(Topic ID: 226914)

Gottlieb Stepper Unit Sticks (Gottlieb El Dorado)

By troxel

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240309_112416 (resized).jpg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpg
IMG_2602 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_0453 (resized).JPG
IMG_0451 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Just looking for some advice on a stepper unit that sticks. I took it apart and cleaned and re-lube it. Worked smoothly until I put it all back together. How tight do the shoulder bolt and other screw need to be? I imagine that these two points is why it's sticking. It will advance once, and then sticks on the 2nd and 3rd position then the rest are fine.

(The pictures are the before photos of the unit).

Thanks for any pointers and help!

IMG_0451 (resized).JPGIMG_0451 (resized).JPGIMG_0453 (resized).JPGIMG_0453 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

What did you clean and lube?

Generally the stepper should advance if you press the solenoid plunger all the way in and let it go. If it can't do that reliably from each position to the next you've got some friction to address. Possible reasons include:
- Shoulder bolts are too tight as you suggest. The arms that pivot around them should pivot freely.
- Contacts are worn so snowshoes snag on them as they try to slide over them.
- Showshoes don't slide easily in their shafts so they bind against the contacts.
- The gear shaft is gummed up and doesn't spin freely.
- The stepper arms don't reach far enough to grab the next gear tooth.
- The gear shaft spring is wound too tight. Four turns is about right.
- The solenoid plunger is worn or mushroomed and drags inside the coil sleeve.
- The contact board needs to be cleaned or polished.
- Pivots on the advance or reset arms are binding.

If everything has been cleaned and there's no excessive wear, little to no lube should be necessary.

/Mark

#3 5 years ago

Mark covered it, but blowing up those pictures, the rivets look pretty gnarly to me. Use some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper or a Scotchbrite pad on them, then clean with some rubbing alcohol and use a very thin coat of lube on them. You want a synthetic lube that won't harden.

The fact that it hangs up only in those spots makes me think it's not the shoulder bolt causing the mechanism to bind.

#4 5 years ago

Those pics were taken before the service. It would be useful to post pics of the 'after service'.

#5 5 years ago

Here is a pic of my replay stepper, but the same applies to the ball count unit. The screw that is circled should not be cranked down too tight. That pivot arm needs to be able to move. Back the screw out a little and tighten the nut while holding the screw. A small dab of Super Lube would help also.
Make sure the gear is pushed forward all the way before tightening the spider arm.
Try using Noxon brass cleaner for the contacts points. A drop on a micro fiber cloth will polish those up nicely. No sanding necessary.
Here's a pic is my ball count unit contact plate after polishing.

IMG_2570 (resized).jpgIMG_2570 (resized).jpgIMG_2602 copy (resized).jpgIMG_2602 copy (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago

Another thing that people do incorrectly with these steppers is to position the wiper arm mount too far in on the shaft causing the shoes to ride at the far end of their spring (and can cause gouging of the rivets). Just something else to look at. I try to position mount at 1/3 shoe travel. This is a frequent problem with roto target mechs as well.

Ken

#7 5 years ago

I would disagree with no sanding if the rivets are heavily scored.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I would disagree with no sanding if the rivets are heavily scored.

Me too...I never "polish" those...just a Stotch-brite pad cleans them up nice. The "sanding" your doing with a SB pad on a rivet like that is inconsequential.

#9 5 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the feedback and the bulleted list of things to check (@MarkG). I counted 3.5 turns for the shaft spring when I undid it, and don't know if I missed counted or not, but unwound one rotation, and now unit steps smoothly.

I had a contact that fell off one of the switches in that unit and replaced that, and now the game starts up and plays. I have few more adjustments to make, but the game is up and running.

Thanks again!

5 years later
#10 48 days ago

What does the stepper unit do, I thought this was the ball in play unit?

#11 46 days ago
Quoted from Flip-it-good:

What does the stepper unit do, I thought this was the ball in play unit?

it is... of course it also has contacts to shut the gameplay off at game over (backside stacks).

Top row of rivets, ball in play lights, bottom row of rivets, signals GO at 3 ball or 5 ball. A common issue is where the tab for GO leads will get loose/electrically isolated from the rivets. One "hack" is to rotate the tab to the right/left past its "arm" thus putting pressure on the point. Proper fix is to solder the revit fix on the backside after demounting the bakelite board.

#12 46 days ago

Gottlieb mystery part number A-15480 or
A-15?480. Can anyone identify this? It came with my Eldorado, but may be from a number of machines.

20240309_112416 (resized).jpg20240309_112416 (resized).jpg
#13 46 days ago
Quoted from Flip-it-good:

Gottlieb mystery part number A-15480 or
A-15?480. Can anyone identify this? It came with my Eldorado, but may be from a number of machines.
[quoted image]

its a guide to hold the backglass inplace. Goes in the front corner on the edge of the glass.

#14 46 days ago

Thank you sir!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-stepper-unit-sticks-gottlieb-el-dorado and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.