Rpunch (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
20171220_090819_resized (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I want to replace a rivet or two on my ball count stepper switch. I have new rivets already (from PBR) and I know how to remove old ones. I'm aware that silver solder is an option but want to learn how to replace rivets properly.

Gottlieb experts, what tool do you recommend for this purpose? Amazon link?

(I've read numerous threads but some tools are hundreds of dollars etc and others don't mention if it would work for these particular GTB rivets - just looking for something reasonably priced and just for this purpose which will have the final result of looking as factory as possible.)

Thanks in advance!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

How many times are you going to replace rivets? I would ask Steve if he could do it. Of course, T&M would prevail.

#3 6 years ago

that would seem to be a "ball in play" disk, those are readily available... i would just swap it out

#4 6 years ago

Didn't think of replacing the whole thing but that's a good idea if not too expensive - I'll see if PBR has them. (Thanks)

In any case, anyone know what inexpensive tool I can use to install these rivets properly myself (this is a hobby to me and I'm not running a business so I'm just wondering).

#5 6 years ago

I'll check my parts bin, I may have one of these. I know #Boilerman could source one as well

#6 6 years ago

I just completed this exercise on a BCU stepper from Flipper Clown. I could not find a tool that was the correct size to roll the edges of these small rivets in order to properly secure them. I have done similar rivets that were slightly larger with a hand tool that has a center tip and rolled interior edges to set the rivet (looks a little like a center punch). They are available on line from several vendors. But I could not find one for these smaller rivets. I ended up making my own setting tool and anvil. Results came out just fine. See before and after photos.

#7 6 years ago

I also sanded out the deep groves in the disc with 400 grit wet-dry sand paper.

#8 6 years ago

here's a disk i have in my parts bin, better than yours but still a slight grooving in the ball over contacts

20171220_090819_resized (resized).jpg20171220_090819_resized (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

You can carefully fill the grooves with solder and sand smooth.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

here's a disk i have in my parts bin, better than yours but still a slight grooving in the ball over contacts

Thanks pinhead52 , seems similar to mine with grooves in two rivets so for now will try to fix my disc.

Quoted from Steve_B:

I just completed this exercise on a BCU stepper from Flipper Clown. I could not find a tool that was the correct size to roll the edges of these small rivets in order to properly secure them. I have done similar rivets that were slightly larger with a hand tool that has a center tip and rolled interior edges to set the rivet (looks a little like a center punch). They are available on line from several vendors. But I could not find one for these smaller rivets. I ended up making my own setting tool and anvil. Results came out just fine. See before and after photos.

Steve_B, your repair looks great! Can you post pics of backside of disc and of tools you used?

#11 6 years ago

Here is a pic of the backside and two new rivets A-1115. I'm looking for a (relatively) inexpensive rivet tool for these (thanks).

#12 6 years ago

The back of the BCU has a wire running across all the rivets. Solder attaches the wire to the back of each rivet so the "rolled edge" of the rivet wont be seen in my repair. But the replaced rivets came out looking very similar to the original rivets before adding the solder, like the ones in your picture.

This is a picture of the BCU with the first row of rivets drilled out. The second row is original but the rivets were also drilled out and replaced after removing the solder with a solder sucker.

Don't have a picture of the tools I made. You may find a tool on line if you search under "semi-tubular rivet setting tool". As an FYI, Steve Young at PBR can probably do this repair for you. Don't know what he would charge.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Steve_B:

Don't have a picture of the tools I made. You may find a tool on line if you search under "semi-tubular rivet setting tool".

Ok will take a look - thanks.

Anyone else have any ideas for what tool to use for these Gottlieb rivets?

#14 6 years ago

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

The most accessible parts you will find are probably here. The $28 punch is what you are looking for but it is out of stock.

The die kit could be used also.

#15 6 years ago

I have an EZ squeeze rivet tool from Marco but found its function problematic.

I have found using a punch from a rivet set available on ebay cheaply works quite well utilising the punch, die & a hammer. This is the set:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-11Pcs-Craft-Tool-Kit-Set-Die-Punch-Buttom-Fastener-Rivet-Setter-Leather-Base/311876849223?epid=896993143&hash=item489d4f0e47:m:mIkGF3JkzURAoioWvAdMzwQ

& this is the specific punch within the set:

Rpunch (resized).jpgRpunch (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Thanks for your post wayner - very helpful. Is this what it looks like close up? I'm trying to find something similar on Amazon.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Thanks for your post wayner - very helpful. Is this what it looks like close up? I'm trying to find something similar on Amazon.

It is important that the dimple at the end of the punch be able to sit in the hollow end of the rivet so that when it is punched it splays the rivet end. That one you have shown just looks to have a less pronounced dimple than that needed although as you are no doubt aware pics can be deceiving.

