4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lodoc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Sorry, long...Have recently located this forum and want to thank all of you for giving me resources and incentive to bring back my lost skills. Also read C.H's PinRepair website fully (some sections more than once) thanks to locating it here on this forum.

Have 4 machines currently in my game room: Big Hit, Target Alpha, Big Indian and Jumping Jack. I shopped all early 80's, did complete PF take-downs and were fully functional. They have since fallen in to disrepair and when guests come over they barely work so I'm gathering supplies and parts. I still have all my tools and needed specialty items like files, burnishers, benders, etc. And since I'm part-time now and our office volume is decreased by Covid-19 have some spare time.

I've started on Big Hit. All the stepper units are gummed up w ancient lube and that appears to be the main issue. So I bought a gallon of 99% isopropyl, a tube of TTF lube and went to work. I am putting together an order from PBR for parts. I'm going to replace tired barrel and shooter springs plus buy a couple of extra wiper springs. My question is the spring kits KT-GSTEP -01,02,04,05 they sell which appear to be the ones I need for my games. Any opinions on springs that are particularly problematic/weak/prone to failure I should replace now when I disassemble the various units? Or should I start by simply buying one of each kit and just see how they look/appear to provide the advance or return function as I go through them replacing only the 'buggered, broken' springs?

#2 4 years ago

I have rarely needed to replace springs during a resto but have a number of spare stepper units etc for parts should the need arise. But no harm in securing a range of kits.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I have rarely needed to replace springs during a resto

I agree. Springs don't often wear out unless they've been abused, rusted or broken. More often they've been stretched out to overcome some other problem (wear, friction, dirt, etc.). Stretched springs should be replaced.

/Mark

#4 4 years ago

I found the stepper spring kits from PBR to be ok, but they are in no ways as beefy as OEM.
    I wound up just shortening the originals a loop or two when I could.

#5 4 years ago

Ok, thanks. In the day was rather green - mechanically inclined but naive about the machines. Before I found the 78' GTB parts catalog (around here somewhere - still can't find) and could order specific parts or the WICO catalog would go to auto parts or hardware stores and find 'like' springs, alter and make the machines functional. Then I found Empire distributors in SE Michigan. They had almost everything at that time but are long gone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-springs-spring-kits-1970-s-vintage-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.