View topic image gallery

Separate reel (resized).JPG
CircuitBoard (resized).JPG
BareReel (resized).JPG
TopCam (resized).JPG
L&H Relay (resized).JPG
PathsToQRelay (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

My Square Head gives 50 points two ways, at drain or by going through the left or right side lanes. Occasionally, the game will score an extra 100 points when triggering either of these 50 point score mechanisms. However, it will only do it when the 50 point score causes the 100s reel to turn over. For example:

- A 50 point score causes the score to go from 1,220 to 1,270 (not causing the 100s reel to turn over). It will always score the correct amount.
- A 50 point score causes the score to go from 1,270 to 1,320 (causing the 100s reel to turn over). It will sometimes score an extra 100 points and show 1,420.

This is the only condition that causes the extra 100 points to score. It does not do it when scoring 10 points causes the 100s reel to turn over (so not associated with the 9th position on the 10s reel?). I've included a schematic snippet to show pathways to the 100 point relay.

PathsToQRelay (resized).JPGPathsToQRelay (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

An area I don't understand on the schematic…normally closed "on add hundreds unit" through a BR-BLK wire leads to an Q 100 point relay switch to the Q 100 point relay. I don't know what 'on add hundreds unit' means or where it is.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

I don't know what 'on add hundreds unit' means or where it is.

That's the End-Of-Stroke switch on the 100 point score reel.

#4 4 years ago

Very puzzling. I checked the end of stroke switch 'on add hundreds unit' (by scoring 10 points at a time until the hundreds reel turned) and it works fine, no odd double-clutching or anything strange.

Other pathways to the 100 point Q relay in the schematic above:

1. Motor switch 1A feeds motor 1B and 2C on the way to Q (100 point) relay, but they are gapped open properly, and an open L relay (200 points and add ball) is in the path.

2. Same for 1A to 3B, it has an open C (Hole relay) in the way. I hand-rotated the score motor and 3B opens and closes properly.

3. 9th position tens unit. I don't see how that could be it since the extra 100 NEVER scores when regular play adds 10 points at a time and makes the 100 reel turn. It's ONLY when 50 points at a time (drain and side lanes) makes the 100 reel turn, then an extra 100 is sometimes added.

I've convinced myself that this can't happen! Any ideas?

I'll include a snippet of schematic with the L and H relay.

L&H Relay (resized).JPGL&H Relay (resized).JPG
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

However, it will only do it when the 50 point score causes the 100s reel to turn over.

There are typically three switches on a score reel (in addition to the End of Stroke switch HowardR mentioned) that are inactive most of the time. But when stepping from 8 to 9, 9 to 0 and 0 to 1 those three switches transition through a sequence of opening and closing. When the score reel is at 9 one of the three switches closes to share the next pulse with its neighboring score reel.

The fact that it only happens when rolling over a 9 suggests that the carry over switch is involved. The fact that it only happens when scoring 50 points suggests to me that it's the quick succession of pulses that's a factor. I wonder if you couldn't for example put the score at 80 and hit a 10 point target quickly 2 or 3 times and see the same problem.

I would have a close look at the switch stack on the 10 point score reel and compare it to the switch stack on a working score reel. In particular examine the switch that closes at 9. Check its gap. See if the arm that activates the switch stack is in the same position as on the other score reel. See if the 9 switch is jostled by the other switches as the score reel steps from 8 to 1. See if the switch stack screws are snug. You may find that the 9 switch occasionally closes momentarily when it shouldn't as the entire switch stack quickly steps through its sequence.

/Mark

#6 4 years ago

Very well stated. I'll do all that today-tomorrow and post results. May even compare ten reels between both machines, not a luxury most people would have. Henry

#7 4 years ago

Worked for quite a while on this project. Found the 9th position switch 'completes circuit to Q relay." Compared to the 10 reel on the machine that works fine. All the same settings for all switches for position 1-8, 9, 0. Did not reassemble but turned the game on and triggered the 50 point side lane dozens of times. 100 worked perfectly and never added and extra 100.

TopCam (resized).JPGTopCam (resized).JPGBareReel (resized).JPGBareReel (resized).JPG
#8 4 years ago

Put the board back on and triggered the 50s again dozens of times. Still perfect

CircuitBoard (resized).JPGCircuitBoard (resized).JPG
#9 4 years ago

Put on the reel and copper disc, triangle thing and it started jumping 100s right away, even adding 200 sometimes. I actually did this with tear downs and reassemblies and adding dozens of 50 points by the side lanes a number of times. Always went bad when I put the reel on. Checked for wire bundles in the way. Tried different tightening of the three sheet metal screws that hold the reel in. Finally got it to work without adding an extra hundreds, but not sure how.

Separate reel (resized).JPGSeparate reel (resized).JPG
#10 4 years ago

Extra hundred seems settled. I do sometimes only get 40 points or 60, but mostly 50 points when I trigger the side lane. That may be the long spring. I'll order one of those if PBR is still open.

#11 4 years ago

Still not satisfied. When I just had the circuit board on, without the copper disk and reel, I could trigger the 50 point lane 30-40-50 times and it would always give 50 points, and not add any extra hundred when the 100 reel turned over. Now with the score reel back on, the 50 point lane about 1/3 of the time gives 40, 60, even 80 points. Do I need to apply the lightest touch of SuperLube to the circuit board? Something is altering the motion. Any ideas?

#12 4 years ago

Readjusted again and sparingly applied super lube. Switched score reels (reel only, not the whole mechanism) with the 1000s. Have it back to adding 50 points reliably when the 50 point lane is triggered. Still adds an extra 100 once in a while when scoring 50 points causes the 100s reel to turn over. But, all works perfectly with the score reel off; 9, 0, 1-8 switches all good and crisp, 50 points added properly (no random 40s and 60s), no extra 100. Put the reel back on and the extra 100 shows up, remove reel, fine, etc. Very puzzling. I'm open to suggestions.

#13 4 years ago

YAY! My son (engineer) suggested changing the 10's reel EOS. I knew it was fairly good but I made it stay closed almost to the very end, and then barely open. Also tensioned the long spring by twisting it three turns, like winding up a toy airplane rubber band, and I could see the looseness fade. Maybe not the proper method, but it beat waiting for a spring to arrive in the mail. So between the EOS and the spring it's 50 points every time and no phantom 100 at roll over.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-square-head-1963-occasionally-gives-extra-100-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.