1 week later
#18 6 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

It is important that the dimple at the end of the punch be able to sit in the hollow end of the rivet so that when it is punched it splays the rivet end. That one you have shown just looks to have a less pronounced dimple than that needed although as you are no doubt aware pics can be deceiving.

Agree, after doing more searching another name for the correct tool that I'm looking for is a *Hand Rivet Clincher* as mentioned in another thread:

Quoted from Freeplay40:

http://www.hansonrivet.com/hand-rivet-clinchers.htm
Basically with this tool you pound the back side of the rivet until it is properly formed. The head can be supported on a piece of hardwood, or in my case I usually use one of the jaws on my vise.

I think the roll pin punches (flat top with semi-circular bead on top) may do the job but I can't see how they would *roll* the semi-tubular rivets in the ideal way. Perhaps if the bead on top is just the right size it may splay the metal correctly but not sure if it would curl the metal as the rivet clinchers would above. But really roll pin punches are meant for punching out roll pins (also called tension or spring pins).

In any case, thanks MikeO (again ) for the pinrestore link for this tool (here called a Rivet Rollover Punch):

Quoted from MikeO:

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html
The most accessible parts you will find are probably here. The $28 punch is what you are looking for but it is out of stock.
The die kit could be used also.

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.46.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.46.47 PM (resized).png

I saw Hanson Rivet has all kinds of sizes some of which are available for purchase on amazon.com

http://www.hansonrivet.com/hand-rivet-clinchers.htm

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 2.00.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-04 at 2.00.28 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 2.00.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-04 at 2.00.35 PM (resized).png

#20 6 years ago

Wow, very good US price! Have you used these?

Would this tool correctly roll the metal of the rivet in a circular fashion inward toward itself with just the flat top around the pointy center? My guess would be that these transfer punches could correctly splay the rivet but would then just push the splayed metal parts out radially and not roll them inward toward itself.

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 2.59.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-04 at 2.59.34 PM (resized).png

#21 6 years ago

I just use an arbor press drilled out to accept a tubular roll die. The arbor press gives a nice consistent squeeze and the two surfaces won't shift. Since the press applies even pressure to both sides of the rivet, it's safer to use in plastic or thin metal applications.

Rivet PressRivet Press

While a manual set tool is cheaper, it doesn't offer quite as much control. I'm not saying there aren't people who can't do beautiful work with them, but for the casual user a press is easier. Of course, there are also times when you have to hand roll, because you can't reach a rivet with the press

This press will accept dies for most common sizes and you can purchase them from Hansons's rivets. https://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-Tubular-Rivet-Press-From-an-Arbor-Press/

#22 6 years ago

I have the die kit from PinRestore and had a Harbor Freight arbor press modified to take the dies. Works great. Basically had the arbor press modified just like the link in zimjoe's post outlines. The right tool for the job.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Basically had the arbor press modified just like the link in zimjoe's post outlines.

This is a pretty standard mod on these presses. PinRestore had been out of stock for months or I probably would have just bought one his kits. I saved a little money by buying my own dies, but the PinRestore kit looked like it had a few other modifications.

I had looked at those on ebay before I built mine. I was concerned that the dies would be wrong or that the modern roll dies might not fit. I didn't want to bump that old thread, but has anyone else had luck with one of those old ones?

#25 6 years ago

Thanks for the last few posts zimjoe and MikeO - very useful information!

BTW, an ebay search for "rex 27 rivet" came up with many to choose from.

3 months later
#26 6 years ago

Just came across your post. Bought one of these recently. I don't have a need for it yet but I did some practicing on the rivets that came with it. Seems to be fairly user friendly.

Third Hand Rivet Tool

http://www.arbortime.mountainminded.net/html/the_better_tonka_rivet_tool_-_.html

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from T-Tommy:

Just came across your post. Bought one of these recently.

People that have these really like them. Much easier to store in a tool box than an arbor press

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from T-Tommy:

Just came across your post. Bought one of these recently. I don't have a need for it yet but I did some practicing on the rivets that came with it. Seems to be fairly user friendly.
Third Hand Rivet Tool
http://www.arbortime.mountainminded.net/html/the_better_tonka_rivet_tool_-_.html

I need one of those, Ive got 30 targets to do on a target pool

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I need one of those, Ive got 30 targets to do on a target pool

I would love to see a video explaining how to use this properly.

#30 6 years ago

get the hand tools, unless you are doing VOLUME of these in many restorations, its really simple to do without removing/unsoldering the target from the game... You can do other things like contact 'rollover' work and so forth with some modification or the tools in the kit. Worth the 10 bucks or so at your local Chinese-Freight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-stepper-switch-rivet-tool-help-pls?hl=t-tommy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.