Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb trip bank (resized).jpg
Baseball DB1 relay (resized).jpg
Baseball Replay button (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

I have a 1970 Gottlieb 'Baseball".
It doesn't start a game when I have credits and us the start button.
It will start a game with the middle coin chute only.The outter coin chutes do nothihg.
I have checked the 2b motor switch thats suppose to lock in the S relay.
Not sure what else to look at??

#2 11 months ago

Look at the credit unit. Just because it "has credits" doesn't mean the appropriate switches are closing to give you free play. You also might have a break in the circuit somewhere between the start button and the credit wheel unit.

Worst case, you could just wire the start button directly to the functioning center coin switch but that's not a hack you should need to make.

#3 11 months ago

So the coin chute fires the S/Start relay and the Replay button doesn't? If so, that means the switches on the right side of this schematic are working:
Baseball Replay button (resized).jpg
That leaves the four switches in the red boxes that all need to close for the Replay button to work.

/Mark

#4 11 months ago

Yeap. It was the credit unit. I should have seen that.It was an open contact that should have been closed.
Thanks Crazy and Mark.
Now the motor continues to run and pulses the U relay which resets the varitargets.Both switches are open and U relay looks fine.
So the game doesn't reset because it's pulsing the U relay.
If I reset the db1 relay by hand (reset complete) the game it goes into play mode.
Hmm. Almost there
Any help is appreciated

#5 11 months ago

If you look at the schematic the U/Vari Target Reset relay will fire any time the score motor turns so I think it's the victim here, not the culprit. There are a few switches that can make the motor run, most are closed by relays. Are any relays other than U stuck on?

The O/Ball Return relay for example could be stuck on if the ball return kicker isn't working. Does the motor stop if you remove the ball? If not, check each of the switches in the motor circuit.

#6 11 months ago

It sounds like the reset sequence is almost getting to the last step. DB1 is waiting for the signal that all 6 score reels have reached zero. Have a look at the schematic to see what is required for DB1 to trip.

#7 11 months ago

Agreed. DB1 and DB2 are likely coupled together since DB2 has no coil, and DB2 will keep the motor running. In addition to the score reels there are a few other switches that need to close to trip DB1:
Baseball DB1 relay (resized).jpg

#8 11 months ago

Thanks you all for your suggestions and replies.
I found a wire off the db1 contact,so it was never going to pull in. And the contacts on the armature on control bank were not making so it was never going to reset. Those contact are really hard to see and adjust!!
I did find another wire of at the third man on base contact,but that had nothing to do apparently with the reset(or did it?)
So I'm reporting that most, if not all my issues came down to the control bank.
Thanks for the help !!

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from southofi-10:

Those contact are really hard to see and adjust!!

For anyone not aware, Gottlieb trip banks have wing nuts on the ends. If you loosen them the entire trip relay bank can be rotated up for better access to the switches and solder lugs. Just be sure to completely reseat the trip bank once you're done or you might introduce other problems.

Gottlieb trip bank (resized).jpg

#10 11 months ago

Great info.
The armature switch would be on the underside of the bank.
Banks usually include tilt and game over relays just to name a few

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winnipeg, MB
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
$ 50.00
Cabinet Parts
PinBall Reborn
$ 9.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!