family lives. They are about 20 minutes away. I will follow your social media and visit when you are open.

#7 5 years ago

When I saw the title of this post, I thought this would be about Jesus.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from hazmat7719:

Thanks for sharing the information on your upcoming museum. Ephrata is on the way to where my wife's family lives. They are about 20 minutes away. I will follow your social media and visit when you are open.

Thanks! See you there soon!

Quoted from Eric_S:

When I saw the title of this post, I thought this would be about Jesus.

No demons in this one, and thankfully no mice either.

#9 5 years ago

That playfield looks too nice to be parted out, Nice Work!!

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Thanks!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

The playfields on Stock Car and Road Race all look nice because they weren’t played much. My Road Race is sitting in a closet.

#12 5 years ago

I've said this before and I still believe it true. Em PF's have survived ten times better than any PF from the mid seventies on. Don't know if it's the lacquer or just better PF wood or the combo of the two but, they do fare far better over time.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I've said this before and I still believe it true. Em PF's have survived ten times better than any PF from the mid seventies on. Don't know if it's the lacquer or just better PF wood or the combo of the two but, they do fare far better over time.

I'm sure it's a lot of things, mostly probably the more detailed artistic work when they turned playfields into as much of art as the backglass had some sort of impact on lasting quality. For some reason it seems like the gradients and intense designs the 70's brought weren't laid down as good, more colors, less simplicity and all that. Probably because all the bold solid colors of old could be laid down hard and wide, with several layers of the same color.

That, and faster play. More ball action per game. More plays? Who knows. I definitely think you're onto something though, whatever the reason may be.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

And then eventually the art got so detailed that they stopped spraying/screening it at all and started printing it and sticking it on, which didn't fare so well either

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-stock-car-saved and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.